Page 41 of 244 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 91 141 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Messier Scowl View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if the lockout negatively affects the chemistry and momentum the Sens had after their playoff showing. I sure hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a step back and miss the playoffs. Especially considering the state of the team's D...
    I don't think there is any question that the Sens took not just one or two, but three steps forward last season. It is also very realistic to expect one step back in this shortened schedule.

The Sens have so many question marks this season, I really have no expectations. I have no guesses either because the season could go so many ways and after it is over, my hindsight thoughts would be, "yeah, I should have seen that coming."

I like the fact that so many Sens (and potential Sens) played meaningful hockey during the lockout - 19 players in total and that will surely help in getting the jump on some teams that had a large majority of thier players not finding work elsewhere. Also, Ottawa will rely on the Bingo boys as keys to their season - at least 7 of them will see NHL this season IMO. But, let's look at all the legitimate question marks:

Michalek - Can he play as well as last year and stay healthy? He has stayed active during the lockout and that will surely help. No way could he have stayed healthy jumping into game action so quickly if he didn't play overseas. A lot of people think Michalek can't really get better than what they saw last season as it really was a best-case season for him.

Spezza - Another key player that played real games this lockout. As long as he does everything he did last season and stays healthy, I'm not worried. Actually, him and Karlsson are really the only two players I'm not worried about this season.

Latendresse - What isn't a question mark with him? Health, production, chemistry after only 10 days of practices and no game play with the Sens.

Silfverberg - Can he handle big minutes if that is the plan for him? He proved a lot in his short time in Bingo this season. The NHL is a different animal, but he saw playoff action last season, so nothing should surprise him.

Regin - Signed overseas for the lockout, but came back early on his own terms. The question will always be health, health, health?

Turris - Stayed active overseas and is Ottawa's #2 center without a doubt. The Sens need him to take a big step up this season and anything less might cost the Sens a playoff spot.

Alfredsson - is God. 40 years old, didn't play games during the lockout. He's a beast but will jumping into game action lead to an injury? He should not be playing the PK anymore, even though I think the Sens will need help in that area. I expect him to get some games off this season and watch from the pressbox - this will be Alfie's call to make. Look for a Bingo boy to be called up in his absence if roster limits permit.

Smith - Perfect 3rd line center, played some games overseas as well. Chemistry shouldn't be an issue with his linemates/teammates from last season. Nothing worries me with Smith either, but just want to see him continue his progression. He might take on too big of an agitator/fighter role with the loss of some toughness in the offseason - penalities may ensue (see Borowiecki in the AHL this year).

Neil - Didn't play games, but no one should ever question him, so I won't be the first.

Greening - Also stayed active by playing in Denmark. Where will he lineup? It could be on any of the 4 lines and would be nice if he could pot 3 more goals than last season and hit the 20 mark. Will be tough if Latendresse beats him out on the top 2 lines.

O'Brien - Will need to get up to speed in a hurry as I think he will be asked to play a much bigger role on the PK. He didn't play anywhere during the lockout.

Condra and Daugavins - played overseas and are huge PK killers that will be leaned on in that aspect. Condra needs to get the monkey off his back early. He struggled all year around the net in some prime scoring opportunities last season.

As for the thin defence:

Methot - Stayed around Ottawa during the lockout. Will he be able to keep up to Karlsson and log the minutes that will be asked of him? Huge question mark. High hopes.

Karlsson - enough said.

Phillips - Top 4 is not a good spot for him anymore. Stayed home during the lockout. This defence is going to be a mess I think.

Gonchar - Played overseas, played well there and played great last season. Last year of his contract, we need him to play the same way.

Wiercioch - His game is better suited to the NHL, but will be a trial by fire. Played great for Bingo this season.

Benoit - Don't even know if he will be the #6 guy, but he is my choice. Questions abound.

Lundin - When he comes back from his broken finger, he slides right into the #6 spot. Looking forward to watching him. Who knows?

Goalies:

Anderson will be rusty. He is streaky to begin with, but with this shortened season, the leash will be short before Bishop takes over.

Bishop - Great AHL numbers after a slower start. Will get 30%-40% of the starts until Anderson gets in game shape.

The biggest loss this season, other than Cowen of course, if Filip Kuba. Those 2 names were the Sens PK monsters. Look for that to struggle. Phillips needs to step up and he will asked to no question.

The whole defence is worrisome. I really can see a sign/trade coming for any number of solid veteran Dmen.

I haven't mentioned Borowiecki yet because I think he is trying to fill a role in Bingo that is making him take a lot of stupid penalties at the worst times. He is still a very viable option in Ottawa. Same with Gryba. If you can play D, you are an option.

In Coach Paul MacLean we trust. You too Bryan Murray, go trade for Hjalmarsson, Sutton, Ballard, Erskine or all we really need back is BRIAN LEE!!! Easier route is just use your cap room and sign one of Huskins or Colin White. Please stay away from Eaton or Jurcina.

I expect an 8th place finish in the East, either that or Seth Jones to fix our D. This team will go as far as its offence takes it this season, really no different than last.
    Last edited by notch4077; January 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM. Reason: Spelling is horrendous.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Not sure why the D is a big issue? Pretty much the same as last year just without Cowen (big loss), but Methot provides what he brings and is more experienced. It's only the bottom pair that will be pretty weak. Wiercioch is legit right now. One of the better AHL d-men this year. The team will live and die by offense again.
    You answered your own question. Check your bolded print.

