Page 104 of 370 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 114 154 204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Administrator

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Spezza!
    Well that's not happening.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah doesn't help either team out really!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Oilers can use a high end centerman as well, so I'm fine with whoever they pick first round (even though it seems to be pointing towards Draisaitl). Unless they are getting a really great defenseman back I don't see them trading the pick.

Administrator

Drasaitl would be pretty snazy. Stick him in the Couturier/Jordan Staal spot. Hopefully he's got that sort of game. I only know he's huge.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Rumours are bubbling that Bob Nicholson may be in line to be President of the Oilers in the near future. Now, this is from Bob McCown, so it's certainly no lock, but if that means goodbye to Lowe then fire away!!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Ekblad would have been nice, but whoever they draft isn't going to be the answer to the Oiler problems, Ekblad included. You look at how long it takes some highly touted defensemen to actually become impact players and you're looking at a few years before he would even be a difference maker for them.
    It probably won't be an immediate impact but when you look at teams with real success in the playoffs, most of them feature a dominant defenseman that can play in all situations. Lidstrom, Chara, Neidermeyer, Keith, Doughty, we haven't (and no teams in recent history that I can think of) have been able to get one through free agency, so I'd rather they start drafting and developing one sooner rather than later.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    It probably won't be an immediate impact but when you look at teams with real success in the playoffs, most of them feature a dominant defenseman that can play in all situations. Lidstrom, Chara, Neidermeyer, Keith, Doughty, we haven't (and no teams in recent history that I can think of) have been able to get one through free agency, so I'd rather they start drafting and developing one sooner rather than later.
    Good points.

Ryan Suter comes to mind as the only major dman who signed as a free agent recently, but he hasn't led the Wild to anything yet.

I'd even extend what you are saying and argue that no one is even able to land forwards through free agency that ultimately help them all that much. Brad Richards, Zach Parise, Kovalchuk, Gaborik...just off the top of my head, those are some players that signed huge contracts as free agents and none of them lived up to the hype (seems a bit unfair to include Parise with those others cause he still has time).

Basically, I completely agree that trying to build a contending team through Free Agency is not the way to go. It requires a combination of building through the draft and some shrewd trades. Some of the Oilers' recent trades have paid nice dividends (Perron, Scrivens), but they need to make some more key moves if we want to move to the next level.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Good points.

Ryan Suter comes to mind as the only major dman who signed as a free agent recently, but he hasn't led the Wild to anything yet.

I'd even extend what you are saying and argue that no one is even able to land forwards through free agency that ultimately help them all that much. Brad Richards, Zach Parise, Kovalchuk, Gaborik...just off the top of my head, those are some players that signed huge contracts as free agents and none of them lived up to the hype (seems a bit unfair to include Parise with those others cause he still has time).

Basically, I completely agree that trying to build a contending team through Free Agency is not the way to go. It requires a combination of building through the draft and some shrewd trades. Some of the Oilers' recent trades have paid nice dividends (Perron, Scrivens), but they need to make some more key moves if we want to move to the next level.
    Except, you know, respectability.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Except, you know, respectability.
    Why you gotta be like that md26?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Why you gotta be like that md26?
    Because I'd love to cheer for a respectable NHL team again.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Because I'd love to cheer for a respectable NHL team again.
    It's been a while, that's for sure. I think they are probably going to be decent in goal with Scrivens and Fasth splitting time until one of them takes over (sorry, I mean IF). I'm curious what they will do with that 3rd overall pick this year; will they try to package it off for tangible assets or make the pick and then trade other assets (players) for what they lack. I know they won't get it all done in one off-season, but it would be nice to see at least some results next season.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    It's been a while, that's for sure. I think they are probably going to be decent in goal with Scrivens and Fasth splitting time until one of them takes over (sorry, I mean IF). I'm curious what they will do with that 3rd overall pick this year; will they try to package it off for tangible assets or make the pick and then trade other assets (players) for what they lack. I know they won't get it all done in one off-season, but it would be nice to see at least some results next season.
    I actually like the direction. When they went the "blow it up" route it was always going to take a long time. Even though they won three straight draft lotteries that was never going to be enough to turn things around. The Penguins, Blackhawks and Capitals each had to suck for a while and they drafted generational talent. The Oilers weren't so fortunate even with where they picked. Now they've got a tandem I am comfortable with (LOVE SCRIVENS) and the defense prospects are starting to come along.

It's also nice to know they aren't going to be making another coaching change. A little continuity on that front could go a long way. I've no idea if Eakins is the right guy for this team or if he's even a good coach but I like what he has to say. He clearly has an understanding of what the end goal should be. I'm more than willing to live with some growing pains on his part along with everyone else in the franchise. Sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn but in previous years there's been no patience for the learning process for coaches.

But to my point about Suter - stick Suter on this team and it's a playoff team or damn close to it. That's the impact of a guy like him. He turns 25-30 minutes of every game into safe minutes and it let's everyone else fall into a role that better fits their abilities. They don't grow on trees though so they need to build another way.

Dobber Sports Stud

The only thing I'd be worried about is Yak. How short is his leash in EDM?
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    The only thing I'd be worried about is Yak. How short is his leash in EDM?
    There is no leash any more. They are ready to cut him loose at the first good offer.

Dobber Sports Stud

There is no leash any more. They are ready to cut him loose at the first good offer.
    Probably the best bet for both sides at this point. Gotta think EDM won't get full value for him, unless a team is willing to gamble. Or package him in a bigger trade.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G