Page 27 of 607 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 77 127 527 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Sorry for the lack of replies. Montreal is such an amazing city!!!

Now on to the news of the day: Alexei Yemelin. Here's a quote from another thread which I replied:

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The thing to look out for is I don't know if he'll be willing to spend time in the AHL if he does not make it out of camp. In the past he's been stubborn about coming over and I would not rule out him bolting if he doesn't get his way.

Here is their depth chart currently:

Wisniewski/Markov (one should re-sign)
    Subban
    Gill
    Gorges
    Weber
    Spacek

Plus Hamrlik is on record saying he will take a discount to stay on the team. So unless he beats out Weber I don't see him making any kind of immediate impact.

My question is this: Is he good defensively or is he an adventurer that just looks for big hits?

Edit: I'm debating acquiring him for Francois Bouchard in the sim league defined in my sig. Any thoughts?
    I'd like to hear some thoughts on Yemelin in general and the questions I specifically asked.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey Eric, further to the Jagr posts, I caught the end of an interview where he's toying with the idea of coming back and Montreal is one of the few he'll consider, in particular because of his chemistry with Pleks. Just talk at this point of course, but a fan can dream. Not that I think Jaromir would be a long term solution, but he could sure fill a large hole in the offense while we wait for Eller & Patches to continue their development.
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,
    Voracek,Hemsky,Burrows,C.Giroux,Backlund,Filatov,
    Couture,Paajarvi,Grabner,Connolly

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Hey Eric, further to the Jagr posts, I caught the end of an interview where he's toying with the idea of coming back and Montreal is one of the few he'll consider, in particular because of his chemistry with Pleks. Just talk at this point of course, but a fan can dream. Not that I think Jaromir would be a long term solution, but he could sure fill a large hole in the offense while we wait for Eller & Patches to continue their development.

There is no way Jagr's coming to Montreal. As reported by Tony Marinaro on Team 990 today, the possibility of Jagr signing with Montreal came up a few weeks ago and the team looked into it, and in the end they told Jagr they were not interested. Apparently he was seeking 1 year at around $3 million.

Good news in my mind, any positive impact he would have had on the ice would be offset by a whole slew of other risks (e.g., locker room unity; development of younger players). $3 million can be much better used towards signiig a solid young top 6 guy (e.g., a Brooks Laich) or I'd rather give it to AK46 for another year see if he can finally fulfill his potential in bleu/blanc/rouge.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    There is no way Jagr's coming to Montreal. As reported by Tony Marinaro on Team 990 today, the possibility of Jagr signing with Montreal came up a few weeks ago and the team looked into it, and in the end they told Jagr they were not interested. Apparently he was seeking 1 year at around $3 million.

Good news in my mind, any positive impact he would have had on the ice would be offset by a whole slew of other risks (e.g., locker room unity; development of younger players). $3 million can be much better used towards signiig a solid young top 6 guy (e.g., a Brooks Laich) or I'd rather give it to AK46 for another year see if he can finally fulfill his potential in bleu/blanc/rouge.

Fair points Ross, I'm probably being slightly blinded by the big shiny object. That kind of money would be better served on a proven up and comer.

35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    5 changes/month

Administrator

Hey gents,

Regarding Jagr, he is a great player. But he has a certain trait that is already too common among the Canadiens, and that is his tendency to take nights off. To me his production at this age on the Canadiens might resemble what Alex Kovalev was producing, along with the same baggage. Some weeks he looks like he's 25, and other weeks he looks like a tool.

I think he could be a big help to the team, but adding him does nothing to guarantee a postseason appearance next season. Major risk/reward there.

Banned

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...medium=twitter

omg the NHL just really sucks sometimes, get over yourself NHL, the Habs predate you for crissakes, let the fans show their pride

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...medium=twitter

omg the NHL just really sucks sometimes, get over yourself NHL, the Habs predate you for crissakes, let the fans show their pride
    Kinda weird that a single restaurant is targeted when there are such infringements in all NHL cities.

Banned

I get that they want to protect their 'brand' but a simple cease and resist letter would have done the trick. You gotta let the fans support their team, why do theyhave to take everything so far and get litigious?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I get that they want to protect their 'brand' but a simple cease and resist letter would have done the trick. You gotta let the fans support their team, why do theyhave to take everything so far and get litigious?
    Totally agree, subtlety goes a long way to showing & earning respect.

Hope the NHL doesn't have representatives in my town, there's signage on several stores and a few cars painted up in blue & green with a big fat orca on the hood. Not that they could sue those guys anyway, I don't think the NHL wants to take on any more debt

Administrator

Yeah a simple letter would have been fine. Asking for 89k could force that business to shut down which is just wrong. After all, that business is trying to support the Canadiens and indirectly the NHL. Why take a dump on your own fans?

Dobber Sports Pro

Oooo the dull days of summer...ooo how I hate Vancouver, Dany Heatley and Boston. Boredom....but not all bad, found this awesome PK Subban highlight vid, very well done. I encourage you all to take 4 mins and enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5ekG-3_fcs
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Oooo the dull days of summer...ooo how I hate Vancouver,
    Says the guy with 3 orcas in his sig

Nice video

35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    5 changes/month

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Says the guy with 3 orcas in his sig

Nice video
    Hahaha I know it sucks, but they won me a championship and half my pools Nuck fans. It drives them crazy.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Administrator

Back to the Emelin front...

Quote Originally Posted by Diffusion View Post
    http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...under-contract

MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the signing of defenseman Alexsey Emelin to a one-year, two-way contract (2011-12). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“We are very pleased to have reached an agreement with Alexsey Emelin. Alexsey is a steady, physical defenseman with strong skating ability. The experience he has acquired in the KHL over the past few years will make for a smooth transition to the NHL,” said Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier.

Emelin registered 27 points (11 goals, 16 assists), leading his team defensemen in goals, playing 52 games with the Kazan Ak Bars of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) in 2010-11. Seven of his goals were scored on the powerplay. Emelin, 25, recorded 110 shots on goal, while averaging 21:18 seconds of ice time per game. He displayed a +17 plus/minus differential and served 92 penalty minutes.

In three complete seasons with the Kazan Ak Bars, the 6’2’’, 223 lbs defenseman totaled 37 points (12 goals, 25 assists) with 200 penalty minutes in 149 games, while maintaining a +22 plus/minus differential. Emelin totalled 14 points (6 goals, 8 assists) in 38 career KHL playoff contests.

Emelin, who was part of the Russian team at the 2011 World Championship in Slovakia, was a member of the Russian team that captured silver at the 2010 World Championship in Cologne, Germany and participated in the 2007 World Championship in Moscow. He was on the Russian team that won the silver medal at the 2006 World Junior Championship in Vancouver.

A native of Togliatti, Russia, Emelin was the Canadiens’ second pick (third round, 84th overall) at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
    I don't know how all the dominoes will fall here but the thought of the entry level deal being only one year is a bit scary to me as there is no long-term commitment by either party. I know that by rules this is the set structure for the deal based on his age but he's been a question mark for so long that seeing this does nothing to sell me on him being a sure thing.

Dobber Sports Icon

Posted this in a separate thread:

Marinaro had Pierre McGuire on TEam 990 today and asked about Yemelin.

Pierre's take is that he's not terribly huge but he's definitely NHL-ready and can be a useful player even this year. He thinks alot depends on how the first 25 or so games go, with him getting used to the smaller ice surface.

One thing's for sure, this almost certainly means Markov will be signed, he'll be a huge mentor for Yemelin.

Habs blueline looks interesting for next year.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper