Page 100 of 370 FirstFirst ... 50 90 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 110 150 200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 5545

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You can say he doesnt care but I am willing to bet you he wants to win. Show me a filthy rich person who want to lose at anything (OK, maybe Ballard but those types are few and far between). Anyone successful in life wants to be successful in everything they do, it's in their nature to not fail. Right now, this franchise is failing big time.
    Unfortunately, sports franchises just aren't the passion projects for every owner the way we wish that they were. Sports team ownership should be based on a love for the game but all too often these guys look at the bottom line - am I making money. For most of them making money is winning.

They look at sports team ownership on a few fronts. The first is as a badge of honour - look I've made it. The second is as a business investment. Look at how the value of NHL franchises has ballooned. According to Forbes Katz paid $170 million for the Oilers. I've read other figures but I'm going with Forbes on this one. At this time last year Forbes estimated the franchise value at $225 million and that value will only go up once he gets his publicly funded new arena. At that point, he can sit back and count his fat stacks, put the team up for auction or keep milking the undaunted fans.

We all assume that these super-competitive businessmen want to win but when they have their own definition of winning that can and often does, put them at odds with the fans. I don't know that that is the case here but considering Katz is still the chairman and CEO of his company I would say that he is still in the business of making money. He probably doesn't have the time necessary to be a great owner and a great businessman at the same time. So he looks at the bottom line, whether this venture is profitable or not and it is so why would he raise an eyebrow at the inferior product on the ice?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Wow. The Oilers really have a knack for saving the worst for the biggest stages......that was another completely embarrassing HNIC for the Oil. They showed zero fight and deserved every boo they got from the poor fans that paid money to see that garbage.
    I was there for that game, paid up for some beauty seats, first time at Rexall, drove 6hrs on icy roads one way.....and.....that happened.
    One Detroit fan called the Oilers "Jones's Junior B's" ...and I couldn't argue!

The Great One

They have to develop a franchise dman from within the organization. They did well to get Schultz, but they won't get many opportunities like that. And despite having the first overall pick so often, they've drafted quite a few dmen that just haven't developed as hoped and others that still have a chance (Nurse, Klefbom, etc.).

It bugs me when I see how good some young dmen look on other teams (Brodin immediately comes to mind) and I wish we could have lucked out by drafting someone like that. Most of the best dmen in the league right now have been drafted and developed by the team they are currently with (Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Subban, OEL, Karlsson, Letang, Yandle, Seabrook, Keith, etc.) and many of them were not high draft picks (as in top 5 picks). Your scouts have to identify these guys and then you have to develop them properly. It is hard to be patient, but that is our only choice at this point.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    They have to develop a franchise dman from within the organization. They did well to get Schultz, but they won't get many opportunities like that. And despite having the first overall pick so often, they've drafted quite a few dmen that just haven't developed as hoped and others that still have a chance (Nurse, Klefbom, etc.).

It bugs me when I see how good some young dmen look on other teams (Brodin immediately comes to mind) and I wish we could have lucked out by drafting someone like that. Most of the best dmen in the league right now have been drafted and developed by the team they are currently with (Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Subban, OEL, Karlsson, Letang, Yandle, Seabrook, Keith, etc.) and many of them were not high draft picks (as in top 5 picks). Your scouts have to identify these guys and then you have to develop them properly. It is hard to be patient, but that is our only choice at this point.
    Solid. BUT! lol, always a but... he isn't wrong. BUT if you look at the previous 10 yrs drafts and notice the very good D in the game now, you will notice that a shocking number of them were drafted late comparable to the quality they bring. .....which is sort of what Seadog impied....so why the 'but'?
    So BUT....we don't have time to wait to develop a top D! Its been 7 years! It can sometimes take 7 yrs or more to develop a quality Dman....shit Im getting depressed.
    Seems to me that great D is far harder to predict than great O. Thats why so many early picks are wasted on the 'next Lidstrom' and so many late first rounders and second rounders excel in the D world.
    No answers here, just babbling. If you have time, its kind of fun to bring up the last 10 years of top picks and see how many D are busts.
    umm.......Go Oilers?

