Page 123 of 370 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 133 173 223 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    I can't believe they had to fire him, they couldn't ask him to stay and go back to being the PP coach? frick.
    I don't think that would have gone over very well......

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I was just going through some ECHL alumni lists, looking for guys who became productive NHL forwards after working their way up from that league.

Parenteau, Burrows, Ryder, and Peverley are obviously all the bigger names there. I was trying to see what kind of chances Arcobello might have, and I'm certainly downgrading my opinion on him. He's been such a great player at every level, and even showed flashes at the NHL level, but his size is a huge concern now that I look at it again.

Parenteau 6' 190+ lbs
    Peverley 6' 190+ lbs
    Burrows 6'1, almost 190 lbs
    Ryder 6'1", 200 lbs

Arcobello 5'9 165 ..... ouch.

He's a smart player, who works hard, and even plays physical despite his size, but I can't help but feel he's such a long shot to make it at this point now, no matter how much I'd love to see it.
    Thanks for this, I've been thinking about looking into the success rate of players climbing from ECHL to NHL. I knew there wasn't many

How is Arcobllo's skating ? Smaller players don't get many chances, but if they aren't exceptional skaters it's nearly impossible. Desharnais is a recent exception to that though.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by c_robio View Post
    Desharnais is a recent exception to that though.
    He is a great example. Didn't he male it to the NHL in the same season he started in the ECHL or at least within like a one year period?.... Arcobello can play in the NHL IMO. He just needs the chance to stick. He'll get his shot at camp. Draisatl is big and fills a need for the Oilers but he isn't a lock.. There's a spot wide open at C there if you ask me.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks for this, I've been thinking about looking into the success rate of players climbing from ECHL to NHL. I knew there wasn't many

How is Arcobllo's skating ? Smaller players don't get many chances, but if they aren't exceptional skaters it's nearly impossible. Desharnais is a recent exception to that though.
    He's a strong skater for sure. He's smart as well, which is a big thing he'll need. The biggest knock I have on him is he seems unable to finish good scoring chances when he's had them gifted to him. Many times Arcobello would have phenomenal chances to score but blow it.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    He is a great example. Didn't he male it to the NHL in the same season he started in the ECHL or at least within like a one year period?.... Arcobello can play in the NHL IMO. He just needs the chance to stick. He'll get his shot at camp. Draisatl is big and fills a need for the Oilers but he isn't a lock.. There's a spot wide open at C there if you ask me.
    Desharnais did play in the ECHL. I meant he was able to stick despite being tiny and not a great skater which is the double whammy
    For not getting a chance in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's a crapshoot, but what would you all figure happens with lines this year?

The Oilers website has the depth chart/lines as follows (LW - C - RW):
    Hall - RNH - Eberle
    Perron - Gordon - Yakupov
    Pouliot - Arcobello - Purcell
    Hendricks - Lander - Pitlick

Do you think Pouliot shuffles onto line 2 given the money they are paying him? Will Perron/Yak keep a spot in the top 6?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If those are the 4 centers, you aren't playing Gordon at 2C and Arco at 3C. That's completely backwards on their skill sets. Arco isn't a defensive checking center, but he's got some hands and can make some plays. Gordon is a pretty good checker, but he might as well be wearing oven mitts not hockey gloves.

I think 4 of the top 6 is pretty set. Hall-RNH-Eberle-Perron are fixtures.

I think Arco-Draisatl is gonna take one of these spots. Preferrably Arco and let Leon go back to junior.

That leaves Pouliot, Yak, Purcell for 1 top 6 spot.

It should be Yak. He easily has the most talent of those 3. He is also the worst suited for a checking role. But Eakins is an idiot, so I bet it will be Purcell (who is a good player, but he can fill out the "checking" role better than Yak), and Pouliot-Gordon-Yak will make up the third line.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    It's a crapshoot, but what would you all figure happens with lines this year?

The Oilers website has the depth chart/lines as follows (LW - C - RW):
    Hall - RNH - Eberle
    Perron - Gordon - Yakupov
    Hendricks - Lander - Pitlick

Do you think Pouliot shuffles onto line 2 given the money they are paying him? Will Perron/Yak keep a spot in the top 6?
    I feel putting a gifted passer like Purcell onto Yak's line gives him the best chance to succeed.

I hope Perron gets those 2nd line minutes, and the 3rd line gets sheltered minutes, and looks like: Yakupov - Arcobello/Gordon/Draisaitl - Purcell
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Master

Desharnais did play in the ECHL. I meant he was able to stick despite being tiny and not a great skater which is the double whammy
    For not getting a chance in the NHL.
    Absolutely.. I was even more impressed with the mercurial rise from that league to the NHL.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    I feel putting a gifted passer like Purcell onto Yak's line gives him the best chance to succeed.

I hope Perron gets those 2nd line minutes, and the 3rd line gets sheltered minutes, and looks like: Yakupov - Arcobello/Gordon/Draisaitl - Purcell
    Makes sense. And then the second line looks something like Pouliot - Arcobello/Gordon - Perron? That would be a nice bump in playing time for Pouliot.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Makes sense. And then the second line looks something like Pouliot - Arcobello/Gordon - Perron? That would be a nice bump in playing time for Pouliot.
    It would also give the Oilers a different look - a bit more size and sandpaper. That would be 3 lines that would have a legitimate scoring option on each one.

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Dobber Sports Ninja

Draisaitl and Yakupov have been two peas in a pod this summer it seems, so I wonder if they will get some line time together to start.

Hall-RNH-Eberle seems like a lock for L1

Perron - Draisaitl - Yakupov

Hendricks/Gordon/Pitlick/Lander/Gazdic on L4

That's what I'd like, though I could see Yakupov and Purcell switch lines.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Draisaitl and Yakupov have been two peas in a pod this summer it seems, so I wonder if they will get some line time together to start.

If this is true, thats great. I'm sure Yak kinda gets excluded from the Hall-RNH-Eberle group (not saying the dressing room is cliquey, I just think these 3 hang out outside the rink) and lots of the team is older. Like Seguin/Benn bonding, sometimes you just need a bud to chill with.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I didn't know that about Yak & Draisaitl - maybe they'll get "joined at the hip" like Hall/RNH?

As a Yakupov owner, I would LOVE that.

Dobber Sports Ninja

http://oilonwhyte.com/2014/08/10/sum...pov-draisaitl/

They are even rooming together over the summer according to several sources.