Page 175 of 606 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 185 225 275 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    A few good articles here.

First an interesting article by Engels, focusing on the Eller/Desharnais question marks:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-...rnais/82/53086

Second, an excellent breakdown of why Desharnais' contract is NOT bad, despite the chorus to the contrary - and anyone interested should not stop after the article, read the massive commentary afterwards, enlightening:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...diens-habs-nhl

As for line speculation, the way I see it no matter what happens Eller is going to have a solid situation at even strength, among the linemate combos he could have:

- Gallagher/Galchenyuk
    - Bourque/Briere
    - Briere/Galchenyuk

Personally, I really like Gallagher on that first line with Desharnais and Pacioretty, I think they'll only get better the more they play together. I also like Plekanec with Bourque and Gionta. That would leave Eller to play with Briere/Galchenyuk, which is a nice combo as Briere can be a great mentor to the kids. Each of the lines would have some size (Pacioretty, Bourque, Eller) and each would be a threat to score at even strength.

Will be fun to see how it shapes up.
    He makes some good points but I still don't fully agree with the signing. I think one of the key things he says is:

Let's face it, Davey finished the season poorly, and it's not a stretch to say that he could have been had a little cheaper come the offseason
    I think that is spot on... I don't understand Bergevin's rush of needing to get guys signed during the season, what's wrong with being patient so as not to overpay? That said, it's not a terrible overpayment in either money or term so I'm not troubled by it too much, but it never hurts to save whatever cap you can when given the opportunity.

The part he neglects to talk about is the importance of having Erik Cole as his winger. Cole is one of those players who's simply not fun to play against, he busts his ass every shift, skates hard, hits everyone and does a lot of the dirty work in the corners. The impact this had for Desharnais cannot be understated...not only did it wear defenders down, it created space and time for Desharnais to work his smurf magic, he has a great shot and controls the puck well. The lesson the Habs should take from his career season + last season is that he needs to play on a line with some grit to it, he needs some size and toughness to help him reach his full potential. I had hoped that the Habs would address this in the offseason and maybe take a shot at a FA like Clarkson (but not for anywhere near what the Leafs paid) but instead they decided to double down on smurfs and signed ****ing Briere.

Dobber Sports Icon

Nice Dave Stubbs piece on Eller: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...943/story.html

Great news for Habs fans that he's 100% healthy and fitter than ever, and big too, now up to 220 lbs, will be unstoppable next year. I reiterate that we're looking at a Danish Jordan Staal in the making, both 220 and Staal an inch or two taller, and from what I saw of Eller's offensive skills last year he could be even better than Staal.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Nice Dave Stubbs piece on Eller: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...943/story.html

Great news for Habs fans that he's 100% healthy and fitter than ever, and big too, now up to 220 lbs, will be unstoppable next year. I reiterate that we're looking at a Danish Jordan Staal in the making, both 220 and Staal an inch or two taller, and from what I saw of Eller's offensive skills last year he could be even better than Staal.
    I know we bitch a lot about Gauthier but he deserves full credit for choosing Price and subsequently finding Eller in the Halak deal. He should have received more in trade but three years later Eller vs Halak is a pretty good deal.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I know we bitch a lot about Gauthier but he deserves full credit for choosing Price and subsequently finding Eller in the Halak deal. He should have received more in trade but three years later Eller vs Halak is a pretty good deal.

Agreed, I even thought at the time that Eller might be enough of a return, given his potential. Good to see that coming to pass. Loved how he played last year, it was such an obvious and major improvement in all facets and it's not often that it's as obvious as it was with him, especially on the confidence side of things, so much more confident with the puck.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Pro

Eller was a steal in the deal. We had absolutely no leverage in the deal since we HAD to move a goalie.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    Eller was a steal in the deal. We had absolutely no leverage in the deal since we HAD to move a goalie.

We probably would have received a better return from the Flyers at the time, regardless of our relative leverage issue, but my understanding is that Gauthier only reached out to the Blues.

Administrator

We probably would have received a better return from the Flyers at the time, regardless of our relative leverage issue, but my understanding is that Gauthier only reached out to the Blues.
    He also completed the deal very quickly. I living in Montreal on a work placement when it happened in June before the draft. People in the city were upset (not rioting). Many at the time were saying it was not enough in return and Gauthier did not do his due diligence by shopping around to either find a better deal or try to force the Blues to increase their offer (Ian Cole maybe?).

I remember when the deal happened it was not known that Halak was the one being shopped. A few GMs claimed they did not know he was on the block thinking that Price was the one about to be traded.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Many at the time were saying it was not enough in return and Gauthier did not do his due diligence by shopping around to either find a better deal or try to force the Blues to increase their offer (Ian Cole maybe?).
    I remember when the trade was happening and sources were saying that we were sending Halak to St. Louis my friends and I were really hoping for TJ Oshie or David Perron.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    I remember when the trade was happening and sources were saying that we were sending Halak to St. Louis my friends and I were really hoping for TJ Oshie or David Perron.
    Three years later I put Eller as close to Oshie in value and I certainly like him more than Perron. But the development time didn't help the Habs at a time when they really could have used an extra quality forward.

Administrator

If anyone puts stock into players getting married and that having an impact on their game, Josh Gorges already went through with it and Carey Price will soon. Just FYI.

Dobber Sports Pro

If anyone puts stock into players getting married and that having an impact on their game, Josh Gorges already went through with it and Carey Price will soon. Just FYI.
    Max P moved in with his lady too and had a breakout season!
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    Max P moved in with his lady too and had a breakout season!
    Do you mean on the ice or... nevermind.

Dobber Sports Veteran

For anyone who hasn't seen the 24CH series, the episodes were just posted on the Canadiens NHL.com site.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Padawan

Interesting read on Habs on the Prize, comparing Pacioretty and Bobby Ryan, using production and advanced stats. Pacioretty beats Ryan in practically every aspect.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...thout-the-hype

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    Interesting read on Habs on the Prize, comparing Pacioretty and Bobby Ryan, using production and advanced stats. Pacioretty beats Ryan in practically every aspect.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...thout-the-hype
    Looking at the last two years it's a no contest. Pacioretty kicked Ryan's ass on the score sheet too. I'm just not sure what point the author is trying to make.