Page 147 of 607 FirstFirst ... 47 97 137 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 157 197 247 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    I wasn't referring to his recent slump, of course it's insignificant....let's move away from that.

If you want a reason for how the conclusion gets drawn, I'll give a detailed one: it's from Montreal's style of play and how they depend on the goalie to make saves on quality chances moreso than other contending teams. Statistically their D only lets through 27 shots per game (for comparison, let's take a team like boston which many consider to be more sound defensively - but boston lets through an average of 28.5 shots per game). That being said, Price's SV% (.908) that is ranked at a pedestrian 29th in the league, whereas Rask has SV% that ranks at 3rd in the league. Montreal has beaten Boston both games this season (by one goal, and once in a shootout won by Budaj after Price was pulled)- though I'd hardly call that a portent of playoff potential.

Based on what I've seen, the way a team like boston plays is grittier and more intimidating defensively than the habs - my impression is that more of their opponent's shots come from a further distance and tend to be easier saves for Rask/Khudobin, whereas montreal's opponents get closer in and have a few more quality scoring chances per game.

So... Montreal plays well in the regular season, and Price wins games thanks in part to his skill and thanks in part to Montreal's O. I just haven't seen much game-wise and statistic wise that would convince me that a goalie who ranks 29th in the league in SV% and 22nd in the league in GAA can carry a team not as known for its defensive grit (as compared to ..let's say boston) far in the post season.

How's that?
    A few holes in this
    The average shot on Rask (35.9') is actually closer than Price (36.7)

so your theory of "my impression is that more of their opponent's shots come from a further distance and tend to be easier saves for Rask/Khudobin, whereas montreal's opponents get closer in and have a few more quality scoring chances per game. " is proven incorrect.

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/index...&search=Search

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/index...&search=Search
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Administrator

Ryan White is gone for five. I'm sure some fans will find counter-examples that went unpunished but I think fans have been barking up that tree for far too long. The consistency will never be there. It's not how the league runs.

Bottom line: When you charge in that quickly to go for a big hit the onus is on the player (White in this case) to not screw up and throw an illegal hit. I don't think it was an intentional head shot, but rather a wildly irresponsible play. I have no problem with White sitting for a while.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Ryan White is gone for five. I'm sure some fans will find counter-examples that went unpunished but I think fans have been barking up that tree for far too long. The consistency will never be there. It's not how the league runs.

Bottom line: When you charge in that quickly to go for a big hit the onus is on the player (White in this case) to not screw up and throw an illegal hit. I don't think it was an intentional head shot, but rather a wildly irresponsible play. I have no problem with White sitting for a while.
    " But coach, I was just trying to energize the team....you know, give pro athletes some energy! fire the boys up!"
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    " But coach, I was just trying to energize the team....you know, give pro athletes some energy! fire the boys up!"
    This is where hockey gets it wrong (again). How about doing something that will help lead to a goal (grinding, cycling, crashing the net, etc) instead of running around like a chicken with its head cut off?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    The average shot on Rask (35.9') is actually closer than Price (36.7)

so your theory of "my impression is that more of their opponent's shots come from a further distance and tend to be easier saves for Rask/Khudobin, whereas montreal's opponents get closer in and have a few more quality scoring chances per game. " is proven incorrect.
    I wonder how the breakdowns of the shots are in terms of up-close, quality scoring chances per game (let's say within a 10' radius) versus a raw average alone, which may not tell the whole story. It still could translate to more up close scoring chances vs Price than vs Rask. Let's say for the sake of argument that it doesn't, and that per the raw average - Rask faces slightly further shots and slightly fewer quality chances.

EDIT: I just checked it - Price had 54 shots within a 10 foot radius and 22% of them were goals, while Rask had 67, and 14% were goals. This just makes Price look worse, strengthening the assertion that he doesn't look like the type of goalie who would carry a team far in the playoffs, when compared to Rask.
    Last edited by ShawneePanthers; April 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Administrator

Default Canadiens 4, Penguins 6

Theme of the game: coach's first sign of weakness. It was a terrible game overall but the coach made his first decision that was awful from the beginning: yanking Petr Budaj after the first period and putting in Carey Price. For the first time it felt like a desperate move. When Price starts the game on the bench he is obviously looking forward to the next game which happens to be tomorrow night. The backup should not get the hook unless he is injured, especially with what has been happening with the team lately. A simple goalie change was not going to change the momentum. I mean, they tried it last game and the results were terrible. Good year overall, but I just didn't like this decision at all.

I'm going to stop here because of other commitments including my weekly Capped article. As usual the discussion will continue.

Dobber Sports Guru

Let's look at the bright side before we get too negative.

Eller had two assists, was a plus-two, and was six of nine in face offs.

Andrei Markov scored his first non-powerplay goal of the year.

And that's all I got.

I will say one thing negative though: It doesn't feel like the Habs are getting that many good scoring chances. Lots of shots, but no real quality chances for the most part.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Stud

Galchenyuk, Alex » Goal scorers' goal...so sick, so slick!
    Fantasy Hockey Keeper Leagues
    {Linden Cup Year 9: 16 GM Points only - Hockeydraft} "Back 2 Back Champions!"
    {TBIM Year 3: 18 GM H2H - Fantrax}
    {NFHA II Inaugural Year 1: 20 GM Roto Salary cap- Fantrax}
    {ZFHL Year 1: 30 GM Roto Salary cap - Fantrax}
    {NHDL Year 1: 16 GM H2H - Fantrax}

Administrator

Definitely some positives that were noted. I missed large chunks of the game due to family stuff. I saw about 75% of the game.

I also did not like Subban's reaction after his fight. It did not fit something that he should be doing when the team is down and out.

Administrator

I can't help but feel for the goalies when the game starts and yet another quick one goes in.

Dobber Sports Guru

I think they'll be a much better team tonight. We've always had trouble with the Flyers (only one win this season). The Pens are the top team in the East. And the Leafs have done well against the Habs this year. The Habs just happened to hit a streak where they play the teams that give them the most trouble.

They now have 10 days to get it straight. They won't face Philly in the playoffs. They won't face the Pens until the second round at the earliest. The Leafs are possible. But yeah, if they had played Philly, then Buffalo and Carolina, then Toronto and Tampa, and then the Pens, it wouldn't seem as bad.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I think they'll be a much better team tonight. We've always had trouble with the Flyers (only one win this season). The Pens are the top team in the East. And the Leafs have done well against the Habs this year. The Habs just happened to hit a streak where they play the teams that give them the most trouble.

They now have 10 days to get it straight. They won't face Philly in the playoffs. They won't face the Pens until the second round at the earliest. The Leafs are possible. But yeah, if they had played Philly, then Buffalo and Carolina, then Toronto and Tampa, and then the Pens, it wouldn't seem as bad.
    That's valid to an extent. It's been as much about the Habs as it is about the other teams though. The level of sloppiness has been more evident than it has been since last season. They seem to be a notch or two lower in every facet of the game. Not irreparable, but it's something that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I don't know you were the habs writer !!! Nice !! you saw this slashing on Gionta... ahahha

Those goaltender are so big 6'6 lindback and 6'7 for Bishop .. damn
    NHL Caphit(79.5M),pts only keeper league,16 Teams,Weekly H2H,Start 6F 4D 1G

F:Backstrom,Matthews,Giroux,Kessel,Barzal,Bailey,S tone,Labanc,Steel
    D:Klingberg,Krug,Vatanen,Letang,Girard,Liljegren
    G:Bobrovsky,Murray,Ullmark,Hart,Parsons

Administrator

Default Lightning 2, Canadiens 3

Theme of the game: major step forward. The bleeding was stopped, at least for now. The team returned to its old ways. They played well overall and did not fold after the Lightning tied it at 2-2. The key was to avoid a situation such as being down 2-0 early again which would have spoiled the mood quickly.

Player of the game: Carey Price 32/34 (.941). Outstanding game which included his best save of the year. Most importantly he was not rattled by the goals that did go in. Hopefully the good play can continue.

Brian Gionta had excellent timing around the net, especially with deflections. He scored twice including the game winner and had several other chances.

Alex Galchenyuk is a beast. The things he can do with the puck are amazing.

Max Pacioretty played much better than he has of late. He was more involved physically and skated much harder.

Yannick Weber has two assists in two games since returning to the lineup. This is what he must do to keep his spot in the lineup.

Dobber Sports Pro

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421261

Diaz returns to the lineup after missing 25 games with a concussion.

Great to have him back with a few games left so he can get his rythm back before the playoffs.

What does his return make of the defense pairings?

Subban-Gorges
    Markov-Diaz
    Drewiske-Bouillon
    Weber

Seems about right?