Page 97 of 244 FirstFirst ... 47 87 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 107 147 197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3660

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Garrioch reported that the team offered Jared Cowen 8 years, $28 million. Not sure if they will take that but I would love that for sure.
    Really smart offer, IMO. Like you mentioned there's a lot of value for young players to get that guaranteed money before they really prove themselves. It's a strategy the Rays have used a lot, which has allowed them to be competitive despite having a payroll that is minuscule in contrast to their competitors. I have no issue with Ottawa making this offer because they are assuming some risk.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

I think they'll settle for 4 or 5 years but getting 8 years guaranteed is pretty big for a player who only has 90 games in the league so far with two major injuries. I think hell be really valuable of course but i cant see him having much leverage because of his injuries and similar deals like Hamonic.
    Not saying I blame them for trying, but injuries or not you gotta admit they are sorta pushing the limit with this offer. It's sorta like when you get another fantasy GM who can't understand why you won't give him Crosby for Richards+Kessler or something like that, you admire their balls but the offer is still borderline insulting.

Dobber Sports Initiate

The ramblings today provided a link to a sportsnet story (that was apparently broken by a freelancer much earlier) that claimed Melnyk has lost between 9-10 million per season. I'd like another lesson in the business aspect of the NHL: how does a team with a low cap, regular sell-outs and regular playoff success (during Melnyk's tenure) consistently lose that kind of dough every year?

For some the tempting argument is the high cost of labour, but that's a bit if a copout....it's management's job to make money, and there must be a lot generated by the Sens. Anyone understand why the Senators can't even break even ?
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    The ramblings today provided a link to a sportsnet story (that was apparently broken by a freelancer much earlier) that claimed Melnyk has lost between 9-10 million per season. I'd like another lesson in the business aspect of the NHL: how does a team with a low cap, regular sell-outs and regular playoff success (during Melnyk's tenure) consistently lose that kind of dough every year?

For some the tempting argument is the high cost of labour, but that's a bit if a copout....it's management's job to make money, and there must be a lot generated by the Sens. Anyone understand why the Senators can't even break even ?
    I'm not an expert here but they didn't have a low cap before the last couple of years and it's questionable if they had true sell-outs. They started to give away tickets like candy the last couple of years. And i stated this in another thread but they don't have the luxury of selling tickets and boxes to the biggest business in town, the feds.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post

It's mainly interest on debt. If Melnyk hadn't refinanced the team with lots of really bad debt, they wouldn't have lost so much money.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Not saying I blame them for trying, but injuries or not you gotta admit they are sorta pushing the limit with this offer. It's sorta like when you get another fantasy GM who can't understand why you won't give him Crosby for Richards+Kessler or something like that, you admire their balls but the offer is still borderline insulting.
    Combined with the timing o n all the press regarding losing money, and the Alfredsson press conference, its a tough sell, but all negotiations start somewhere.

Banned

Buddy getting some love from Kerry Fraser:

Checking for Charity was great. Jonny Gaudreau was very good. Ott Senator prospect Buddy Robinson demonstrated outstanding talent! Watch him
    I think Bryan Murray, Paul McLean & Sens have a good player in Lake Superior State ulum, Buddy Robinson. 6'5"" forward with speed & hands!

Dobber Sports Genius

Alfie practicing in a Senator's jersey?!?!? Ahh the madness. Why is this not getting more discussion here.

Get a jersey from your current team for heaven's sake. And don't tell me Detroit could not have given him one by now. Stickin' it to the Sens management I'd say.

Chris Kelly was on the ice too. But in Bruin's attire.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...173103769.html
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Alfie practicing in a Senator's jersey?!?!? Ahh the madness. Why is this not getting more discussion here.

Get a jersey from your current team for heaven's sake. And don't tell me Detroit could not have given him one by now. Stickin' it to the Sens management I'd say.

Chris Kelly was on the ice too. But in Bruin's attire.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...173103769.html
    So glad it's not a big deal. I've stayed away from all hockey sites for 2 weeks now and just waiting for the talk to get off Alfie, Melnyk and the Sens finances. It's all bullshit spun 18 different ways.

I believe Bryan Murray 100%, so wake me when Cowen signs, the prospect tourney starts and when Buddy Robinson opens your eyes.

Small rant over.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    So glad it's not a big deal. I've stayed away from all hockey sites for 2 weeks now and just waiting for the talk to get off Alfie, Melnyk and the Sens finances. It's all bullshit spun 18 different ways.

I believe Bryan Murray 100%, so wake me when Cowen signs, the prospect tourney starts and when Buddy Robinson opens your eyes.

Small rant over.
    i gotta agree with notch here, its getting to be way too much BS. Brian Murray is about the only guy i put ANY faith in right now with this mess. and Alfie at an un-sanctioned practice in a Sens jersey really means little if anything other than thats what was around..hell maybe he was invited by his former mates and they thought it would be a laugh to put him in it..whatever. move on now.

NEXT!!
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Banned

Remember to pray to Eugene before going to sleep. In Euge we trust.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Remember to pray to Eugene before going to sleep. In Euge we trust.
    Perhaps I haven't been paying enough attention to the news to fully appreciate the depth of the satirical commentary that is your new avatar and signature...

Seriously though, I think most of us a ready to put the Alfredsson thing to bed. Having said that, Alfredsson deserves respect for being true to his word and playing out the last year of a deal that only pays him one mil (I can't believe I actually said "only" one mil) when some players would have held out. Though I did not want to see Alfredsson make $6 or $7 million, it does seem to be true that he took discounts before and was made promises that were not kept. Seeing your team act with low integrity sucks, as does finding out that the team apparently can't make money (wtf?) and plans to operate by spending less than other teams.

I hope the whole affair doesn't turn players like Spezza off of this team. I would definitely have serious problems working for an organization that doesn't stay true to its word.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Banned

had a bunch of stuff written but I'm done talking about Melnyk.

Here is the NHL's 30 in 30 on Ottawa:

Senators eager to build on playoff success:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680455

Karlsson, Anderson two Senators questions:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680457

X-factor Spezza now leader of Senators:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680451

Ryan, young players alter Senators lineup:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680403

Trade didn't diminish Senators' prospects:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680493
    Last edited by Big Ev; August 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM.

Dobber Sports Genius

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680457

That article speaks to the never-ending question around these parts about the 2nd line RW. Smith is an interesting option as his game is more suited to the wing in my opinion. Conacher is still my vote if Stone doesn't make the team though.

Also talks about Wiercioch and how he is ready to prove himself and at the same time laugh in the face of the projections of the experts. He is so underrated by everyone. Draft him and enjoy.

Dobber Sports Genius

So far so good. No talk about anything other than the Sens on ice product in 2013-14...