Page 213 of 606 FirstFirst ... 113 163 203 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 223 263 313 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,195 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Montreal Canadiens

What happened to Dubnyk? Is he getting any playing time in the minors?
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    What happened to Dubnyk? Is he getting any playing time in the minors?
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62478

Two games so far... probably the go-to guy while Tokarski is up.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62478

Two games so far... probably the go-to guy while Tokarski is up.
    Thanks man.

Not sure how a guy goes from 3 solid years on a crappy team to falling off a cliff the way he did this year. I thought he'd be the one warming the bench while Price is injured, not Tokarski.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

Tokarski was more than decent in ANH. I'd have been tempted to ride that a bit while Budaj irons some stuff out..

I would have liked to see Vanek with Desharnais and Galchenyuk back with Gallagher and Eller... Eller needs a spark and Vanek has zilch chemistry with Plucky so far..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

There isn't much gap between low-end starter and the minors. Dubnyk isn't an established backup like Budaj and Ellis types and nobody wants him as their starter so that leaves very few spots for him. Tokarski might suffer from the same thing when it's all said and done.

Dobber Sports Master

There isn't much gap between low-end starter and the minors. Dubnyk isn't an established backup like Budaj and Ellis types and nobody wants him as their starter so that leaves very few spots for him.
    This makes a lot of sense. Transitioning to successful backup after an attempt at being a starter, when the consistency in the game just isn't there, is actually kinda hard, it seems.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    This makes a lot of sense. Transitioning to successful backup after an attempt at being a starter, when the consistency in the game just isn't there, is actually kinda hard, it seems.
    This, and also the way teams portray players and pencil them into roles (IMO it's a common flaw among GMs). Dubnyk's role isn't definied so he'll have to wait till the offseason when some of the older backups are let go.

Dobber Sports Master

This, and also the way teams portray players and pencil them into roles (IMO it's a common flaw among GMs). Dubnyk's role isn't definied so he'll have to wait till the offseason when some of the older backups are let go.
    I can see that happening.. He's got the size and obviously some talent.. but he needs a lot of coaching and a lot of work. Habs have good staff so maybe it can happen..
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

Montreal looks awful tonight. Missing the net on shots like nobody's business...

The PP looks ridiculously bad. Get Vanek out there with Desharnais and Pacioretty already and park his ass in front of the net so he can bury rebounds like no tomorrow.

Horrible.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Guru

I think the Habs powerplay is something like 1-for-21 in their last five or six games.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I think the Habs powerplay is something like 1-for-21 in their last five or six games.
    Considering it's supposed to be one of their strengths.. tells you everything you need to know about how they're doing.. Yeesh.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Administrator

Bruins 4, Canadiens 1

Note: My attention was not 100% on the game as I was writing a Capped article. I did see enough to get a gist of what's going on though.

Overall thoughts

It was a better effort than last game. Still, the team has to do better converting chances into goals. Not enough desire to go just a bit farther to make it count. Bruins did a better job taking advantage of their opportunities.

Petr Budaj

He made some good saves but still allows one bad goal per game. This is what separates him from the guys able to carry their teams. It's nice having a backup that is good in his role but this team is not going anywhere without Price playing most nights.

Brian Gionta

Nice job by Benoit Brunet pointing out a lazy back-check from the captain on Bergeron's goal. He stopped skating at the blueline when he could have evened the numbers defensively. Had Subban done this he would be benched. Gionta is like the old Game Genie for Nintendo. Unlimited chances.

Tomas Vanek

Nice outing for him. The numbers have not been there yet (tonight was his first point) but he is shooting and getting chances. He also does good work around the net.

Lars Eller

Needs to stop taking dumb penalties. That is all.

Dobber Sports Expert

Lars Eller

Come on, the penality had absolutely no consequence. He also played one of his best game in several weeks.

I would help you with the recap.

Francis Bouillon who played his first game in over a month led both Bruins & Canadiens players in TOI.

FireTherrien.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Come on, the penality had absolutely no consequence. He also played one of his best game in several weeks.
    Inconsequential or not it's a pattern that keeps repeating. I will admit that he's not a deer in headlights anymore. Baby steps I suppose...

Dobber Sports Master

Bruins 4, Canadiens 1

Note: My attention was not 100% on the game as I was writing a Capped article. I did see enough to get a gist of what's going on though.

Overall thoughts

It was a better effort than last game. Still, the team has to do better converting chances into goals. Not enough desire to go just a bit farther to make it count. Bruins did a better job taking advantage of their opportunities.

Petr Budaj

He made some good saves but still allows one bad goal per game. This is what separates him from the guys able to carry their teams. It's nice having a backup that is good in his role but this team is not going anywhere without Price playing most nights.

Brian Gionta

Nice job by Benoit Brunet pointing out a lazy back-check from the captain on Bergeron's goal. He stopped skating at the blueline when he could have evened the numbers defensively. Had Subban done this he would be benched. Gionta is like the old Game Genie for Nintendo. Unlimited chances.

Tomas Vanek

Nice outing for him. The numbers have not been there yet (tonight was his first point) but he is shooting and getting chances. He also does good work around the net.

Lars Eller

I'd say that's a pretty good summary. I watched the game in detail, so if I may, I will add my observations.

Habs played a decent first period but have an incredible lack of finish, from Gionta and Plekanec, to Eller and company. Awful. Not sharp at all on the finishing in the slightest. The stats showed Rask was busy, but he wasn't troubled that much at all. He looked calm, cool and comfortable the whole game. He likely made most of those saves in his sleep and on the rushes where the Habs had their best chances, they actually missed the net outright. Gionta is a master at this. He is not a very good hockey player anymore and I think the Habs know this, but he's the captain so......

Second period and beyond was just terrible. The Habs were feisty at times (Gallagher, Subba, Emelin) but not enough. Moen, Prust, White or anyone not named Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty and sometimes Desharnais were just brutal. I'll get to Vanek in a second.

Budaj was what he was, a decent backup. The goals were not really his fault and were more of a result of the Habs playing like they were overmatched or didn't care. Lucic's goal is a 50/50 if you ask me. Some nights it goes in, others no. Budaj is not elite so I don't expect him to stop all of those. I don't know how you blame Budaj for letting in the 3 on 1 goal. Tinordi had a great view of it, instead of chasing back hard to take out his man. There was a lot of that.

Vanek. He is more skilled with the puck than anyone on this team by a mile, except maybe Subban, but he plays defence. I kept telling myself all game, if only the Habs had a forward as good or dangerous on offence as Subban is from defence. He has the team's best shot. Too bad he can't be a forward and has to pass to them instead. Vanek was usually in the right position, threw the puck to dangerous areas when he had it or made nifty plays to keep control of it when in trouble.

Problem is Vanek is not what the doctor ordered for this team. Yes, he is what they needed because they needed a skilled forward with size, but for all the goal scoring he used to do, he looks like he wants to be a pass-first player now, instead of a shooter. Since his move to long-island actually, which is no surprised he morphed to that playing with a shooting centre like Tavares. He was heading that way a bit in Buffalo lately as well.. He just doesn't look to have the drive to score goals as much (kinda like Ovechkin's hiatus for a while there..). He needs to shoot more, and a lot. The Habs need a Jarome Iginla circa 2002-03 to 2009. That's what they need. Vanek is not that. I understand those players don't grow on trees.. but still. It's what they need. About two of them, to push down guys on the depth chart and push guys like Moen out. He is terrible. Best days long behind him.

We need Gorges back.

I would trade Eller or really teach him how to be a defensive C. This is where his career will be. He is not a No.2 or a No.1. Not even close. He also has a weak shot for a guy his size.

Plucky is stuck playing defence, I don't blame the guy for this year. But he should convert a bit more and would be the first to admit that.

I would hang this loss on the total lack of effort from many of the Canadiens, but really, it looked more like a total lack of skill. Like when Nashville wins games, many times effort compensates for lack of skill (and also a lot like the Canadiens when they win..) and having an elite goalie helps teams like that (again, like Nashville and the Canadiens) but this team needs skill if they're gonna drop games the way they did last night. Vanek is a skilled addition, but I don't think his skills can mix with this group. At least with Kovalev, he shot the puck more and when he was "on" was physical and was a hound for it..

This team needs skill. Hard noses with skill. I think Galchenyuk can become that. Told myself last night it was too bad Bourque couldn't be/play like Gallagher, because then he'd be effective. But that's like asking someone to be someone else. Ain't gonna happen. You're stuck with what you're stuck with, until you build through the draft.

Good luck Bergevin and compagnie!
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin