Page 158 of 606 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 168 208 258 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    good point. That list hasn't been updated since the QF.

Regardless, my point is that's a wealth of picks in a draft that could produce some strong NHL players.
    100% agree... Under Pierre Gauthier, Timmins did not have a lot of picks in the second round (none in 2009-2010-2011) and he has a good track record in that round (Subban-Latendresse-Kristo). He must be terribly excited about the next draft, and I trust him entirely.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    This is all great stuff. After the draft, the 2013 habs will have a ton of talent in the pipeline. With this being a reportedly deep draft, Trevor Timmins must be giddy about the gems he can mine in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. It will really allow the organization to diversify what types of prospects they take chances on; big, small, skilled, strong, high risk/high reward, D, F, G. This time next year, Montreal could have a wealth of assets. I wouldnt mind seeing them packaging some of those 2nds and even the 1st to move up in the draft and get into the top 15.

Habs Picks for 2013
    1st round pick, between 23rd-26th** - Montréal
    2nd round pick, 34th overall* - Montréal (from Nashville - Kostitsyn trade)
    2nd round pick, 36th overall* - Montréal (from Calgary - Cammalleri trade)
    2nd round pick, between 53rd-56th** - Montréal
    3rd round pick, 71st overall* - Montréal (from Dallas - Cole trade)
    3rd round pick, between 84th-87th** - Montréal

What a nice change from previous years, when we had meager draft picks, many having been traded away.

Those early draft picks in the 2nd round are going to be so valuable, what a nice bonus for us that Nashville picked this year to regress so massively.

I agree that trading some of those picks to move up would be something to ocnsider, but I can also see Bergevin taking the opportunity to just load up in this year's draft, the more players drafted in the first couple of rounds, the better chance that you end up getting a solid NHLer out of the drafted players,which is the goal.

Clearly, we'll be looking for size, size, size, upfront especially. I can see this Mike McCarron kid in a Habs uniform.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    The Habs 1st will be the 21st overall (14 teams that missed the playoffs + 6 teams that were eliminated in the 1st round of the playoffs and had a worst record than the Habs will pick before them)

so they should have 21-34-36-51-71-81

Funny you mention the 21st overall. Dan Kramer on Twitter had posted that we would be getting either the 23rd, 24th or 25th, and I couldn't understand why since it was clear to me that they should be getting the 2nd worst (after Anaheim) pick after you count the 14 non-playoff teams.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    The Habs 1st will be the 21st overall (14 teams that missed the playoffs + 6 teams that were eliminated in the 1st round of the playoffs and had a worst record than the Habs will pick before them)

so they should have 21-34-36-51-71-81
    Picks #15-26 will be based on regular season standings. The last four will go to teams proceeding to Conference Finals but teams eliminated in the 2nd round can draft higher than teams eliminated in the 1st round. So Habs' 1st will not be 21st in any case. At best it will be 23rd overall, at worst it will be 25th overall.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Picks #15-26 will be based on regular season standings. The last four will go to teams proceeding to Conference Finals but teams eliminated in the 2nd round can draft higher than teams eliminated in the 1st round. So Habs' 1st will not be 21st in any case. At best it will be 23rd overall, at worst it will be 25th overall.
    yep...just checked that up. Sorry, I was convinced that it was a round by round seeding.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post

Thanks, mystery solved! Although it sucks for the Habs, yet more cause for frustration at losing in the 1st round!

Dobber Sports Icon

With the moves Bergevin made this year, the signings, drafting, etc., he strikes me as a "Ray Shero" type in terms of not being afraid to move, and move quickly, to address team needs. This bodes very well for the future. Many fans lament the fact that their GMs don't make "bold moves", most of the time they're dead wrong, because much of the time a GM wins by the moves he does NOT make, not by the moves he does make, and patience is a virtue (and patience is something your average fan does not possess in abundance). In Bergevin's case we'll have the advantage of a GM that isn't afraid to pull the trigger when the time is right, and that's something that the fan base can be excited about, even the impatient ones.

So I can see him making a splash and trading players and picks to move up into the first round, if he sees a guy he really wants who is available based on a deal, or being patient and just drafting a bunch of lesser prospects with all those 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    With the moves Bergevin made this year, the signings, drafting, etc., he strikes me as a "Ray Shero" type in terms of not being afraid to move, and move quickly, to address team needs. This bodes very well for the future. Many fans lament the fact that their GMs don't make "bold moves", most of the time they're dead wrong, because much of the time a GM wins by the moves he does NOT make, not by the moves he does make, and patience is a virtue (and patience is something your average fan does not possess in abundance). In Bergevin's case we'll have the advantage of a GM that isn't afraid to pull the trigger when the time is right, and that's something that the fan base can be excited about, even the impatient ones.

So I can see him making a splash and trading players and picks to move up into the first round, if he sees a guy he really wants who is available based on a deal, or being patient and just drafting a bunch of lesser prospects with all those 2nd and 3rd rounders.
    I think that the best news is that Bergevin seems to be fully aware that his window is not yet open, and he is smart enough to stick to his plan. He won't build a powerhouse overnight, his team is still 2-3 years away from contending, and he isn't making moves to try to make it happen earlier. That's why he did not move on Trade deadline, and that's why I don't see him be very busy on the UFA market this summer. He might explore his trade options for sure. If he can add a player to his core or improving his draft selections, he will. But I do believe him when he says that he will build that team from within.