Oh...and 'Patient' ....as Oilers fans what are we other than....'patient' and......'disgruntled'
    Last edited by spoilers; November 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM.

Dobber Sports Deity

Taylor Fedun was recalled today by the Oilers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Looking for some insight on Hemsky.

I know hes cold now, but in general is he looking good? When Hall is back is he still a top six guy?

Thanks!!
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Looking for some insight on Hemsky.

I know hes cold now, but in general is he looking good? When Hall is back is he still a top six guy?

Thanks!!
    Im probably a little biased, as Ive always been a Hemsky fan. IMO, he certainly is a top six guy, on almost any team out there! His skill is undeniable, and his effort is usually very underrated. Hemmer's issue is usually his health, lately.....his issue is the awful attitude of the Oil....long story short, 'Is Hemsky still a top six guy?' ...... Absolutely. No question.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by spoilers View Post
    he certainly is a top six guy, on almost any team out there! His skill is undeniable, and his effort is usually very underrated. Hemmer's issue is usually his health, lately.....his issue is the awful attitude of the Oil....long story short, 'Is Hemsky still a top six guy?' ...... Absolutely. No question.
    Ouch...bias certainly outed. If only by the statement "top 6 on any team out there". He hasn't even locked down top 6 on a horrible oiler squad that is in dire need of vet presence. He's been bounced around from 2nd to 3rd line in EDM. Talented? Yes...but fringe top 6 IMO.

Injury prone? Absolutely! So much so it really is a knock to his value rightly or wrongly (mike Green syndrome)

All that said...would love to see how he would respond to a change in scenery.

Dobber Sports Star

Im contending and have been offered Hemsky for Berglund.

Yay or nay?

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yay or nay?
    hmm is it the team in your sig?
    As much as a Hemsky fan that I am, Im holding Berglund on this one. 5 years younger, still hasn't met his potential IMO.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by spoilers View Post
    hmm is it the team in your sig?
    As much as a Hemsky fan that I am, Im holding Berglund on this one. 5 years younger, still hasn't met his potential IMO.
    ya my sig team. Im in a 4 way tie for first and Bergy just aint cuttin it or even getting PP time. Not like Hemsky is much better, but at this point I am looking at it as a one year deal.

Does Hemsky put up decent numbers the rest of the year?

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Prodigy

ya my sig team. Im in a 4 way tie for first and Bergy just aint cuttin it or even getting PP time. Not like Hemsky is much better, but at this point I am looking at it as a one year deal.

Does Hemsky put up decent numbers the rest of the year?
    That is really hard to say. He started strong, but the Oilers as a whole seem ... depressed. I have to think the Oilers will get better as the season goes on, win some games.
    God I want to believe Hemsky will pick it up again...but I wouldnt bet on it. in the end, Id wager Hemsky and Berglund are within just a few points from eachother at years end. Keep in mind Hemsky is hurt a lot...
    In a keeper, I don't know if the risk of gaining a few points this year is worth the gamble.
    Then again, its so close, do it! When he's on his game Hemsky is great!

Dobber Sports Stud

Yay or nay?
    I see it this way, if the Oilers as a team turn it around Hemsky will ramp it up. If he gets traded he will ramp it up.

Berglund is not going to get any better than he already has in St. Louis, too much quality ice time shared by so many quality forwards. I wouldn't expect more out of the guy unless he is traded.

Bottom line, I'd take Hemsky because I think he is more likely to get traded and put in a position to score more.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    I see it this way, if the Oilers as a team turn it around Hemsky will ramp it up. If he gets traded he will ramp it up.

Berglund is not going to get any better than he already has in St. Louis, too much quality ice time shared by so many quality forwards. I wouldn't expect more out of the guy unless he is traded.

Bottom line, I'd take Hemsky because I think he is more likely to get traded and put in a position to score more.
    Makes sense. See ya Bergy.

Not watching the game, but it looks as though Hemsky getting loads of PP time. Just hope there is still room in the top 6 when Hall returns.

Thanks!

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Sage

Wish I started Gordon tonight (damn you Giroux *shaking fist*).
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko