Page 170 of 606 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 180 220 270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I get all that. My only point is, if it doesn't work out it's still just a 2 year term. Might turn out to be not such a great move, but not what I'd consider a disaster. That is, unless it spells cap space trouble for 2014-15. Again, I don't follow this stuff close enough so that's why I was asking.
    The Habs will roughly have 25 millions (give or take, depending on how much the cap rises) to give new contracts to Eller and Subban, in addition to find a replacement to Markov, a couple of 4th liners, and a couple of Dmen, assuming Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready for a full time gig.

So no problem there...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    The Habs will roughly have 25 millions (give or take, depending on how much the cap rises) to give new contracts to Eller and Subban, in addition to find a replacement to Markov, a couple of 4th liners, and a couple of Dmen, assuming Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready for a full time gig.

So no problem there...
    In that case, I'll take a chance with the clutch playoff veteran who wants to come home and make good.

Unless someone tells me there was a better player out there willing to put his name on the dotted line, Briere looks like a better insurance than Moen and co. for whenever a spot inevitably needs to be filled on the top 6.

And when the top 6 is healthy and productive, ill take him on my third line and on the pp.

Dobber Sports Padawan

In that case, I'll take a chance with the clutch playoff veteran who wants to come home and make good.

Unless someone tells me there was a better player out there willing to put his name on the dotted line, Briere looks like a better insurance than Moen and co. for whenever a spot inevitably needs to be filled on the top 6.

And when the top 6 is healthy and productive, ill take him on my third line and on the pp.
    The top 9 (when healthy) currently looks like

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere

Prust proved that he can fill in if needed.

Administrator

Well it's kinda tough to know considering it's a done deal and that cap space is used up. That would be cap circumvention. Unless you're the Flyers, then it's just a 15 minute timeout.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

The top 9 (when healthy) currently looks like

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere

Prust proved that he can fill in if needed.

Briere will be a very good mentor for the young kids, I imagine that is a major reason why Bergevin signed him, especially since we're talking two years - he'll be gone by the time we're ready to make Cup runs.

However I cant' see a top 9 without Prust in it, he's a solid 3rd liner and one of the few muscle guys we have upfront.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Briere will be a very good mentor for the young kids, I imagine that is a major reason why Bergevin signed him, especially since we're talking two years - he'll be gone by the time we're ready to make Cup runs.

However I cant' see a top 9 without Prust in it, he's a solid 3rd liner and one of the few muscle guys we have upfront.
    Agreed. I don't get the hate, this is why a guy like Gary Roberts was dealt to Pittsburgh

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post

Well... in a 82 games season, the top 9 is almost never fully healthy. Especially with guys like Briere, Gionta and bourque, there will be of opportunity for Prust to slot on one of the first three lines, and he gives the option to Therrien to send a message to one of his forward by sending him to the 4th line or the pressbox.

He will probably be a good mentor for the kids. It's not like they re-hired gomez or something... I just thought that they were going to get bigger with their addition, or try to sign younger players. As time goes by, I feel a little better about this deal, but I don't think that the Habs are better than last year right now. But as you said, they are not ready to make a serious run at the Cup, so...

Administrator

Now that Briere is on the team I cheer for him to succeed and make the team better!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    now that briere is on the team i cheer for him to succeed and make the team better!
    da-nny, da-nny, da-nny!!!

Dobber Sports Padawan

One thing that we have to recognize, is that Briere has huge cojones to come in Montreal, fully knowing that the majority of the fanbase is still mad at him for the choice he made six years ago.

Administrator

One thing that we have to recognize, is that Briere has huge cojones to come in Montreal, fully knowing that the majority of the fanbase is still mad at him for the choice he made six years ago.
    I doubt that is much of a factor come October.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Agreed. I don't get the hate, this is why a guy like Gary Roberts was dealt to Pittsburgh
    To be fair, Pittsburgh was a cup contender. Montreal isn't.

My main concern is that if Briere get top six minutes plus PP time, that's going to take time away from guys like Eller, Galch and Gallagher. I'd rather keep the focus on the young guys and let them develop and give them more ice time.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    To be fair, Pittsburgh was a cup contender. Montreal isn't.

My main concern is that if Briere get top six minutes plus PP time, that's going to take time away from guys like Eller, Galch and Gallagher. I'd rather keep the focus on the young guys and let them develop and give them more ice time.
    they weren't cup contenders yet in 2007. They got hosed in the first round.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Does anyone thinks that Bergevin cuold explore the offer sheet route? Any targets that come to mind?

Bogosian would be one in my mind.

Dobber Sports Pro

Does anyone thinks that Bergevin cuold explore the offer sheet route? Any targets that come to mind?

Bogosian would be one in my mind.
    McDonaugh.
    Everything will come full circle.
    Wpg will match pretty much any offersheet for Bogosian and then say thank you.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop