Page 135 of 606 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 145 185 235 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

I'm not saying Gionta is useless or anything like that, but he just leaves me wanting more on too many nights.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Price in nets tonight.

Weber also in, but the team did not announced who is sitting for him yet.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    Price in nets tonight.

Weber also in, but the team did not announced who is sitting for him yet.
    Logic would say Kaberle. Just to get Weber in and get some playing time. I can't rule out Armstrong or Moen sitting with Weber playing up front.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Logic would say Kaberle. Just to get Weber in and get some playing time. I can't rule out Armstrong or Moen sitting with Weber playing up front.
    Unless there is an unknown injury, that would indeed be logic. Kaberle wasn't playing badly since he came back in the lineup, but he wasn't that good either.

I saw that the forward lines were still the same this morning at practice, so Weber will probably play on D.

Administrator

Default Canadiens 4, Hurricanes 2

Theme of the game: stealing two points. The Habs did not deserve this one with the way they played in the second period. It was their worse 20 minutes all year and only a goalie could save it from being more of a disaster. They did a great job bouncing back in the third to close the deal.

Player of the game: Carey Price 42/44 (.933). Great bounce-back game. He saw a ton of shots and was a real difference maker. Ignore the soft second goal. The big picture is what matters and he did everything possible to help the team win.

Honorable mention to Brandon Prust. Amazing acquisition. He provides a lot of spark but is not a typical energy guy that runs around aimlessly throwing hits. He is excellent defensively and does the dirty work to help score goals. Just to be clear, his two assists tonight are not plays you will see often from Prust. The three points tonight give him nine in 24 games.

Lars Eller also had three points. His consistency is all over the place but tonight he was good.

Josh Gorges and PK Subban did great work jumping into the play and scored a goal and an assist each. Subban has 15 points in 18 games.

The Desharnais line did not see a lot of ice time tonight, obviously a symptom of how things played out in the second when the team was whipped up and down the rink.

Yannick Weber played his first game in a while. He was awful and left with an injury. I wrote about this before but whenever he is in and out of the press box he gets very nervous and plays his way out of the lineup. This is yet another example. He plays best when he knows he has a hold on a spot in the lineup.

The Plekanec/Gionta duo did nothing offensively. Michael Ryder was even benched for the third period in favor of Travis Moen.

Alexei Emelin hits hard and often. I can't say much else. Oh, he had an assist.

Administrator

To put something in perspective, only seven defensemen have more points than Subban's 15 in 18 games. Each of those guys have played 21 or more games. The contract holdout feels like such a distant memory.

Administrator

Just scanning over the Hamilton stats and thought I'd share a few observations that I see:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...007912013.html

Gabriel Dumont: By far the best contributor although that is not saying much. He is the only one I can see called up and inserted in the lineup. I would still prefer keeping what is on the team and letting this guy develop a bit more.

Mike Blunden: He could be called up too but putting him in the place of Armstrong for example is a lateral move at best. Again, probably better to stick with what is there in Montreal.

Nathan Beaulieu: Decent stats, but a lot of development left to do. Not an overnight sensation by any means. Next year will be very telling.

Louis Leblanc: Fallen off the rails like a Dobberhockey Lounge thread. No call-ups to Montreal until he gets straightened out. He is only 21 so no reason not to take it slow.

Frederic St-Denis: Not an NHL defenseman as some have speculated.

Jarred Tinordi: Surprising offense for a guy who is a shutdown defender in his first pro season. His career-high in the OHL was 16 points.

Greg Pateryn: Again, surprising 8 points in 22 games for a shutdown guy.

Brendon Nash: Also not an NHL defenseman after showing some positive signs. He did well in a favorable environment.

Morgan Ellis: Disappointing offense from a guy who was productive in junior.

Alexander Avtsin: Not an NHL player. If he appears in the prospects report again I will file a complaint.

Zack Stortini: If the team needs a goon he's the guy to call up. Once had 11 points in 52 games in Edmonton which is good for a fighter.

Dustin Tokarski: Outstanding since the trade. Dark horse to win the backup job if Budaj is not re-signed.

Robert Mayer: No progress shown and this is his third AHL season.

Overall this is an awful team. The team record is not awful but I see very little in terms of NHL readiness. Everything that was good about Hamilton over the last few years is currently in Montreal. The current crop is very disappointing. Some are inexperienced but many AHL rookies have success on other teams. No overnight stars here. Don't be surprised to see some college prospects and European free agents signed.

Administrator

Default Canadiens 4, Lightning 3

Theme of the game: Just good enough to win. The team was wildly inconsistent once again especially with some defensive zone breakdowns but managed to come back from down 3-1 to win.

Player of the game: Brendan Gallagher. His game-winning goal alone merits this mention. Great effort along the boards and in front of the net to jam the puck in. You can tell this is the type of player that contributes to victories. Not only does he work very hard but he does it in a way that produces results.

Goaltending: Carey Price 20/23 (.870). It was one of those nights where Price was not very busy but a few high-quality chances found their way into the net. Ideally he would find a way to make an extra big save or two.

Brandon Prust left the game with a shoulder injury. Let's hope that it's not serious.

Michael Ryder is a bizarre player to analyze. He does next to nothing during the game and ends up with two assists. He has six points (all assists) in six games since the trade.

Alexei Emelin's shot is finding the net with much more consistency this year. He has nine points in 25 games this year which is very impressive.

Greg Pateryn played his first game and was decent most of the time with some nervous moments. He did not stick out as a player that could force his way onto the team.

Gabriel Dumont resembles Prust and Gallagher in some ways being an undersized sparkplug. I can see him landing a fourth-line role at some point.

Brian Gionta kick-started the comeback with a goal in the third. Nice work going to the net and tapping in the loose puck.

Dobber Sports Guru

Interesting stat: Ryder has just as many points in six games with Montreal this season as Cole had in 19 games.

So far, all assists. Although he is going to the net (ie- the Gionta goal last night on the scramble: Ryder went to the net, caused havoc and swiped the puck toward the net that Gionta put in), and taking two shots a game on average, so the goals will come.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Default Canadiens 5, Panthers 2

Theme of the game: too damn easy. I know that the Panthers have injuries but they are not a difficult team to play against. They produced just 16 shots which included next to nothing in scoring chances, a lot of horrible execution on odd-man rushes and very little resistance against the Habs' offence. It took Francis Bouillon to finally break the shutout.

Player of the game: Michael Ryder. Two nice deflection goals and an assist. He is playing with a bit more intensity too. I don't think it was about Ryder finding his way with the team, but more about his linemates adjusting to him. The team loves to cycle and either create plays around the net or pass to the point. Ryder prefers to hang in the high slot for an open shot. His point totals are mind boggling.

Goaltending: Petr Budaj 14/16 (.875). He was barely tested and only had one great chance that resulted in a goal. Bouillon scored the other goal on him.

For anyone who missed the game, the shot difference was more revealing than the 5-2 score. The Habs out-shot the Panthers 38-16. I was amazed at how easy it was for the team to do its work. It felt like a Globetrotters game.

PK Subban added three assists and has clearly taken the next step in his development. He still makes some mistakes but his offensive skills are translating into points which is a huge plus. His slap shot rarely misses the net.

Brendan Gallagher added another assist and seven shots. Such a great player coming up. He might not ever be a top-level scorer but he will be an important part of a winning team.

Brian Gionta is correcting his stats with a goal and an assist to bring his total up to nine goals and 16 points in 26 games. Despite what I have written about him recently I do not question his abilities as a hockey player. He is a talented goal scorer.

Tomas Plakenec had two assists which gives him 18 points in 26 games.

Despite Andrei Markov slowing down his assist tonight puts him at 17 points in 26 games which remains an elite-level point total.

Gabriel Dumont remains one to watch. Not as a point producer, but he brings a lot of the same grit and determination that guys like Ryan White and Gallagher bring. Could be good in deep roto leagues if he can catch on and stick with the team.

Alexei Emelin had an assist and is up to 10 points. He had seven points in 67 games last year. Impressive development to say the least. He is finding ways to get in position to use his shot in the offensive zone. Oh, and being Markov's linemate helps.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Interesting stat: Ryder has just as many points in six games with Montreal this season as Cole had in 19 games.

So far, all assists. Although he is going to the net (ie- the Gionta goal last night on the scramble: Ryder went to the net, caused havoc and swiped the puck toward the net that Gionta put in), and taking two shots a game on average, so the goals will come.
    I should have posted this earlier on, if I knew he was going to respond with two goals.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Interesting stat posted by RDS yesterday during the game:
    Habs are 1st in the league for Dmen goals with 17.
    17 goals in 26 games is significant.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Interesting stat posted by RDS yesterday during the game:
    Habs are 1st in the league for Dmen goals with 17.
    17 goals in 26 games is significant.
    Subban - 6 (20 Games)
    Markov - 5
    Gorges -2
    Emelin - 2
    Boullion - 1
    Diaz - 1

In my leagues right now Subban is the 4th rated D.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Administrator

Only three defensemen have more points than Subban this year.

Administrator

Prust is supposed to miss 10-14 days with his shoulder problem.