Page 123 of 606 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 133 173 223 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    Gionta was injured on January 10 and missed the rest of the year... Bourque played his first game on January 15... I highly doubt they were his top linemates...
    They were his most frequent linemates but never at the same time.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Gionta was injured on January 10 and missed the rest of the year... Bourque played his first game on January 15... I highly doubt they were his top linemates...
    Then you should mention that to Behind the Net. They were his top linemates for the year. Cammy was next on the list. (Note, I'm not including dmen).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    They were his most frequent linemates but never at the same time.
    I remember reading something on this site about Plekanec not having the same two wingers for more than 10 % of his shifts last season. And Moen, Geoffrion, Palushaj and Leblanc all took turns on his wings... I'm not saying he will consistently get 70 pts a season, but there is no chance that he can post reasonable numbers under those circumstances.

In the last couple of seasons, his offense was also hurted by the fact that he was, by far, the best defensive forward on the team. He was on every PK more than once, and on every defensive mission. This season, he is not on the first wave on the PK, and usually get only one shift per kill. That should help his numbers a little.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Then you should mention that to Behind the Net. They were his top linemates for the year. Cammy was next on the list. (Note, I'm not including dmen).
    As Eric pointed out, I now understand that they were individually the to players that spent the most time with him on the ice... I thought you were saying that the three of them were on the ice together at the same time, which was obviously impossible.

Dobber Sports Stud

So MTL goes from rebuilding bottom feeders to potential top-4 contenders in the East now? Nice.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
    So MTL goes from rebuilding bottom feeders to potential top-4 contenders in the East now? Nice.
    The reality is somewhere in the middle. Last year team was not a last place team, and this year team is probably not a contender either. Having Markov and Gionta healthy helps a lot, and the emergence of Gallagher and Galchenyuk too. The coaching change, along with the new atmosphere create by the departure of Gauthier, is very positive.

All in all, the future is bright, but we won't reserve our place for the parade yet.

Dobber Sports Genius

The reality is somewhere in the middle. Last year team was not a last place team, and this year team is probably not a contender either. Having Markov and Gionta healthy helps a lot, and the emergence of Gallagher and Galchenyuk too. The coaching change, along with the new atmosphere create by the departure of Gauthier, is very positive.

All in all, the future is bright, but we won't reserve our place for the parade yet.
    the future is VERY bright. We should meet the oilers in the cup final sometime soon.
    If Markov would go down this year, the team does a 180. he is the general.
    Very nice pieces to build with....starting with young Price, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi on the backend.
    I'm excited to see how that swedish born 2nd rounder turns out. COlberg?
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Padawan

Palushaj has been cliamed off waivers by the Avalanche... I won't miss him at all. Good luck to him over there.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    the future is VERY bright. We should meet the oilers in the cup final sometime soon.
    If Markov would go down this year, the team does a 180. he is the general.
    Very nice pieces to build with....starting with young Price, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi on the backend.
    I'm excited to see how that swedish born 2nd rounder turns out. COlberg?
    I know you get excited about the Habs but I think we should be realistic about this.

1) The situation in Hamilton is dreadful. Gabriel Dumont leads the team with 25 points over 40 games. Nobody is ready to break through. Maybe they develop at some point but it's not like they have a Pacioretty or Desharnais ready to make the big jump and have a huge impact.
    2) If you are high on the prospects then you can't ignore that other teams have prospects too and I definitely rank Minnesota, Detroit, Florida and Edmonton ahead of Montreal in terms of the youth coming up. There are a few other teams I would rank ahead too.
    3) It was one good draft and a good start to the season. I don't know about you but I think we've been down this road before with a bunch of good prospects and a team that looks good on paper. I no longer give credit for incomplete work. When they are able to sustain winning then I will give them credit.

It's a fun time to be a Habs fan but there is a lot of work to be done.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I know you get excited about the Habs but I think we should be realistic about this.

1) The situation in Hamilton is dreadful. Gabriel Dumont leads the team with 25 points over 40 games. Nobody is ready to break through. Maybe they develop at some point but it's not like they have a Pacioretty or Desharnais ready to make the big jump and have a huge impact.
    2) If you are high on the prospects then you can't ignore that other teams have prospects too and I definitely rank Minnesota, Detroit, Florida and Edmonton ahead of Montreal in terms of the youth coming up. There are a few other teams I would rank ahead too.
    3) It was one good draft and a good start to the season. I don't know about you but I think we've been down this road before with a bunch of good prospects and a team that looks good on paper. I no longer give credit for incomplete work. When they are able to sustain winning then I will give them credit.

It's a fun time to be a Habs fan but there is a lot of work to be done.
    Entirely agree. While it is way funnier to watch games this season, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

None of the prospects in the pipeline is bustproof. The best of them are already in Montreal, and the ones in Hamilton are in their first year as professionals. Collberg is a promising prospect, but we have to wait until he crosses the pond before setting realistic expectations for him.

Price-Subban-Pacioretty-Galchenyuk is the main core for the future. Tinordi and Beaulieu are godd prospects on D, while Gorges is sign for the foreseeable future. With Ellis and Thrower in the system, it might turn out to be a position of strength. But what makes the success of the Habs so far this season is Markov. He won't be there forever, so let's hope that a couple of Dmen can step up their game in the coming years to compensate when he'll no longer be around.

Up front, Bozon-Hudon-Collberg-Kristo-Leblanc could all be quality players in the NHL...or in the AHL.

I am very optimistic, but there is a lot of work that need to be done before turning the Habs into perennial contenders.

Dobber Sports Icon

Entirely agree. While it is way funnier to watch games this season, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

None of the prospects in the pipeline is bustproof. The best of them are already in Montreal, and the ones in Hamilton are in their first year as professionals. Collberg is a promising prospect, but we have to wait until he crosses the pond before setting realistic expectations for him.

Price-Subban-Pacioretty-Galchenyuk is the main core for the future. Tinordi and Beaulieu are godd prospects on D, while Gorges is sign for the foreseeable future. With Ellis and Thrower in the system, it might turn out to be a position of strength. But what makes the success of the Habs so far this season is Markov. He won't be there forever, so let's hope that a couple of Dmen can step up their game in the coming years to compensate when he'll no longer be around.

Up front, Bozon-Hudon-Collberg-Kristo-Leblanc could all be quality players in the NHL...or in the AHL.

I am very optimistic, but there is a lot of work that need to be done before turning the Habs into perennial contenders.

Agreed, but we have reason for optimism despite what's down in Hamilton right now.

Collberg was a STEAL. No prospect is a guarantee, but Collberg is pretty close to a sure-fire NHLer in my books.

So at forward, you have three kids in Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Collberg who other teams would salivate to have in their system. These guys could be part of the core group of forwards for years.

Then you have Plekanec and Desharnais up the middle, still both relatively young and skilled players. A couple of Leblanc, Bournival, Pribyl, Vail are also decent bets to become 3rd liners I would think.

On the wings you have Pacioretty, who is fast becoming an elite power forward. After that is where we need a few of Kristo, Hudon and Bozon to step up, and possibly one of Quailer or Holland. Not a bad situation after you've already accounted for the top line in Gallagher and Collberg.

On D the cupboard is full, Gorges still young and future team captain. Subban and Beaulieu will provide the offensive thrust (although Beaulieu is obviously not proven at all), and then hopefully Ellis or Bennett make something of themselves. Tinordi and Thrower with the more muscle, stay at home.

If anything it's behind the pipes that we have little prospect depth, but there we have a bright side, one of the elite goalies in the NHL, and he'll be turning 26 in August.

So while we shouldn't be planning the parade any time soon, I'd say we're in pretty good shape. Sure you have other teams (e.g., Minnesota, Florida, Edmonton) that have much deeper prospect pools, but hey, is the expectation to have the very best prospect pool in the whole league? Is that necessary? No. As long as we are up there, that's fine.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

I no longer see people mocking the Habs for the Cammalleri/Bourque trade. Great move by the Habs regardless of how Bourque plays.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I no longer see people mocking the Habs for the Cammalleri/Bourque trade. Great move by the Habs regardless of how Bourque plays.
    I took a lot of mocking and criticism on this site when I defended this trade when it occured. At that time, I thought that it was a good trade for two reasons:

1-Cap space. More than $2M per season for a guy that had scored more goals than Cammalleri over the last three seasons. It was important even before the lockout, and it is overly important now that the cap will be reduced next season.

2-The 2nd round pick. We already knew when the trade occured that 2013 was going to be a deep draft. Piling on good draft picks was a great idea.

Administrator

I took a lot of mocking and criticism on this site when I defended this trade when it occured. At that time, I thought that it was a good trade for two reasons:

1-Cap space. More than $2M per season for a guy that had scored more goals than Cammalleri over the last three seasons. It was important even before the lockout, and it is overly important now that the cap will be reduced next season.

2-The 2nd round pick. We already knew when the trade occured that 2013 was going to be a deep draft. Piling on good draft picks was a great idea.
    3) Cammalleri sucks.

4) Cammalleri sucks.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Good game so far.

P.K. scored his first of the year, and there are a couple of things related to this goal that catched my eye:

1-P.K. back swing on his slapper. He kept it under the shoulders. Result: he hit the net (the puck deflected, but still). If he can learn to take a little bit of power off his shot in order to hit the target with regularity, his stats will be much better.

2-The reaction of Markov after the goal. He was the first guy to jump in P.K.'s arms, and he was looking really happy for him. Markov was one of the guy who looked bothered with Subban's return, so it is a good indicator that P.K. is doing waht he can to get along with his teamates.

Big third period coming...