Page 25 of 606 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 75 125 525 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Chara is broken down at this point and it's not just his illness. The Habs have been laying hits on him all series and it's taking a toll. I don't think Chara has the durability to play top minutes all season and then bring it in the playoffs. There are a lot of miles on those legs.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

A few things that struck me about that game:

- Gomez. I have been patient with him all year long, mainly because last year he also had a relatively mediocre regular season but then in the playoffs he really brought it, so I was hoping for the same thing this year. No such luck. What a major liability this guy has been, taking away ice time from some guys like...

- Desharnais. What a revelation! Smart, heads-up skater and very very strong on the puck for a little guy, outmuscled bigger B's a few times to generate scoring chances. Love this kid.

- Eller. Huge play on that Halpern goal to tie up the puck and eventually cause the turnover that led to his pass to Halpern to tie it. And on a rush shortly thereafter, brought the puck in and snapped a nice little wrister that Timmy barely blockered aside, very close to a goal to take the lead. Once this guy gets some confidence, he'll be a force offensively, given his size and skill. And as the Versus guys were mentioning, getting beat regularly by Bergeron in the faceoff circle could end up being great for him in the long run, great training for a few years down the line when he's clearly the no 2 centerman taking big faceoffs from time to time.

- Subban being goaded into fighting by Seidenberg. All the Subban haters on here, do you really think that Subban wants to spend 5 minutes in the bin during a key playoff game during which he ultimately played 40 minutes? I look at it this way, if Markov were playing and Seidenberg challenged him to a fight, would anyone consider Markov a wuss because he told him to go fly a kite? People will say the difference is that Subban chirps, big freakin deal, he's an A-1 Dman and should restrict his fighting to once in a while in the regular season when it makes sense.

- Price, man did he look good, nice bounce back game.

- Thomas, played great, but man was he lucky. That blind skate save by Chara off Cammalleri in OT? Ridiculous bad luck for the Habs and might spell the difference in the series.

The joint's going to be rocking on Tuesday night, let's hope the Habs get pumped up and come out like gangbusters. Either way though, no matter how this series goes, there is clearly a reason to be optimistic for the future with a very young core of Price, Subban, Plekanec, Cammy, Eller, Pacioretty, Desharnais going forward with vets like Gionta to provide stability and leadership/mentorship. The key question is how to get rid of Gomez? After this year's performance, I think the Habs are within their rights to "Redden" him, and like Redden, I don't think the hit (i.e., the negative repercussions of burying a player in the minors, among UFAs) will be all that bad.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    A few things that struck me about that game:

- Gomez. I have been patient with him all year long, mainly because last year he also had a relatively mediocre regular season but then in the playoffs he really brought it, so I was hoping for the same thing this year. No such luck. What a major liability this guy has been, taking away ice time from some guys like...

- Desharnais. What a revelation! Smart, heads-up skater and very very strong on the puck for a little guy, outmuscled bigger B's a few times to generate scoring chances. Love this kid.

- Eller. Huge play on that Halpern goal to tie up the puck and eventually cause the turnover that led to his pass to Halpern to tie it. And on a rush shortly thereafter, brought the puck in and snapped a nice little wrister that Timmy barely blockered aside, very close to a goal to take the lead. Once this guy gets some confidence, he'll be a force offensively, given his size and skill. And as the Versus guys were mentioning, getting beat regularly by Bergeron in the faceoff circle could end up being great for him in the long run, great training for a few years down the line when he's clearly the no 2 centerman taking big faceoffs from time to time.

- Subban being goaded into fighting by Seidenberg. All the Subban haters on here, do you really think that Subban wants to spend 5 minutes in the bin during a key playoff game during which he ultimately played 40 minutes? I look at it this way, if Markov were playing and Seidenberg challenged him to a fight, would anyone consider Markov a wuss because he told him to go fly a kite? People will say the difference is that Subban chirps, big freakin deal, he's an A-1 Dman and should restrict his fighting to once in a while in the regular season when it makes sense.

