Page 60 of 606 FirstFirst ... 10 50 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 70 110 160 560 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Ross10019 with his thoughts on the game (posted in another thread):

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I was at the game.

Kaberle looked pretty good. Nervous to start, you could tell, but then settled down and the puck movement on the two first PP chances was quite good in large part due to Kaberle's QBing. He has years of experience in that role and you can see it in the little things that in the end are crucial, like handling a clearing attempt against the boards on his backhand and quickly moving it to the forehand and distributing it to an open man. Let's face it, we didn't trade for this guy wanting him to play stellar stay-at-home, he's never been relied upon for that even in his Leafs heyday, he's here to move the puck and to improve the PP, that's it. So far so goof.

Here are some notes from the game:

- Emelin undressed by Parise, but also made a nice defensive play shielding the puck from an aggressive forechecker and turning it back up ice.
    - Kaberle nervous but good puck movement on PP, and took advantage of loose puck and shot
    - Cole with nice aggressive entry effectively using his size and speed.
    - Price stellar
    - Cammy lackadaisical
    - Fantastic puck movement on 2nd PP - Kaberle master at leeping it in on the boards on his backhand, also seems to be shooting.
    I have family over so I'll chime in later.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

thanks Eric, I was going to re-post here once I got home, I posted on the other thread from my blackberry hence the horrid grammatical errors ("so far so goof"!)

Habs looked ok. Interesting that they paired Emelin with Kaberle, makes sense, the big hitter with the puckmoving guy who is known for being a tad soft. Seemed to work well.

Another angle to this whole Kaberle thing that I have not seen mentioned anywhere in this forum is the relationship between Kaberle and Plekanec. They became very close after the 2010 Olympics and other world tourneys and as far as I recall Plekanec may have lobbied for the Habs to trade for him back when he was still with the Leafs.

A good sign vis-a-vis Kaberle is that he took lots of shot towards the net (only registered 1SOG but had 3 attempts blocked). Many of the shots were wristers from the point, he's not a big point blast guy obviously, but it is not a coincidence that he shot when he had the chance, the team must have made it very clear that we need him to shoot to keep the opposing team's PK guessing, otherwise it's too easy to just overload on PK's side waiting for the pass from Kaberle. It is critical that Kaberle shoot as much as possible. Of course, that was a constant criticism when he was a Leaf, and even onto the Bruins last year, that pass-first mentality.

No 22, I guess we haven't retired good ol' little Stevey Shutt's number, yet.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Genius

thanks Eric, I was going to re-post here once I got home, I posted on the other thread from my blackberry hence the horrid grammatical errors ("so far so goof"!)

Habs looked ok. Interesting that they paired Emelin with Kaberle, makes sense, the big hitter with the puckmoving guy who is known for being a tad soft. Seemed to work well.

Another angle to this whole Kaberle thing that I have not seen mentioned anywhere in this forum is the relationship between Kaberle and Plekanec. They became very close after the 2010 Olympics and other world tourneys and as far as I recall Plekanec may have lobbied for the Habs to trade for him back when he was still with the Leafs.

A good sign vis-a-vis Kaberle is that he took lots of shot towards the net (only registered 1SOG but had 3 attempts blocked). Many of the shots were wristers from the point, he's not a big point blast guy obviously, but it is not a coincidence that he shot when he had the chance, the team must have made it very clear that we need him to shoot to keep the opposing team's PK guessing, otherwise it's too easy to just overload on PK's side waiting for the pass from Kaberle. It is critical that Kaberle shoot as much as possible. Of course, that was a constant criticism when he was a Leaf, and even onto the Bruins last year, that pass-first mentality.

No 22, I guess we haven't retired good ol' little Stevey Shutt's number, yet.
    I also heard that Plecks was friendly with Spacek. And Spacek was great in the room. I'm glad to see him gone for one. I don't think he could see straight. SOrta like me right now.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    And Spacek was great in the room.
    You mean the trainer's room right?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    You mean the trainer's room right?
    Precisely.

Administrator

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...gument-starter

Raising the exact question I asked when evaluating the Kaberle trade...

Administrator

Also, with all of the recent movement and all the questions being raised about how the team will handle its rosters situation, I thought I'd post the capgeek.com breakdown of the Habs' finances.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2

It says 300k in cap space but that includes Markov and White who are on IR. Once Gionta returns I can actually see Weber being moved.

Dobber Sports Genius

Even tho I like Weber...we have to trade him...get SOMETHING for him...a nice 3rd pick hopefully.

Campoli, if ANYONE would take him, trade him too.

Thats what I would do in my fantasy league anyway! lol

The bear HAS to stay in the lineup or we lose him to pouting.

Administrator

Even tho I like Weber...we have to trade him...get SOMETHING for him...a nice 3rd pick hopefully.

Campoli, if ANYONE would take him, trade him too.

Thats what I would do in my fantasy league anyway! lol

The bear HAS to stay in the lineup or we lose him to pouting.
    Weber is redundant because the team has Diaz and Campoli who are similar in size and style, not to mention the veterans Markov and Kaberle who pretty much bring the same attributes but do so at a higher level.

I'd actually like to see Campoli waived/demoted unless Diaz's play drops in the coming weeks. They already lost Woywitka who would have been a nice vet presence to call up and I'd like to see Campoli take on that role if possible. He is redundant on this team too but if injuries strike then he could be useful.

Emelin should stay in the lineup because he deserves to be there.

Administrator

Another weekly report of Habs' futures:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-future-16

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Another weekly report of Habs' futures:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-future-16
    That's a great read! thanks.

I'm excited about Gallagher, I remember being impressed with him this preseason. Isn't he leading the WHL in scoring. (I heard - no proof)
    Wouldn't that be something if he turned into....wait for it, wait for it....a STAR in montreal?
    Hope the 3 habs boys make the junior team!

Also really excited about Tinordi...kid likes to fight it seems. His father was tough as nails. He's huge! Beaulieu looked incredible this preseason too...skates like the wind.

I'm all for trading Leblanc...not a believer for some reason. Perhaps its because I'm so used to habs prospects busting. Trade him with something to calgary for iggy would be a nice pipe dream!

Administrator

That's a great read! thanks.

I'm excited about Gallagher, I remember being impressed with him this preseason. Isn't he leading the WHL in scoring. (I heard - no proof)
    Wouldn't that be something if he turned into....wait for it, wait for it....a STAR in montreal?
    Hope the 3 habs boys make the junior team!

Also really excited about Tinordi...kid likes to fight it seems. His father was tough as nails. He's huge! Beaulieu looked incredible this preseason too...skates like the wind.

I'm all for trading Leblanc...not a believer for some reason. Perhaps its because I'm so used to habs prospects busting. Trade him with something to calgary for iggy would be a nice pipe dream!
    WHL scoring leaders: http://www.whl.ca/stats/show (Gallagher #8)

As for the rest I actually really like the core. It resembles the core of young guys coming up before the 100th season before coaching/management ruined everyone. This time I am more optimistic given what the coaching has been able to do with Desharnais and Pacioretty, among others.

The best part is that by the time the bad contracts expire (three more seasons including this one) most of them will be ready to shine.

Administrator

From TSN Ice Chips:

Monday's Practice Lines

Forwards:
    Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
    Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
    Darche - Eller - Leblanc
    Gomez - Nokelainen - Weber

Defence:
    Gorges - Subban
    Gill - Diaz
    Kaberle - Emelin

Goaltenders:
    Price - starting
    Budaj
    I'll try to find any info regarding a practice today. Most curious to be is the status of Chris Campoli.

Dobber Sports Icon

Do you seriously think that Gauthier would trade the only potential star from Montreal in the system, a fully bilingual cerebral kid who looks like he might be a great marketing guy akin to what Damphousse brought? I highly doubt it. The French media would harass the Habs brass for the next 10 years, and Geoff Molson would never take a chance like that given the obvious risk. Harkens back to the Grundman drafting of Wickenheiser over Savard to give you an idea of the maelstrom that would ensue.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Padawan

Do you seriously think that Gauthier would trade the only potential star from Montreal in the system, a fully bilingual cerebral kid who looks like he might be a great marketing guy akin to what Damphousse brought? I highly doubt it. The French media would harass the Habs brass for the next 10 years, and Geoff Molson would never take a chance like that given the obvious risk. Harkens back to the Grundman drafting of Wickenheiser over Savard to give you an idea of the maelstrom that would ensue.
    I agree that it would be a marketing disaster, but given the lack of prospects at all three forwards position, I think that it could be wise to wait a little bit before sacrificing more future fir immediate help. I don't think that Leblanc will ever be a star, let alone a first liner, but I could see him on a dynamic duo with Eller in a couple of years. Both are smart, fast and hard on the puck.

Regarding Campoli, he is on the ice this morning, seems ready. No confirmation for tonight but given the comments Martin made yesterday I would guess he will sit this one.