Page 121 of 606 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 131 171 221 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Guru

Is it too much to pay Guy Carbonneau for a couple of weeks to teach these guys how to win a faceoff?

Plek's faceoff percentage on the season is 44.8%. Desharnas is 46.4%. Galchenyuk is 42.8%. These guys are 1-2-3 in faceoffs taken on the team.

Yes, we're only six games into the season, but we had the same issue last year (Pleks, DD, Eller and Gomez were all below 50%).

Not sure why, but the lack of faceoff success is one of those things that bother me a lot about this team. It drives me nuts.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    I think that Prust is the main reason why his line wasn't noticeable. Given the type of player that he is, there will be games like this one where his limited offensive skills will be more apparent, and I'm not only talking about the two amazing chances that he missed, where Anderson stole him. I'm refering to pure offensive instinct. He does not know what to do with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, and a lot of plays were broken because of poor passes, bad decisions and limited vision. The kids are right were they should be, but Prust does not always see them.

I'm not saying to get him out of this line, because he does a great job protecting the young guys, but if Gallagher and Galchenyuk had a talented winger tonight, they would have hit the scoresheet for sure.

And as you said, White had an awful outing. We all know his role, but he needs to be more disciplined, otherwise he will miss a game or two pretty soon. You can't go to the box that many times without paying the price sooner or later.
    Yeah Prust isn't an ideal scoring threat but does enough good things to earn his spot there. He is sort of like Chris Neil to Spezza over the years. He does not have great vision and his points come from grit and hard work. The issue is that Galchenyuk should be the one handling the puck looking for passes. Prust should just be driving to the net.

I think White could go to the press box soon. I'm really torn on his future. He does enough things that he could become another Prust or Dorsett with 10-20 points per year and a ton of PIM along with good PK minutes. But if he can't stay in control then all of that goes to waste. I think he is worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Is it too much to pay Guy Carbonneau for a couple of weeks to teach these guys how to win a faceoff?

Plek's faceoff percentage on the season is 44.8%. Desharnas is 46.4%. Galchenyuk is 42.8%. These guys are 1-2-3 in faceoffs taken on the team.

Yes, we're only six games into the season, but we had the same issue last year (Pleks, DD, Eller and Gomez were all below 50%).

Not sure why, but the lack of faceoff success is one of those things that bother me a lot about this team. It drives me nuts.
    Desharnais was over 50% last year. This year I think it's all linked to his slow start. I just don't think he arrived at camp in shape and will need some more time to get back in the groove. I see him making things happen but something is off and there are no numbers to show for it.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Desharnais was over 50% last year. This year I think it's all linked to his slow start. I just don't think he arrived at camp in shape and will need some more time to get back in the groove. I see him making things happen but something is off and there are no numbers to show for it.
    DD was at 49.4% last year (678 wins, 693 losses). But it's not just DD. All of the Habs top faceoff guys are like that.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Icon

Eric, I highly doubt it's that he didn't come to camp in "good shape". He played in the Swiss A league, had 16 pts in 16 games, and by all accounts played great. As a comparison, Joe Thornton had 36 in 33GP, Tavares 42 in 28 and Seguin 40 in 29.

I think there's something else, it's a mental thing, and I think losing Pacioretty is making it even worse. Could it be the psychological impact of the footsteps of Galchenyuk as future #1 Cman?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Eric, I highly doubt it's that he didn't come to camp in "good shape". He played in the Swiss A league, had 16 pts in 16 games, and by all accounts played great. As a comparison, Joe Thornton had 36 in 33GP, Tavares 42 in 28 and Seguin 40 in 29.

I think there's something else, it's a mental thing, and I think losing Pacioretty is making it even worse. Could it be the psychological impact of the footsteps of Galchenyuk as future #1 Cman?
    I was just speculating. I have my doubts about players and their conditioning during the lockout even if they played in Europe (ie not being micro-managed by their NHL team). Maybe it's more about Cole and Pacioretty being a bit out of it at the start and it snowballed from there.

For the record when I refer to poor shape I am comparing to the top-end. I know they always say that everyone comes to camp in great shape but I have a hard time believing that all players arrive looking like underwear models.

Administrator

DD was at 49.4% last year (678 wins, 693 losses). But it's not just DD. All of the Habs top faceoff guys are like that.
    Damn I was sure he was over 50. I know he was at 56 at one point. Must have fallen off the rails from there.

Dobber Sports Wizard

So what is the deal with Eller? From what I understand he was pretty good for the Habs last season, now he's watching games from the press box. Why is he not playing? Or even when he is playing, he's first in line to start sitting again.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    So what is the deal with Eller? From what I understand he was pretty good for the Habs last season, now he's watching games from the press box. Why is he not playing? Or even when he is playing, he's first in line to start sitting again.
    Something happened during training camp that made him the early goat. He is still a good player but he isn't playing like he cares enough and the team has options ready to pass him on the depth chart.

Dobber Sports Genius

I heard therein say intensity...
    He needs to pick it up.
    Personally I commented to a friend during the leafs brutal game that Ellen looks like the only good player showing up. Shrug.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Guru

Something happened during training camp that made him the early goat. He is still a good player but he isn't playing like he cares enough and the team has options ready to pass him on the depth chart.
    I think one of the problems is that he doesn't really have a niche like most of the other guys. He's not a tough guy, or a hard-hitting checker. He's not a great playmaker or a sniper. He's not a Selke-candidate defensive forward. He's not a PP spe******t. Etc. He does a lot of things well, but nothing great.

It's almost like he needs to find a role, and then Therrien can slot him in somewhere.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think one of the problems is that he doesn't really have a niche like most of the other guys. He's not a tough guy, or a hard-hitting checker. He's not a great playmaker or a sniper. He's not a Selke-candidate defensive forward. He's not a PP spe******t. Etc. He does a lot of things well, but nothing great.

It's almost like he needs to find a role, and then Therrien can slot him in somewhere.
    First and foremost, he is a center... But he has done nothing to prove to the new coaching staff that he can take a spot atbthat position on the first three lines. He clearly seems confused on the wing, but his future with the team in the short term is there.

I thought that he had his best moments with the Habs when they asked him to center the defensive line in the Playoffs in 2011 against Boston. He did great, before injuring his shoulder. I thought that it was going to be his niche for a while, 3rd line center who can contribute offensively. Now, he is looking or his role on this team.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Subban is practicing on the second wave of the PP today... he is paired with Bouillon, and they played wiht cole, Desharnais and Galchenyuk.

Edit: By all accounts, it seems that Subban will play Saturday. Looking for a source to confirm.

Diaz and Markov were on the first wave with Plekanec's line.

Pacioretty is practicing with his teamates... not on a line, but he is skating with them, without taking contacts. The doctors told him that it can't make it worse, and it is simply a matter of pain tolerance. This guy is a beast, and he played through fractured ribs before. I would not be surprised to see him in the lineup way before the 3-4 weeks initially announced.
    Last edited by habs83; February 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Welcome Back Eller and Desharnais

Really good to see Eller and Desharnais have solid games tonight, and Therrien rewarding both with some good PP TOI. And for Desharnais, with two nice goals, have to think this will be a nice little springboard, especially with MaxPac (amazingly) only day to day now.

If I were a betting man, I'd look to the Desharnais/Cole/MaxPac line to have a very solid few weeks once MaxPac comes back, a buy low on all three of them right now, especially Desharnais.

Interestingly, one of the PP units was Eller/Galchenyuk/Gallagher, a glimpse of the future! I think Eller, while he seems like the forgotten man right now, would be a very good 2nd line Cman complement to Galchenyuk as the superstar no 1 guy.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

i almost dropped desharnais for hodgson last night… phew. good to see he has life!
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Administrator

Default Sabres 1, Canadiens 6

'Player of the game: Alex Galchenyuk. I agree with him getting #1 star. Two assists and a ton of chances for more. Has he played a bad shift all season?

Goaltending: Carey Price 30/31. Excellent goaltending although not as busy as the shot count indicates. Great game with timely saves and his passing was an asset.

PK Subban returned and had a strong game. Nothing spectacular but he had a positive effect.

Brandon Prust is well worth the money so far.

David Desharnais and Lars Eller broke out of their slumps with great games. Desharnais had two goals and Eller had three points. Still waiting for Erik Cole to start producing.

Rafael Diaz had a rough game. I think he is nervous about Subban eventually stealing his opportunity. He was not the same player today.

The Bourque/Plekanec/Gionta line continues to shine. Bourque is especially making a difference with his size and speed.

Brendan Gallagher is making a huge difference along with Galchenyuk. He is fearless around the net and a good shooter too.

Max Pacioretty could be in tomorrow. I have doubts but he keeps returning sooner than expected. I started to think he was going to jump into the lineup for the third period.