- Price, man did he look good, nice bounce back game.

- Thomas, played great, but man was he lucky. That blind skate save by Chara off Cammalleri in OT? Ridiculous bad luck for the Habs and might spell the difference in the series.

The joint's going to be rocking on Tuesday night, let's hope the Habs get pumped up and come out like gangbusters. Either way though, no matter how this series goes, there is clearly a reason to be optimistic for the future with a very young core of Price, Subban, Plekanec, Cammy, Eller, Pacioretty, Desharnais going forward with vets like Gionta to provide stability and leadership/mentorship. The key question is how to get rid of Gomez? After this year's performance, I think the Habs are within their rights to "Redden" him, and like Redden, I don't think the hit (i.e., the negative repercussions of burying a player in the minors, among UFAs) will be all that bad.
    Thanks for your assessment. Very honest and well said.

Regarding Gomez, I think his situation helps the league-wide perception of Montreal in a way because he has been given more than a fair chance to shake out of his funk. It's been going on for two years and he never dropped down the depth chart. Ridding his cap hit would do wonders in terms of helping this team fix some depth issues.

The best attribute brought by Desharnais is the fearless forechecking. He goes after everyone. When he goes after big players (Chara, McQuaid, Boychuk) he just stays low and gets under them which gives him the advantage. Most of the time he comes out with the puck. He and Eller need more ice time. Let the slackers ride the pine. Game 6 is about heart and desperation.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As I posted in the Canucks thread earlier, these were 2 heartbreaking losses. I love the work ethic of most of the guys and find this team one of the more exciting "system" teams in the league. I'll go back to a point Eric made back in the regular season, there are too many critical players who take games off.

I'm hoping there's still some magic left and the Habs can push to game #7. The point Ross made is a good one, the Bruins got 2 lucky bounces last game and that could be the difference. Here's to seeing some of that good luck come the Habs way in game #6.

Go Habs Go!

Administrator

According to habsinsideout Desharnais has a knee injury. It happened when he took a sort-of suicide pass up the middle and was sandwiched between two defenders.

Also, the Habs were fined 10k for not making players available to the media last Tuesday. They could have saved several thousand by giving the media the middle finger instead.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    According to habsinsideout Desharnais has a knee injury. It happened when he took a sort-of suicide pass up the middle and was sandwiched between two defenders.

Also, the Habs were fined 10k for not making players available to the media last Tuesday. They could have saved several thousand by giving the media the middle finger instead.
    Hahahaha. That's a great one Eric, I'm stealing it to use myself. Rep coming after I spread it around a bit more.

Administrator

I'm sure many of you have seen the Mike Richards hit on Tim Connolly. I was able to get a dig on an extra part of the story. After the game Richards sent a text message to PK Subban saying "Hey kid, you see that? That's how you earn RESPECT around here!".

I just like holding people accountable to their own statements.

Dobber Sports Pro

Hahaha hey Richards isnt a rookie, hes allowed to try to injure people.

Speaking of P.K, I keep thinkin back to all the flak he took this year, mostly because he liked to talk a lot on the ice and he's a bit of a sh*t disturber, which is fine of course except he's a rookie so the "respect" bs kept coming up. How has Brad Marchand escaped all criticism, that guy is quickly becoming the new Alex Burrows, always beaking and starting scuffles after whistles, taunting Price, playing chippy all around. All of those things are fine in my books and I'm a fan of Marchand, but he has somehow escaped all the criticism P.K received, despite being the "cocky rookie".
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Hahaha hey Richards isnt a rookie, hes allowed to try to injure people.

Speaking of P.K, I keep thinkin back to all the flak he took this year, mostly because he liked to talk a lot on the ice and he's a bit of a sh*t disturber, which is fine of course except he's a rookie so the "respect" bs kept coming up. How has Brad Marchand escaped all criticism, that guy is quickly becoming the new Alex Burrows, always beaking and starting scuffles after whistles, taunting Price, playing chippy all around. All of those things are fine in my books and I'm a fan of Marchand, but he has somehow escaped all the criticism P.K received, despite being the "cocky rookie".
    One particular reason I won't get into for obvious reasons but I'll let you read between the lines...

Also, Subban is in a market where a low-level star gets national attention because it's Montreal. Sort of the same thing that happened with Crosby, he gets a lot of hype and some resent that, especially NHL "vets".

Marchand is more of a depth player in a smaller hockey market so a lot of what he does stays within the Boston city limits.

Case in point: Marchand called all the Habs players divers and cheapshot artists yet nobody called him out for being a hypocrite.

Administrator

Desharnais will miss game 6 while Wisniewski is doubtful. This really hurts because these two represented a lot of the heart and guts that could have carried the team forward.

Administrator

Default Bruins 1, Canadiens 2

Game Notes:

-Habs tied the series 3-3.

-Game 7 is tomorrow night in Boston.

-This was a goaltending duel reminiscent of game 5 but the Habs came out on top because of superior discipline and a power play that clicked.

-David Desharnais and James Wisniewski missed the game. Paul Mara and Yannick Weber were in the lineup. Mara in particular was solid with some nasty play in his own end. Very nice job playing with an edge without going over the edge.

-Jaroslav Spacek was injured on a nasty hit from behind by Milan Lucic. This is the kind of thing that hurts Lucic's effectiveness as he really put his team in a hole. Spacek was cut on the head but would later return.

-The snipers got the job done tonight as Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta scored the goals for the Canadiens. Both were with the man advantage. It's nice seeing them make the opposition pay for their mistakes.

-Carey Price had some very awkward moments but ultimately kept the pucks out of the net. He was very sharp late in the game when the Habs were protecting the lead. He needs to be equally good in order to pull out game 7.

-I have to give props again to PK Subban. He played 27:08 and really controlled the game. He is getting it done at both ends.

-Roman Hamrlik blocked eight shots.

-Brent Sopel is struggling. He is very slow and lately is turning the puck over a lot. He may be hurt but he is not living up to the praise coming out of Chicago after their cup run last season.

-Lars Eller popped out his shoulder receiving a hit early in the game but returned and performed well. He is really establishing himself as an effective player. Just don't overrate him in pools because most of his contributions are not statistical.

-The guys that I called out last game (Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez and Plekanec) combined for 20 shots and five points.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Here's hoping Wiz can go so we can get Sopel out of there. I actually like Mara much better in that spot.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree with your assesment of Eller eric. I also felt that Kostytsin played with an intensity for kot of the night that he usually reserves for...(drawing a blank).

Dobber Sports Icon

Eric, how can you post the game notes and not mention the horrible officiating? I'm talking some of the worst I have ever seen. They made weak calls against both teams, blew the play dead early multiple times and missed countless actual penalties.

It definitely influenced the outcome of the game. I am by no means saying the Bruins should have won, they were outplayed (again). I'm just saying that it would have been a much more enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

*EDIT* Sorry, thought I was in the series thread, not your Habs thread.
    Last edited by 4T2; April 27, 2011 at 7:11 AM.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Eric, how can you post the game notes and not mention the horrible officiating? I'm talking some of the worst I have ever seen. They made weak calls against both teams, blew the play dead early multiple times and missed countless actual penalties.

It definitely influenced the outcome of the game. I am by no means saying the Bruins should have won, they were outplayed (again). I'm just saying that it would have been a much more enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

*EDIT* Sorry, thought I was in the series thread, not your Habs thread.
    The NHL does this by design, so I tend to avoid it unless something very specific jumped out at me. I didn't even mention the non-goal by Gionta, which goes to show how much one can forget in the moment after a rollercoaster game.