Page 157 of 607 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 167 207 257 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    2012-13 is in the books fot the Habs. Curious to see what Bergevin will have to say when he'll meet the press at noon.

Right now, the 2013-14 Montreal Canadiens look like this. Kaberle will likely be bought out, and all UFAs do not appear on this line-up.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
    White-Dumont-Moen

Markov-Emelin
    Gorges-Subban
    Tinordi-Bouillon
    Diaz

Price
    Budaj

Bergevin has around 5.6 millions to play with...

What moves would you like to see?

I think the best tactic for the Habs moving forward is to balance their speed with some size, we got manhandled and knocked off the puck a lot in that series with the Sens and while our speed did allow us some good scoring chances that didn't do us much good against a hot Anderson and bigger stronger defenders scooping up all the rebounds. I'd love to see the Habs go after someone like Chris Kreider, a guy with great size (6'3 - 230 lbs) but also speed to match. I doubt the Rangers will deal him but it can't hurt to ask right? lol Barring that, the cupboard is looking more than a little bare in Hamilton with all the guys the Habs have been calling up lately so it will take some time for the talent to replenish there.

The Habs will probably be relatively unchanged next season, it will be after 2014 that we have many of the contracts expiring so this would be my 2-year plan:

• buh bye Kaberle, Ryder and Armstrong, they're easily replaced by guys with more talent and heart. I'd like to see us sign someone like Morrow to a 2-3 year deal...great leadership, great intensity and physical game and he still has a few years in the tank

• I love Desharnais but we don't need another Gionta. Unfortunately we already signed him for 4 years at too much money so the goal should be to build a line around him that he can thrive on. So the best we can do is let Gionta walk after next season when his contract expires. He'll be 35 so it's a no brainer. Desharnais is still a skilled player, he just needs some bigger linemates to create space and time for him to do his smurfy little thing

• with Gionta gone we'll need a RW, Clarkson is a UFA this year, he'd look nice in a Habs uniform

• Bouillion I didn't like the first time round, I like him even less now. I would upgrade him to a more reliable stay-at-home dman...someone like Willie Mitchell would be a fine signing for a couple years

• Diaz I'm not a fan of either, he gets knocked off the puck too easily and with Emelin and Tinordi coming up now as well I don't see any room for a guy like him on the roster

• Markov I love seeing him healthy all year but he's not quite the same player he once was. I'd be happy to have him continue to be a Hab but he's going to have to take less money and a shorter term on his contract given that wonky knee

• Bourque isn't ideal but he's been better than I expected so he'll be a servicable winger for the next few years, hopefully he can improve his game and consistency. I think surrounding him with hard working character guys will help a lot.

Administrator

Some good thoughts already. Keep em coming. I'm waiting for a day where I'm not fatigued or on writing assignment to go big picture and philosophical. Hopefully by Thursday.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

One thing from the team's exit interview day is that Eller is healing quite nicely. We never know for sure about concussions but if he's progressing this quickly I don't anticipate to see lingering effects next season.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I think the best tactic for the Habs moving forward is to balance their speed with some size, we got manhandled and knocked off the puck a lot in that series with the Sens and while our speed did allow us some good scoring chances that didn't do us much good against a hot Anderson and bigger stronger defenders scooping up all the rebounds. I'd love to see the Habs go after someone like Chris Kreider, a guy with great size (6'3 - 230 lbs) but also speed to match. I doubt the Rangers will deal him but it can't hurt to ask right? lol Barring that, the cupboard is looking more than a little bare in Hamilton with all the guys the Habs have been calling up lately so it will take some time for the talent to replenish there.

The Habs will probably be relatively unchanged next season, it will be after 2014 that we have many of the contracts expiring so this would be my 2-year plan:

• buh bye Kaberle, Ryder and Armstrong, they're easily replaced by guys with more talent and heart. I'd like to see us sign someone like Morrow to a 2-3 year deal...great leadership, great intensity and physical game and he still has a few years in the tank

• I love Desharnais but we don't need another Gionta. Unfortunately we already signed him for 4 years at too much money so the goal should be to build a line around him that he can thrive on. So the best we can do is let Gionta walk after next season when his contract expires. He'll be 35 so it's a no brainer. Desharnais is still a skilled player, he just needs some bigger linemates to create space and time for him to do his smurfy little thing

• with Gionta gone we'll need a RW, Clarkson is a UFA this year, he'd look nice in a Habs uniform

• Bouillion I didn't like the first time round, I like him even less now. I would upgrade him to a more reliable stay-at-home dman...someone like Willie Mitchell would be a fine signing for a couple years

• Diaz I'm not a fan of either, he gets knocked off the puck too easily and with Emelin and Tinordi coming up now as well I don't see any room for a guy like him on the roster

• Markov I love seeing him healthy all year but he's not quite the same player he once was. I'd be happy to have him continue to be a Hab but he's going to have to take less money and a shorter term on his contract given that wonky knee

• Bourque isn't ideal but he's been better than I expected so he'll be a servicable winger for the next few years, hopefully he can improve his game and consistency. I think surrounding him with hard working character guys will help a lot.
    Clarkson and Clowe will get ridiculous contracts, and I don't see Bergevin overpaying to get them. That's why I think Stalberg would be a greatplan B.

Agree that Gionta will be let go at the end of his contract. There is no place for him on the roster with the emergence of Gallagher.

Desharnais and Pacioretty need to rediscover their chemistry that made them so good last year and the year before in the AHL. I think they will both rebound next season.

Beside Dumont and White, there is not a single RFA/UFA that I see resigning with the Habs.

Kaberle will be bought out for sure.

I like Bouillon a lot, but he was relied on too much this year. He is the perfect 6/7 Dman, with occasional healthy scratch.

If Mike Gillis is willing to part with one of his high paid Dmen (excluding Ballard), I hope that Bergevin will be able to pull something. Edler or Bieksa would be great additions.

As you said, if Markov want to be back after next year, he will have to take a HUGE paycut. He can't be a top pairing defenseman at this point. He is a PP QB who should see protected minutes 5-on-5.

At the right price, I wouldn't mind to see Jagr for one year in Montreal.

Would the Habs be ready to take a chance on Ryan Whitney??

Dobber Sports Guru

The more I think about, the more I think the Habs don't need to make a lot of big moves. Just some minor tweaks to their third/fourth lines. I'd rather the young guys start to get more minutes than to bring in someone like Whitney or Jagr and eat up that time.

Plus, 2014 is going to be a crazy year for free agents. Even if the cap goes back up $5 million, a lot of teams will be crazy close to the cap.

I'd say wait a year, let our young guns (Galch, Eller, Gallagher, etc.) play a lot of minutes, and then next year make a big splash. But let's not handcuff ourselves into a big contract for a Clarkson. Let Gionta and all them walk, and see if we can't get a big name (I don't think we could get a Malkin, but a Thornton? Marleau? Gaborik? Vanek? Kessel? Bergeron? Pavelski? Brown? etc etc.).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    The more I think about, the more I think the Habs don't need to make a lot of big moves. Just some minor tweaks to their third/fourth lines. I'd rather the young guys start to get more minutes than to bring in someone like Whitney or Jagr and eat up that time.

Plus, 2014 is going to be a crazy year for free agents. Even if the cap goes back up $5 million, a lot of teams will be crazy close to the cap.

I'd say wait a year, let our young guns (Galch, Eller, Gallagher, etc.) play a lot of minutes, and then next year make a big splash. But let's not handcuff ourselves into a big contract for a Clarkson. Let Gionta and all them walk, and see if we can't get a big name (I don't think we could get a Malkin, but a Thornton? Marleau? Gaborik? Vanek? Kessel? Bergeron? Pavelski? Brown? etc etc.).
    I don't think that there will be much changes next year either.

But there is no youngster ready to graduate next season, except maybe Kristo and Collberg (very long shot). I also hope that they will give more responsibilities to the young guys you named, but there is still room to add a solid top 6 forward and, even more, a top 4 dman. As you said, the UFA market is not great this summer, so contracts will be ridiculous. If something major happens, it will be via a trade. With the emergence of Eller and Galchenyuk, might Plekanec be a trade bait? I guess that Bergevin will want to see Eller in action before trading Pleks, but the return could be interesting.

Administrator

the UFA market is not great this summer, so contracts will be ridiculous.
    Not so fast. The cap is dropping big time and a lot of teams are already over 64.3. Amnesty buyouts will not cover everything.

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't think that there will be much changes next year either.

But there is no youngster ready to graduate next season, except maybe Kristo and Collberg (very long shot). I also hope that they will give more responsibilities to the young guys you named, but there is still room to add a solid top 6 forward and, even more, a top 4 dman. As you said, the UFA market is not great this summer, so contracts will be ridiculous. If something major happens, it will be via a trade. With the emergence of Eller and Galchenyuk, might Plekanec be a trade bait? I guess that Bergevin will want to see Eller in action before trading Pleks, but the return could be interesting.

I too think that patience will be a virtue for Bergevin here, after all the Habs, while improving, are not yet a bona fide Cup contender, it's just the reality. If they were then the Sens would be in our rear-view mirror.

Here is the take I had in a recent exchange with some fellow Habs fans:

"The Habs will have an outside chance at winning a Cup as soon as next spring, a decent chance in 2015, and then in the following two or three year window they will be considered real contenders. That's when Galchenyuk and Gallagher will have matured into stars, Pacioretty will continue his progress to becoming one of the game's premier goal-scoring power forwards, Eller is already emerging into a very very good two-way power centerman, Subban and Price will cement their world class superstar status, you will have Tinordi and Beaulieu with the squad fulltime to bolster the D at both ends of the ice and to complement Subban, Gorges and Emelin, there will be some very solid contributors emerging at forward from among Collberg, Bozon, Hudon, Kristo, and guys like Gorges, Prust, Plekanec (if he's not traded before then) will be around to provide solid vet leadership. Plus with the salary we'll be shedding by then in guys like Gionta, Markov, Kaberle (will be a buyout this summer), we'll be able to sign or trade for one or two big name players, probably a forward and a dman, once we're ready to make a run at the Cup. You'll see Bergevin wait until he sees the rest of the team is ready, and then he'll make a couple of huge trade or free agent signings to fill holes and strengthen weaknesses, with a view to a long Cup run (or two).

The key to all this is the long term signings of Price through 2018 and Pacioretty through 2019, and you'll see Subban signed to a similar long-term deal, and then Galchenyuk and Gallagher to follow, that's the core right there, and I'll add Eller now that he's so clearly starting to emerge into a Jordan Staal-like force."

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Not so fast. The cap is dropping big time and a lot of teams are already over 64.3. Amnesty buyouts will not cover everything.
    This situation could be an idea for a Capped article... Could you take a look at the situation of teams that are up against the cap, and highlights they will have to make?

According to cap geek, there are not a lot of teams over that 64.3 cap right now.

http://capgeek.com/?charts_year=2013...64%2C300%2C000

Of course, all teams have players to resign, so that will bring them close or over the cap. The players that will be the target of an amnesty buyout will have to negociate new contracts, and to me, this is the real X factor in this year UFA market.

Administrator

This situation could be an idea for a Capped article... Could you take a look at the situation of teams that are up against the cap, and highlights they will have to make?

According to cap geek, there are not a lot of teams over that 64.3 cap right now.

http://capgeek.com/?charts_year=2013...64%2C300%2C000

Of course, all teams have players to resign, so that will bring them close or over the cap. The players that will be the target of an amnesty buyout will have to negociate new contracts, and to me, this is the real X factor in this year UFA market.
    I covered it a bit after the lockout ended but will revisit the topic. The UFA crop looks weak now but will be flooded once teams start using their free buyouts. So what I think will happen is players will be shafted into lower paying contracts but will sign short-term since the cap is going to go back up.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Magnus Nygren, Montreal's 4th round pick in 2011, has signed a two-year contract with the Habs. The deal can't be officially announced because there is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the Eliteserien right now, but it should be done after the WHC.

Nygren, 6'0'' and 192 pounds, was named the best defenseman in the SEL last season. He still have a contract to play in Sweden next season, but he did not close the door regarding a season in the AHL. His agent said that they will look at what is best for his development.

Nygren is an offensive Dman who plays with an edge. He has a booming shot, but is still raw in his own end.

In related news, Sebastian Collberg intends to play the last year of his contract in Sweden, so he won't play in North America before 2014-15.

Source: La Presse

Administrator

Magnus Nygren, Montreal's 4th round pick in 2011, has signed a two-year contract with the Habs. The deal can't be officially announced because there is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the Eliteserien right now, but it should be done after the WHC.

Nygren, 6'0'' and 192 pounds, was named the best defenseman in the SEL last season. He still have a contract to play in Sweden next season, but he did not close the door regarding a season in the AHL. His agent said that they will look at what is best for his development.

Nygren is an offensive Dman who plays with an edge. He has a booming shot, but is still raw in his own end.

In related news, Sebastian Collberg intends to play the last year of his contract in Sweden, so he won't play in North America before 2014-15.

Source: La Presse
    On Nygren: Good signing, and hopefully he is in the AHL next year. Hamilton needs help so he would get a great opportunity to produce immediately. It would also put him in a position to be fast-tracked to the NHL if injuries happen and he moves to the front of the call-up line.

On Collberg: Extremely disappointed that he's staying in the SEL. He is not getting enough minutes there. We might be waiting a while for this one to develop. That's not a bad thing, but if he had been drafted in the 1st round like he was projected his team might start to grow impatient.

Dobber Sports Pro

This is all great stuff. After the draft, the 2013 habs will have a ton of talent in the pipeline. With this being a reportedly deep draft, Trevor Timmins must be giddy about the gems he can mine in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. It will really allow the organization to diversify what types of prospects they take chances on; big, small, skilled, strong, high risk/high reward, D, F, G. This time next year, Montreal could have a wealth of assets. I wouldnt mind seeing them packaging some of those 2nds and even the 1st to move up in the draft and get into the top 15.

Habs Picks for 2013
    1st round pick, between 23rd-26th** - Montréal
    2nd round pick, 34th overall* - Montréal (from Nashville - Kostitsyn trade)
    2nd round pick, 36th overall* - Montréal (from Calgary - Cammalleri trade)
    2nd round pick, between 53rd-56th** - Montréal
    3rd round pick, 71st overall* - Montréal (from Dallas - Cole trade)
    3rd round pick, between 84th-87th** - Montréal
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    This is all great stuff. After the draft, the 2013 habs will have a ton of talent in the pipeline. With this being a reportedly deep draft, Trevor Timmins must be giddy about the gems he can mine in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. It will really allow the organization to diversify what types of prospects they take chances on; big, small, skilled, strong, high risk/high reward, D, F, G. This time next year, Montreal could have a wealth of assets. I wouldnt mind seeing them packaging some of those 2nds and even the 1st to move up in the draft and get into the top 15.

Habs Picks for 2013
    1st round pick, between 23rd-26th** - Montréal
    2nd round pick, 34th overall* - Montréal (from Nashville - Kostitsyn trade)
    2nd round pick, 36th overall* - Montréal (from Calgary - Cammalleri trade)
    2nd round pick, between 53rd-56th** - Montréal
    3rd round pick, 71st overall* - Montréal (from Dallas - Cole trade)
    3rd round pick, between 84th-87th** - Montréal
    The Habs 1st will be the 21st overall (14 teams that missed the playoffs + 6 teams that were eliminated in the 1st round of the playoffs and had a worst record than the Habs will pick before them)

so they should have 21-34-36-51-71-81

Dobber Sports Pro

The Habs 1st will be the 21st overall (14 teams that missed the playoffs + 6 teams that were eliminated in the 1st round of the playoffs and had a worst record than the Habs will pick before them)

so they should have 21-34-36-51-71-81
    good point. That list hasn't been updated since the QF.

Regardless, my point is that's a wealth of picks in a draft that could produce some strong NHL players.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop