Page 173 of 606 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 183 223 273 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I think there's more to this, given where the Habs go, most often Florida where you have so many Quebeckers/Habs fans during the winter. My feeling is there's some backroom dealing here where the Habs agree to this kind of travel schedule to boost attendance numbers for Florida and Tampa and they get some other perk in return. I could be totally wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the equation.

Either way it still sucks for Montreal-based Habs fans!
    I don't think there is any perk for the Habs. Having better Florida franchises helps everyone so they send Canadian teams there during the holidays. I'm fine with that because it makes business sense. My problem is having the trip last from Dec 19 to Jan 2. Pretty sure they can do their Florida business without having that long of a trip. At least they get Dec 22-27 off.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Can anyone shed some light on why the habs traded their 7th round pick this year to Florida for their 7th round pick in 2014? This may have been covered already. It seems like a pretty low impact transaction regardless, but I'm curious if there's a logical reason for either team to do this.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    Can anyone shed some light on why the habs traded their 7th round pick this year to Florida for their 7th round pick in 2014? This may have been covered already. It seems like a pretty low impact transaction regardless, but I'm curious if there's a logical reason for either team to do this.
    Maybe the Panthers had the player they took with that pick (Mackenzie Weegar) on their list, and wanted to take a flyer on him. If Timmins had no one on his short list at that point, he did not care. I remember that the Habs did the same thing a couple of years ago to select Petteri Simila... so they acquired the last pick of the draft to take him. They ended up releasing him, but they took a flyer, hoping that he would develop into something.

Weegar probably won't play a game in the NHL, but the Panthers will look like geniuses if he ends up being a regular in the NHL.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    I'm guessing it's just a case of not having anyone they were high on fall to their spot and the Panthers having good draft position most years. The 7th next year is going to be higher than the Habs' 25th pick of round 7.

In any event I believe the pick was traded back to Florida in the Parros deal.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I don't think there is any perk for the Habs. Having better Florida franchises helps everyone so they send Canadian teams there during the holidays. I'm fine with that because it makes business sense. My problem is having the trip last from Dec 19 to Jan 2. Pretty sure they can do their Florida business without having that long of a trip. At least they get Dec 22-27 off.
    I'm pretty sure in years past (before Florida), the Habs still took road trips at Christmas time. I seem to remember they use to always play the Flames on New Year's Eve at the beginning of the 90s. So they were always on west coast trips at that time.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'm pretty sure in years past (before Florida), the Habs still took road trips at Christmas time. I seem to remember they use to always play the Flames on New Year's Eve at the beginning of the 90s. So they were always on west coast trips at that time.
    If I recall the mandatory long road trip is another brilliant idea from Bob Gainey. Right up there with the Gomez trade...

Dobber Sports Icon

If I recall the mandatory long road trip is another brilliant idea from Bob Gainey. Right up there with the Gomez trade...

If, only if, if only, we still had McDonagh..........

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Guru

I hate Gainey the GM as much as the next guy, but I don't think he's to blame here.

In 1990, they were playing in Calgary on New Year's Eve as part of a west coast road trip. Same thing in 1991. And 1992. And 1993.

The only reason I remember those if because my brother is a huge Flames fan, and we would spend our New Year's Eve watching those games.

In 1995, they were in Tampa on Dec. 28. Same with 1996.

(Note: I looked these up on hockey-reference, but I stopped at this point.)

No idea if it ever stopped and re-started with the Gainey era. But it was around during most of the 90s at least.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Administrator

I hate Gainey the GM as much as the next guy, but I don't think he's to blame here.

In 1990, they were playing in Calgary on New Year's Eve as part of a west coast road trip. Same thing in 1991. And 1992. And 1993.

The only reason I remember those if because my brother is a huge Flames fan, and we would spend our New Year's Eve watching those games.

In 1995, they were in Tampa on Dec. 28. Same with 1996.

(Note: I looked these up on hockey-reference, but I stopped at this point.)

No idea if it ever stopped and re-started with the Gainey era. But it was around during most of the 90s at least.
    Was it a two-week trip as far away from home as possible that passed through the entire holiday season?

Dobber Sports Guru

Was it a two-week trip as far away from home as possible that passed through the entire holiday season?
    Close.

In 1998-99, they started on the road on Dec. 23, never played at home until Jan. 7. Same schedule in 1997-98.

In 1995-96, they were on the road on Dec. 20 and 22, then home for a game on the 23rd, and then on the road again until they played at home on Jan. 6. (There were a few seasons like this).

In 1993-94, they played on the road on Dec. 23 until a home game on Jan. 8.

In 1990-91, they were on the road on Dec. 23 until a home game on Jan. 5.

A lot of these roads trips, as I mentioned brought them out to Calgary and Edmonton, so it was a good ways away. And they have a seven-day break at Christmas this year. In the 1990s, they mostly played on Dec. 23 and Dec. 26, so they didn't get to be at home as much as they might have liked.

Administrator

And they have a seven-day break at Christmas this year. In the 1990s, they mostly played on Dec. 23 and Dec. 26, so they didn't get to be at home as much as they might have liked.
    Yeah this is what I like about this year. It's not just Dec 24-25 off. They get reasonable time. They get their ass kicked most years on this trip and I have no doubt that it is partially due to being anxious to (finally) go back home.

Banned

Video of Subban getting his name engraved in the Habs locker room for winning the Norris

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/vi...ns-locker-room

I had no idea the whole engraving process was so involved

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Video of Subban getting his name engraved in the Habs locker room for winning the Norris

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/vi...ns-locker-room

I had no idea the whole engraving process was so involved

I could be wrong, but I still think they should have signed him immediately to a longish term deal at upwards of $5M per. Now it's going to cost us $7M per when he's to be re-signed.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I still think they should have signed him immediately to a longish term deal at upwards of $5M per. Now it's going to cost us $7M per when he's to be re-signed.
    Hindsights 20/20. If had of fallen off last season Bergevin would have safe.
    If he maintains his form for the next 6-7 years, then $7M is easily worth it.

Norris = Best D, therefore I'm fine with him being paid the most.

However, I do agree with you. Locked up long term at $5m per would be great! I think most of seen his dominance coming.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Administrator

Subban had not shown enough to be worth $5 million per year. It would be a Myers-like reach for potential and could have been a trainwreck. What happened was a perfect storm scenario. Any GM is smart to bet on that not happening.