The D is a big issue because Cowen and Kuba are gone. Replaced by Methot (who I think will do fine), but you are going to see the Sens get worn down in their end.

I just said the same thing about our offence though. It's our lifeline once again.

Looking forward to it.

Dobber Sports Genius

Assistant GM Time Murray was also just on Team1200 radio and this is a quick rundown of what he said:

- Huge advantage coming out of the gate this season because so many of the Sens stayed active this lockout (overseas and AHL). As many as 17 of the 23-man roster should already be game shape or close.

- Cody Ceci will get an invite to camp - if nothing more than to reset his season. The 67's have had a rough ride in the OHL this year and Ceci was just traded to Owen Sound. This invite to camp will recharge him and get him excited for a Memorial Cup push with Owen Sound. They couldn't think of any negatives that inviting him to camp could bring.

- Stefan Noesen will be invited to camp as well. He is suspended for 10 games right now and missed the WJHC because of it. This gives him a chance to play hockey while he is suspended. Plymouth Whalers are very happy he is getting an invite because when his suspension is over, he will come back into their lineup ready to go and with NHL camp experience to draw from.

- Mika Zibanejad may play this weekend in Bingo. They were extra cautious with him and held him out longer than Mika wanted becasue they were doing so well in the AHL. Good things come from winning, letting ZBad rest was one of those things.

- My estimated 5/6 pairing for Ottawa this year was Wiercioch and Benoit. That seems be a pretty good guess as Tim Murray spoke about them as well. 3 or 4 Bingo Dmen will be invited, Borowiecki and maybe one more.

- Didn't rule out possibility of a trade to bring in help for Ottawa's D, but at some point you need to give someone in your organization a chance to prove his worth.

- 26 or 27 will be invited to camp. 15 forwards, 8 or 9 D and 3 goalies.

- All 3 goalies have 100% confidence from the organization. He wouldn't care if Coach Paul MacLean said he thinks Lehner should stay in the NHL. If that is what the coach says, they will probably have to make it happen. One-way (Bishop) versus two-way contracts (Lehner) will factor in only slightly. I have to laugh at the one.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Do you guys see a big breakout for Turris? I also read somewhere that he may have put on a fair amount of muscle.

What do you guys think he can do this year. I am considering making a move for him.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Do you guys see a big breakout for Turris? I also read somewhere that he may have put on a fair amount of muscle.

What do you guys think he can do this year. I am considering making a move for him.
    I'm expecting his best year yet. Obviously it's different with the shortened season so it is hard really gauge things and put it into perspective with a full 82 game season. 12 goals, 20 asssists - 32 pioints. We know Alfredsson will be on his right, but the key to his line will be who is on his left? Will it be Latendresse and will he be that net presense that that line could use? Will Silfverberg get dropped to that line? Both those players have question marks to their game as well.

He has worked hard this offseason for sure. I've read anywhere from putting on 15-18 pounds. I think it will help him, Turris is a puck possession type player and this extra weight should help. I haven't seen pics of him or anything but he trained with his good friend, Bingo Player and soon-to-be current Sens Patrick Wiercioch - who put on the same amount of weight as Turris - and Wiercioch has been a beast. With that, I assume the weight was put on properly and will be quality muscle with functional ability.
    Last edited by notch4077; January 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I just dropped Zibanejad for Damien Brunner. It hurt, but I read that he wasn't invited to camp and his chances of making the team full-time this season are slim.

I couldn't see keeping Z over my other young keepers (Tarasenko, Schenn, Granlund), and I figured Brunner has a better shot at making an impact this year.

So...Sens experts....was that a bad move? Will Z make the team and have an impact this year?
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Veteran

I chose Brunner and Kreider over Z last night in our draft as well.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Genius

Good move.

Zibanenad may see some action in the NHL this season, but not early on. He has been out for quite a bit with concussion issues this season. He is just coming back into the AHL lineup now.

He won't make any significant impact for 3-5 years anyway. Don't 2nd guess your decision.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    I just dropped Zibanejad for Damien Brunner. It hurt, but I read that he wasn't invited to camp and his chances of making the team full-time this season are slim.

I couldn't see keeping Z over my other young keepers (Tarasenko, Schenn, Granlund), and I figured Brunner has a better shot at making an impact this year.

So...Sens experts....was that a bad move? Will Z make the team and have an impact this year?
    I wouldn't say I'm a Sens expert, but I think that's a safe move. Z might make the team in some capacity this year, but I don't expect he'll have much impact.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post

I think you might regret it in a few years, but hell, with those other prospects you're set and fantasy hockey needs to be fun too, so **** it
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I think you might regret it in a few years, but hell, with those other prospects you're set and fantasy hockey needs to be fun too, so **** it
    I agree in a few years I can't wait to see what Zibanejad can morph into, but Achilles was more concerned with this year, so I tried to get him my opinion on this season.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Notch, I sure hope Z arrives well ahead of your 3-5 year estimate. Alfredsson needs his ring this year!
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Genius

ZBad will arrive before than, but the impact will come in 3-5 years.

And the Cup for Alfredsson this year is why Silfverberg is here. You're silly, how did you not know this already?!?!

Dobber Sports Genius

Zibanejad played in Bingo tonight for the 1st time since November 24th. He looked good. Put a lot of pucks on net, was engaged in the play, didn't shy away from confrontations and played in the high traffic areas. He wasn't great, but I wasn't expecting as much as I saw after being out for so long with a concussion.

Dobber Sports Monster

For what it's worth..

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch

A trained eye says Kyle Turris has been impressive through the first 2 days. #Sens