The Habs might very well regress in the standings next season, and that would not be the end of the world, as long as the GM does not enter the panic mode (like Gauthier did a lot).

Administrator

A couple thoughts:

-Size was not what prevented the Habs from beating the Sens. It was a factor... but definitely not in the top-5 reasons. Remember when the Habs finished 8th and took the Bruins to game 7 OT? Cammalleri had an open net in OT and hit Chara's foot. If that puck goes in do the Habs' players suddenly gain size? Habs lost to Sens for two reasons: goaltending and capitalizing on scoring chances.
    -I don't believe in windows of opportunity to win the Stanley Cup. I prefer building a team that will be in the mix every year. That way every year becomes a Cup run without even thinking about it. It involves making good personnel decisions at every level.
    -Don't get too excited about what the Habs have in the pipeline right now. It may all pan out, but more likely there will be disappointments. Tinordi and Beaulieu look awesome right now but so did Mike Komisarek once upon a time. Remember when Higgins and Kostitsyn(x2) looked like sure things after starting their careers strong? Just saying.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post

-I don't believe in windows of opportunity to win the Stanley Cup. I prefer building a team that will be in the mix every year. That way every year becomes a Cup run without even thinking about it. It involves making good personnel decisions at every level.
    I might have use a different wording... When I said "window", I should have said "will seriously pretend". For sure, the main goal is to be competitive year in and year out for an extended periode of time. What I meant is that I don't think that the Habs will be there before another 2 years.

Banned

A couple thoughts:

-Size was not what prevented the Habs from beating the Sens. It was a factor... but definitely not in the top-5 reasons.
    I disagree with that, it was definitely a major factor as to why they were unable to capitalize on scoring chances (though I agree it was not the only reason). When all you're getting is first shots from farther out with no traffic in front of a guy like Anderson you're not going to score many goals. I can't count how many times they were out-muscled for juicy rebounds in front, or where Anderson's quick glove stopped the play because he could see the shot perfectly all the way in. But I don't want to see them add size at the cost of speed either, that's why I mentioned a guy like Kreider earlier, great size, great speed and drives the net. It will be interesting to see if they target a guy like that this draft

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I disagree with that, it was definitely a major factor as to why they were unable to capitalize on scoring chances (though I agree it was not the only reason). When all you're getting is first shots from farther out with no traffic in front of a guy like Anderson you're not going to score many goals. I can't count how many times they were out-muscled for juicy rebounds in front, or where Anderson's quick glove stopped the play because he could see the shot perfectly all the way in. But I don't want to see them add size at the cost of speed either, that's why I mentioned a guy like Kreider earlier, great size, great speed and drives the net. It will be interesting to see if they target a guy like that this draft
    They didn't have trouble getting rebounds during the season. So many goals scored just by crashing the crease. They stopped doing it consistently. Too many guys were peeling off to the sides for one-timers instead of going to the net.

Obviously size helps (Gallagher in a 6'2 205 body would do more damage naturally) but I do believe that the size factor is overrated. It's a factor, but there are more significant factors.

Administrator

On D, I do realize that the combination of Diaz/Markov/Gorges/Bouillon being undersized adds up. Up front the team is OK for the most part. Moving out Ryder and signing a bigger more complete/consistent player would help. I'm also tired of guys like Moen/Armstrong/Blunden who people want because they have size yet they never use it.

Administrator

All of this to say... as much as size is nice, I think the player's ability to play hockey should be emphasized far more. I don't want to be Edmonton signing and drafting any goon they can find. Give me a hockey player who happens to be able to throw his body around (Prust, Bourque, etc) over a goon who happens to play a bit of hockey (Laraque, Boll, etc).

Dobber Sports Pro

A couple thoughts:
    -Don't get too excited about what the Habs have in the pipeline right now. It may all pan out, but more likely there will be disappointments. Tinordi and Beaulieu look awesome right now but so did Mike Komisarek once upon a time. Remember when Higgins and Kostitsyn(x2) looked like sure things after starting their careers strong? Just saying.
    Without a doubt there will be duds, it's inevitable. But between the crop from the '12 draft and whatever they draft in '13 there is a good chance a couple of them will turn into top 6 fwds that will contribute for 4-5 years which is all you can really ask for. Nobody's expecting 'franchise players' from either of these crops.

Higgins had three 20 goal seasons in the NHL which isn't mindblowing but he's continued to have an NHL job. Considering less than 20% of all players drafted actually play ~200 NHL games, Higgins, Komi, & Kostitsyn can't be labelled as busts (my word not yours).

All we can do his hope for a home run in the 2nd round. Notable 2nd & 3rd rounders: James Neal, Ryan O'Reilly, Derek Stepan, Pk Subban, Letang, Lucic, Marchand. Something like these would be a nice treat.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop