Page 177 of 606 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 187 227 277 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Wouldn't have minded throwing that same deal Hal Gill's way.
    Murray is a better option at this point. He can kill penalties (averaged 2:48 a game last season, 35th out of all dmen in the league).

He'll average about two hits and two blocks a game (more hits than Gorges, about the same in blocks when comparing last season).

And he's not too slow that he'll take a lot of penalties (only 35 minutes last season, 15 of which were from fighting. So only 10 minors).

I loved Gill when he played for the Habs, but he doesn't hit as much. Gill is also slower and five years older.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Murray is definitely the better player, but assuming they signing was only to cover the D until Emelin comes back I'd rather have a character guy like Gill around to mentor Beaulieu and Tinordi.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Administrator

Murray has a good rep as a character guy as well.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

At Habs on the prize, where they rely a lot on advanced stats, they are not pleased with this signing.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...murray-signing

I think that Murray is going to be OK with the Habs, especially early in the season while Emelin is out. When Emelin comes back, Murray, Bouillon, Diaz and Drewiskie will battle for the bottom pairing. The injury bug will bite at some point, so having that much NHL-proven dmen is never a bad thing. Add to that that Tinordi and Bealuieu are not that far from the show, and there is a lot of depth at that position.

I would have like to see Tinordi have the first shot at replacing Emelin, but I'm not against the idea of him playing the full year in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Pro

http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    At Habs on the prize, where they rely a lot on advanced stats, they are not pleased with this signing.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...murray-signing
    The article loses its steam here: "I was going to use goal statistics here to add balance, but considering the goaltending Murray received last season, we know how that affects the numbers and I don't think it's necessary."

If you're going to cherry-pick stats that prove your point, then anyone can prove anything, especially with so many advanced stats in the NHL now.

His quality of linemates was among the lowest in the league (which means if you have bad linemates, you are more than likely going to be pinned in your zone more often than not) and he starts in the defensive zone quite a lot. Plus, he's not an offensive player at all. It all adds up to a guy who is going to be in his zone more often than not, no matter how good a guy is.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

I have no problem with the signing. It's a low-risk one year deal for a guy who can deliver devastating hits and is a beast on the PK. We needed to add a stay at home guy to solidify the blue line anyway so Murray should work out well.

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't have any problem with the Briere signing or this one, for a host of reasons, but the main one is that those deals will expire before our true window to contend for the Cup opens. We won't be there this year, and Murray's on a one year deal. Unlikely we'll have the firepower at both ends of the ice to do it in 2014/15, and Briere's gone after that, although if we are making a big run in that year I can see Bergevin start making "Shero" type deals that are playoff-geared. But until then, I think those guys will be great additions team-wise, good to help the young guys develop, and in any event Briere in particular still has lots of game especially on the PP and tons of playoff experience (and performs well in the playoffs). I would be much more critical about using cap space like this if Bergevin did it in 2015/16 and beyond.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I don't have any problem with the Briere signing or this one, for a host of reasons, but the main one is that those deals will expire before our true window to contend for the Cup opens. We won't be there this year, and Murray's on a one year deal. Unlikely we'll have the firepower at both ends of the ice to do it in 2014/15, and Briere's gone after that, although if we are making a big run in that year I can see Bergevin start making "Shero" type deals that are playoff-geared. But until then, I think those guys will be great additions team-wise, good to help the young guys develop, and in any event Briere in particular still has lots of game especially on the PP and tons of playoff experience (and performs well in the playoffs). I would be much more critical about using cap space like this if Bergevin did it in 2015/16 and beyond.
    I am of the belief that the window for contending is open as we speak. It might be open all the way but it's there. Montreal was 2nd in even strength goals/60 last year only to Chicago (the champs). If players like Gally, Gach, Eller, Subban, Price, Pacioretty continue thier development and improve only slightly, then we're looking at a very deep and talented line up. All that is needed is a slightly above average year from Price, a healthy Markov and we're gold.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Banned

I like how you quoted yourself but replied to someone else, that's a new one!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I like how you quoted yourself but replied to someone else, that's a new one!
    oops, I messed up, I intended to quote Rob Myatt!

Will delete my post and re-post for clarity.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    I am of the belief that the window for contending is open as we speak. It might be open all the way but it's there. Montreal was 2nd in even strength goals/60 last year only to Chicago (the champs). If players like Gally, Gach, Eller, Subban, Price, Pacioretty continue thier development and improve only slightly, then we're looking at a very deep and talented line up. All that is needed is a slightly above average year from Price, a healthy Markov and we're gold.
    It's true, and the key to all that is Price, if he reaches that next level he alone can take us on long playoff runs as soon as this year. But what you're describing does depend on variables (Markov's health in particular), whereas in 2-3 years it won't as much, when Galchenyuk is fully established as no 1 C and guys like Gallagher and Eller are that much closer to their prime, guys like Beaulieu and Tinordi are in their 2nd/3rd years, and, most importantly, Bergevin has had a few more years to really build the core and add those key trade deadline/free agent pieces (especially size), etc. At that point, I think a long playoff run will be more achievable and it won't depend largely (as it does now) on Price going above and beyond.

Administrator

About the Murray advanced stats breakdown... isn't this a bit overkill? He is a bottom-pair dman who is being paid 1.5 million. I think most people understand that the team didn't sign Bobby Orr. So some of his stats were lacking... there is a reason he was still unsigned in August.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    About the Murray advanced stats breakdown... isn't this a bit overkill? He is a bottom-pair dman who is being paid 1.5 million. I think most people understand that the team didn't sign Bobby Orr. So some of his stats were lacking... there is a reason he was still unsigned in August.
    100% agree. The entire habs on the prize site is heavily center around advanced stats... You can pretty much prove any point you want with the right advance stat. Not to say that thy are useless, but you have to use them cautiously.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    100% agree. The entire habs on the prize site is heavily center around advanced stats... You can pretty much prove any point you want with the right advance stat. Not to say that thy are useless, but you have to use them cautiously.
    I don't actually have a problem with the stats. In this case it just seems like they're proving something that is pretty obvious. Murray is flawed. We get that and so do the other GMs apparently since he was a free agent well into August and finally signed a contract for less than the league average.

It's like finding advanced stats to show that George Parros isn't good offensively or defensively.