Page 229 of 370 FirstFirst ... 129 179 219 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 239 279 329 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Lucic and Reinhart moves have to be considered mistakes. They paid a pretty steep price for Reinhart who until that point had shown absolutely nothing at the pro level.

Talbot looked like a brilliant, brilliant move last year. It probably still was.

Hall for Larsson will be argued forever. Until the latter peaks, we won't know and he hasn't peaked yet. Right now the move looks average at best, though.

Eberle trade was bad but they needed cap space. The rough part is that they got the never-was Ryan Strome back.. I wonder what other returns there were around the league... maybe none, who knows.
    Agreed with all of this. The Reinhart deal was just really bad. Not to give pass to Chiarelli, because as GM the buck has to stop with him, but there were several reports that many people within the Oilers organisation were high on Reinhart because he played Jr. Hockey for the Oil Kings (owned by the Oilers) and was the captain of the Memorial cup Winning team. Chiarelli was brand new to the team at the time and may have over relied on others opinions in making the deal. The deal still stings though.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    So what exactly are these "good moves" he has made? Everyone keeps alluding to these good moves - so what are they exactly?

Bad moves:
    -Hall for Larsson
    -Eberle for Strome
    -Dealt away picks which could have been Eriksson-Ek or Barzal for Reinhart who played all of 29 games
    -Dealt away Schultz - who carried the Pens blue line in the playoffs to the cup - for a bag of pucks
    -Signed old man Lucic to a long term contract

Good:
    -Signed Caggiula
    -Picked up Talbot

Is that the gist of it?
    This isn't really even an exhaustive list. You can add

Bad:
    Kris Russell extension
    Benoit Pouliot buyout

Good:
    Pat Maroon Acquisition

"Pass":
    Draisaitl Extension

The big disconnect is the categorizing. As you can see, most Oilers fans somehow think the Larsson trade was good and the Lucic signing was good. They call the Eberle trade necessary for cap space even though the Oilers have 8 million in cap space right now.

They'd probably put the Pouliot buyout in the category of good, even though it wasn't. They'd grade the Draisaitl extension as "good" even though Edmonton quite obviously overpaid him by about $2 million per year, which is significant. I actually wouldn't call the Schultz trade bad. Plain and simple, he wasn't going to turn into this player in Edmonton. Some guys just need a change of scenery.

Then there's other more minor moves you can quibble about.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

The big disconnect is the categorizing. As you can see, most Oilers fans somehow think the Larsson trade was good
    Where you getting that from? A couple posters here are the majority? I think I know more Oilers fans then you since you live in Cgy, the majority I know hated, and still hate that deal.

ps. B.Pouliot absolutely stinks. Couple years ago he was decent, but nowadays I think hes checked out of being a pro athlete and just likes the paycheck he receives.
    Tho you could argue they'd have been better paying him 4 mill for another year, then paying 1.3 for an additional 3 yrs. Good topic to discuss actually. He gave us some good PK minutes in prior years, something the team sucks at now.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can consider Hall for Larsson a good trade... by any measure lol

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't know how anyone in their right mind can consider Hall for Larsson a good trade... by any measure lol
    I don't think there are many people saying it was "good," just that there are a lot of people who still feel it's a wait and see situation. It definitely wasn't as bad as a lot of people say it was though. Not a great trade, but one made to fill a need, coming from a weak bargaining position. I don't think there was likely any better option available to GMPC, and it really felt like he had been given a timeline of that summer to make some kind of deal for a dman.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Where you getting that from? A couple posters here are the majority? I think I know more Oilers fans then you since you live in Cgy, the majority I know hated, and still hate that deal.

ps. B.Pouliot absolutely stinks. Couple years ago he was decent, but nowadays I think hes checked out of being a pro athlete and just likes the paycheck he receives.
    Tho you could argue they'd have been better paying him 4 mill for another year, then paying 1.3 for an additional 3 yrs. Good topic to discuss actually. He gave us some good PK minutes in prior years, something the team sucks at now.
    I live in Edmonton and the same fans that still rant on about Hall being traded away are the same 'know it alls' that still think that Lowe and McTavish are the true puppet masters in the Oiler brain trust. Same fans that would rather eat their own young than admit they may be wrong, but you challenge them on it and they back down pretty quick. Oiler fans can be horrible.... same disease that runs through every Canadian NHL market.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post

It's not about whether he's good or not, it's about whether he's a better option than Puljujarvi, Khaira, Strome, Cammaleri, Caggiula, Kassian. I'd argue he is better than at least some of those names. I thought I recently say that his underlying numbers were half decent considering the team he is playing for.

As for the Hall-Larsson trade, this thread is littered with Oilers fans "coming around" on the trade saying it was necessary and decent. It wasn't, and it wasn't.

Dobber Sports Stud

Cracked ribs are really painful as it hurts to breathe.

So sleeping is uncomfortable and you are often stuck on your back which is difficult for proper rest as we toss and turn during the night. When the Nuge turns during the night he may quite likely be woken from a deep sleep with a stab of pain...

Meds help dull things but that brings up other issues.

Heal up kid,
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Cracked ribs are really painful as it hurts to breathe.

So sleeping is uncomfortable and you are often stuck on your back which is difficult for proper rest as we toss and turn during the night. When the Nuge turns during the night he may quite likely be woken from a deep sleep with a stab of pain...

Meds help dull things but that brings up other issues.

Heal up kid,
    Been there a couple times, the worst was puking with two broken; but anything like coughing, sneezing, or even laughing is agony. Taking a deep breath is almost impossible without a ton of pain. I'd expect that to be his biggest hindrance to coming back, between feeling out of breath and just being distracted by the pain, it's a lot to work through. The Oil sure will miss him out there... At least they're pretty much already done for the year anyhow.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    Been there a couple times, the worst was puking with two broken; but anything like coughing, sneezing, or even laughing is agony. Taking a deep breath is almost impossible without a ton of pain. I'd expect that to be his biggest hindrance to coming back, between feeling out of breath and just being distracted by the pain, it's a lot to work through. The Oil sure will miss him out there... At least they're pretty much already done for the year anyhow.
    All the potential injuries they escaped last season are back to the same pace as previous years.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    All the potential injuries they escaped last season are back to the same pace as previous years.
    True. Doesn't excuse their poor season, but yes, still true.

Dobber Sports All-Star

So the Oilers hire Paul Coffey as a development coach. I'm not sure how much of an effect he will have on the players after being away from the game for 17 years. The game has evolved so much since. Seems like a desperation move by the organization.

Dobber Sports Deity

More of the same ole boys club. I am not a big fan of the hire. That being said, if he can help the current group of D move the puck better I can see it being worth while. That's a bit IF though.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    So the Oilers hire Paul Coffey as a development coach. I'm not sure how much of an effect he will have on the players after being away from the game for 17 years. The game has evolved so much since. Seems like a desperation move by the organization.
    A move to get some positive media in the city? Kind of like a magic trick..... We want you to look over here - We hired Paul Coffey .... when the real magic is happening somewhere else?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Pro

Think its a whole lot of nothing with this Paul Coffey hire. He's a part time skills development coach, not just for the Oilers but the AHL team and prospects as well. His full-time gig is still coaching his sons Bantam team.
    He isnt part of the coaching staff or management team. He isnt replacing anyone who was there prior.
    Tho with the way Chiarelli has operated at times I'm kinda missing the old boys club. How do we get Messier as GM and Doug Weight out of NYI as our coach? Embrace it gang its inevitable.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer