Page 223 of 606 FirstFirst ... 123 173 213 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 233 273 323 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Default Re: Montreal Canadiens

One thing that I will add is that in '93 the favorites all lost before facing the Habs. Both the Bruins and Penguins were upset leading to dates with Buffalo and New York Islanders. The Isles have been irrelevant since that upset.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah that schedule on the RDS link is exactly what I saw earlier. It looks like game 2 sat is a 12:30pm start with the possibility of game 5 the following sat being yet another afternoon game. F*** NBC!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    One thing that I will add is that in '93 the favorites all lost before facing the Habs. Both the Bruins and Penguins were upset leading to dates with Buffalo and New York Islanders. The Isles have been irrelevant since that upset.
    Very true.. but then the Habs played the very relevant Gretzky led Kings and wiped them...

For the Isles, that is a long time to be irrelevant.....
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Very true.. but then the Habs played the very relevant Gretzky led Kings and wiped them...

For the Isles, that is a long time to be irrelevant.....
    Leaf fans disagree...

Dobber Sports Genius

Buffalo smoking Boston in that Adams div. 1st round match up was almost as sweet as seeing the Habs actually win the cup (not really). The famous "mayday" overtime winner from Brad May was a highlight as at the time of that goal, the Habs/Nords series was still highly in doubt.

Administrator

Also of very important note about 1993: that was my first year as a hockey follower (I was 7) and hockey history would be changed forever as a result.

Dobber Sports Genius

Also of very important note about 1993: that was my first year as a hockey follower (I was 7) and hockey history would be changed forever as a result.
    Are you taking responsibility for the absolute longest championship drought in Habs history?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Are you taking responsibility for the absolute longest championship drought in Habs history?
    Never thought of it that way. Really starting to doubt myself over here...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The 1993 playoffs still feel like a nightmare to me. I was born and raised in Quebec City. My dad (a Habs fan) was letting me stay up late when the Nordiques were playing the Habs during the playoffs. I still remember quite well the goals of Stastny and Hunter in the 80s that have led to the elimination of the Habs. After enduring a long rebuild, I was so pumped in 1993 when the Nordiques took a 2 game lead against the Habs. The rest is just a nightmare and an uncontrollable hatred of Patrick Roy.

It took me about 5 years after the Nordiques left to start cheering for the Habs. But anytime someone at work refers to the 1993 playoffs (my friends and family know better), it brings back the hate and only a good drink can cure that. So I might not follow this thread until the series starts on Thursday or I'll end up drunk before everyone else is.

Dobber Sports Master

Never thought of it that way. Really starting to doubt myself over here...
    lol.

It was the same for me. Started watching hockey around then and really followed closely starting that year. I was ten and I'll never forget it. I've been waiting for a return and since then predicted the Habs would win at least one cup per decade, as they had in the past. Well the 2000s were the tail end of the Habs sucking and a mixed bag of bad drafting and poor personnel decisions, but gutsy performances and rather good coaching.. The 2010s have been better to some degree but with the talent in the group and the management now in charge (big fan of Bergevin and his philosophy/staff), I think we're looking at a contender in the making. This team will be for real and in my mind is already. We're heading to something good and I'm excited. Go HABS GO!!!!!!!!!
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Guru

I was never so cocky as a hockey fan as I was in 93. Every prediction I had that year was spot on. Before the playoffs, I called Habs-Kings final and Penguins getting upset and not making it out of their division. I remember only having two playoff series wrong that entire season.

I was in Grade 10. A girl in one of my classes, Dana, was a huge Nordiques fan. After the Nordiques went up 2-0, she yelled out from across the room, "Hey Tom, what do you think of the series now?" I yelled back "I guess we're going to game 6." And sure enough it did.

I did the same thing in the final. After the Habs lost Game 1, I told people they just wanted to win the Cup on home ice in Game 5. Sure enough, it happened.

I really wish I was in a bunch of playoff pools that year. Would have made a ton of money.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I really wish I was in a bunch of playoff pools that year. Would have made a ton of money.
    You would have lost it all in subsequent pools betting on the Habs...

Dobber Sports Genius

Here's an awesome little clip of Lucic preparing for game 1

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/fan_shot_ima...sfgvww_jpg.gif

If anyone knows how to imbed gifs, please do (and then teach me how)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Here's an awesome little clip of Lucic preparing for game 1

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/fan_shot_ima...sfgvww_jpg.gif

If anyone knows how to imbed gifs, please do (and then teach me how)

Code:
    [img](Put image URL here)[/img]

Dobber Sports Veteran

Woowee. Can't wait for puck drop.

By the way, bodog.eu odds for montreal are currently 3:1. Pretty good if you want to put money down. I'm taking habs in 7, so I put my money where my mouth is!

#pleasedontletmedown