Page 387 of 607 FirstFirst ... 287 337 377 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 397 437 487 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,805 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Default Re: Montreal Canadiens

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    Eric, how down are you on your team? This didn't ring well to me. I think overall skill may be less but I think Webber and shaw really help galleger(sp) to get everyone fired up as a team.
    In Price's last full year he was the league MVP. Of course he makes everything look better!

I'm not sure about the other moves. It's one thing to have leaders but it's still up to individuals to raise their own level of play. Many of those same players are still there today.

Either way MB's job is on the line so it'll be an eventful year one way or the other.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    In Price's last full year he was the league MVP. Of course he makes everything look better!

I'm not sure about the other moves. It's one thing to have leaders but it's still up to individuals to raise their own level of play. Many of those same players are still there today.

Either way MB's job is on the line so it'll be an eventful year one way or the other.
    That makes total sense. I watch 2 or 3 games every night since I got center ice. This is the first year I want to watch the Habs. So in the past 5 years I've literally not watched them, but with these moves I do now. It's probably got to do a lot with wondering about Radulov. I think you might be surprised when you have more heart guys.

Dobber Sports Master

I agree with you eric. I think we downgraded at the back and while Radulov is a definite upgrade up front, I am not convinced it will go very well with him. Claims of maturity etc.. I'll believe it when I see it, since to this point I have seen nothing to change my mind on him... Shaw, well... a younger Dale Wiese/Brandon Prust?.. I don't know if I can buy the stuff about him bringing character... wasn't he suspended for a homophobic slur? Doesn't sound like a locker-room leader to me... I know I wouldn't follow a guy like that but hey, I'm not a pro hockey player either..

I don't think I can get behind the Habs after this offseason. Seems like a desperate one so far. The moves smell of it..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Interesting...
    Hope the Leafs scoop him up.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/105...p-subban-trade
    The problem with the stat guy is that he didn't have the Chicago Blackhawks culture. You know, years of losing to get top three picks and then building around those high picks for Stanley Cup victories.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    The problem with the stat guy is that he didn't have the Chicago Blackhawks culture. You know, years of losing to get top three picks and then building around those high picks for Stanley Cup victories.
    You mean, this culture?.....

1997-98 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 30 39 13 0 0 73 0.445 192 199 1546 18350 Craig Hartsburg Out of Playoffs
    1998-99 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 29 41 12 0 0 70 0.427 202 248 1807 17329 Graham, Molleken Out of Playoffs
    1999-00 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 33 37 10 2 0 78 0.476 242 245 1444 16274 Molleken, Pulford Out of Playoffs
    2000-01 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 29 40 8 5 0 71 0.433 210 246 1001 14996 Alpo Suhonen Out of Playoffs
    2001-02 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 41 27 13 1 0 96 0.585 216 207 1234 15568 Brian Sutter Lost in round 1
    2002-03 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 30 33 13 6 0 79 0.482 207 226 1189 14794 Brian Sutter Out of Playoffs
    2003-04 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 20 43 11 8 0 59 0.360 188 259 1318 13253 Brian Sutter Out of Playoffs
    2005-06 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 26 43 0 7 6 65 0.396 211 285 1544 13318 Trent Yawney Out of Playoffs
    2006-07 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 31 42 0 2 7 71 0.433 201 258 1332 12727 Yawney, Savard Out of Playoffs
    2007-08 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Central 82 40 34 0 4 4 88 0.537 239 235 1383 16814 Denis Savard Out of Playoffs
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

You evil monsters....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...-subban-trade/

A genuine superstar who WANTS to be here and apparently that's not good enough. You think Shea Weber wants to be here?....You think he wore Habs jerseys as a kid and dreamed of playing for the CH? You monsters.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    You evil monsters....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...-subban-trade/

A genuine superstar who WANTS to be here and apparently that's not good enough. You think Shea Weber wants to be here?....You think he wore Habs jerseys as a kid and dreamed of playing for the CH? You monsters.
    I like Weber quite a bit but I think the Habs are going to regret this one some day.. I'm sure Subban really doesn't care where he plays.. He is definitely going to be super motivated now.. PK is going to get a huge ovation in his first game back to Montréal next season!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

The Great One

I think they won't regret it for three/four years but right now it might be one of those trades where both team's actually win. (I know Canadiens fans will never agree to this).

Weber is a different cat to Subban but wasn't that leadership/making players accountable missing in the changing room last season? Can't say I was following them too closely but it felt like everyone (incl. management) were just waiting for Price to come back and by the time they realised he wasn't they were toast. Realistically Montreal and Nashville will both make the play offs next season so think it will take a few years to really evaluate this
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Apologies if the topic of Trevor Timmins has already come up* but I thought this was an interesting article: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nh...ateur-scouting

I've always been in the camp of seeing him as an average scout, but these numbers are impressive. I'm sure there's a contrarian out there to show me the other side of the coin though.

* For the record, I did use the search function and it told me that this thread had a mention of TT, but didn't specify which of the 387 pages.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Expert

I think just looking at GPs is woefully insufficient in terms of gauging his sucess as a scout. Majority of his picks in round 2 or later are players who are #5-7 dmen or bottom 6 forwards. Even the Pts argument is skewed and the article does a great job of twisting tales. Sure you can pull out Crosby and Malkin and Bergeon from those teams to bump the Habs up, but drop out Patches and Subban and see how well Pts/pick argument still stacks up.

Administrator

I think they've done well overall with their drafting. Three stars (Subban, Pac, Price) in recent memory plus a bunch of depth and another potential star in Galchenyuk. The team seems to drop off in draft quality when the GM gets in the way. For example at one point Gainey was avoiding QMJHL guys because of Latendresse (drafted Fischer over Giroux) and later Bergevin wanted more grit after getting bounced from the 1st round vs Sens in 2013. When they set aside biases they tend to do better even though historically most of their good picks have been on the smaller side.

Dobber Sports Master

I would say that they have done ok, but are not in the top half as far as performance goes. Sure, we are talking about predicting where teenagers are going to end up relative to what seems to be their potential, but every team's scouts is doing this... I agree about the GMs getting in the way too much (McDonagh!?) but overall since 2003, the Habs have only 1 superstar (Price), one "star" (Patches.. though is he really a star?) and one "maybe star in the making..." (Galchenyuk) and two of those picks were top 5. The rest of them are Chipchura (though pretty well everyone in the first round after Radulov was not a star... funny how things worked out now..), Fischer, McDonagh (Gainey..), Tanguay trade, Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen and now Sergachev... Sergachev by all accounts might turn into something but Chipchura, Fischer, Leblanc and Tinordi are pretty big misses... Scherbak over Goldobin doesn't look so hot right now and McCarron over Shea Theodore.. I dunno but at this point, Theo looks like the better option..

I think the real problem is player development. Montreal may have drafted well but for first round picks, if these players aren't reaching their potential, it rests on the development team. By what I remember from when the Habs traded McDonagh, I recall it being said that his development had taken a bad turn...

Timmins might have a could eye for the bird in the bush, but once it's in the hand it's another story. The only guy I recall taken by Timmins in a later round who was developed into a superstar was a certain guy they traded because he no longer fit the culture of the organization...
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think Pacioretty is a star!! Could you imagine the damage he would do with a #1 centerman??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Could you imagine the damage he would do with a #1 centerman??
    In the media's eyes any tall and heavy guy can be called a #1C in Montreal. Promote McCarron now!!!

Dobber Sports Guru

In the media's eyes any tall and heavy guy can be called a #1C in Montreal.
    Imagine if that tall and heavy guy spoke French!

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid