Page 37 of 244 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 47 87 137 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Banned

Carkner's game may be replaced by Ben Blood in a few years. Either him or Eric Gryba, although I don't think Gryba will be an NHLer. Konopka's game might be replaced by Darren Kramer but that's a long ways away, but a better bet is Stefan Noesen who has a good amount of sandpaper.

Anaheim and Boston won cups with toughness, yes, but not with goons or huge fighters (other than Parros who did nothing). All their guys who were tough could actually play and chip in at both ends. Shawn Thornton is a perfect example, a guy similar to Neil. Lucic is tough but he can play. Chara is tough, but he can play.

The losses of Carkner and Konopka have been overblown here in Ottawa. The two did not even play full seasons, and Carkner fought like twice the whole year. They have Chris Neil, Zack Smith, Marc Methot, Jared Cowen, etc. who will provide the sandpaper. They may add somebody else through trade, but I am confident it won't be a pure goon type of guy as those players are pretty much useless nowadays. Somebody in the mould of a Ryane Clowe or Matt Martin would be a good fit.

Lehner will be Binghamton's #1 next year. He's a young goalie and he knows he will develop in the minors as long as they ask him. He has a good head on his shoulders now. No question Bishop will be the odd man out sooner or later.

and Semin would be fine but definitely not at the cost and term he's probably looking for.

as for the Konopka nightlife comment, I have no clue about him personally but you can tell by looking at him and listening/watching him speak that he is a boozer. And the part about the boss not getting involved in personal lives is false, as players can breach their contracts depending on what they do outside of hockey. Hence why guys get put into rehab programs like McGrattan and Tootoo. We already had a drug problem here in Ottawa with McGrattan, Emery, Heatley, Redden etc. so it can be a big deal if a guy is a big partier or whatnot. Not a great role model for the younger players is what it boils down to. But again, I don't have any inside info on Konopka or anything like that. All I know is the team never offered him a contract.
    Last edited by Big Ev; July 16, 2012 at 4:24 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Hmmm.....I wonder what the "nightlife activities" could be. It had better be pretty bad, otherwise I think you should recognize these players are grown ups. As long as they show up and do their job, the boss doesn't need to be getting involved in their personal lives.
    I would agree to an extent. If Konopka's partying ways was thought to have had a negative impact on the very young Senators, than I think there is a case for, as I said earlier, not even offering Konopka a contract. If you partied in Ottawa and even had the slightest idea where to go, Konopka wasn't that hard to find.

I was not too happy that they led Konopka walk, and to be honest I assumed they must have someone from Binghamton ready to come up and take over that role. In the interests of full disclosure, I will admit that I am one of those hockey fans who believe the fighting has no legitimate place in the sport. However, until it is banned and the officials take over the role of protecting players, sandpaper in the lineup is important.
    Konopka's loss will be felt more in the face-off dot than anything. I know I am repeating myself, but it has to be said. The majority of Konopka's fights were not of the spontaneous variety. Some came at good times, some bad, but very rarely were they a result of a Konopka forecheck (something he is very good at). His fights were frowned upon by most Sens fans. As far as someone coming up from Bingo to replace Konopka's role? I'm not really sure Konopka had a role other than face-offs and to take the pressure of some of the young guys by keeping things loosy-goosy. Smith, O'Brien and maybe Winchester (UFA) need to get better at face-offs to shelter Spezza.

the reality that what Carkner did to Boyle was thuggery, it changed the series for the Senators. And, you know what.....Boyle got what he deserved. He picked on a much smaller Erik Karlsson, punching him (albeit lightly) in the face numerous times. If Carkner hadn't been inserted into the game, it would have been a different series.
    Agreed 100%

I remember 2007....there's even more proof of the need for sandpaper. We all know that the officiating in the playoffs is waaaaaaaayyyy more lenient in the playoffs than it is in the regular season. With lax rule enforcment, tough, edgy and bullying teams seem to win. Anaheim beat Ottawa in 2007 because they physically beat them down. Boston did the same thing to Vancouver in 2011.

I love the addition of Latendresse. I hate that Carkner left, though I certainly can't blame either him or Murray for that. Konopka though.....now we need some sandpaper, along with someone who can be counted on to win key face-offs. Chris Neil can't do it on his own.
    The Sens lost some physicality (hate that word) this off season for sure in Foligno, Konopka and Carkner. Our Top 6 (as I see it) is as soft as they come with Michalek and Alfredsson being the most physical. Out bottom 6 and half our D can stir wear teams down with the best of them. Neil, Smith, Greening, Latendresse and O'Brien all have that edge of sorts. Cowen, Methot and Phillips can lean on you and more.

Notch/Big Ev - Is there someone on the Baby Sens who could do this? Also....It seemed to me that Robin Lehner is ready for the show. Does he have a chance to back-up Anderson next season, or will they give him another year to develop? Any idea what kind of guy he is? I hope he doesn't get bitter and demand a trade....but seemingly at some point either he or Bishop will have to be traded.
    If you really want someone from Bingo just for that edge that Konopka had, Stefan Noesen is the closest thing to that. He is grit personified. The steal of the draft in 2011 IMO.

Lehner will be in Bingo all year is Anderson and Bishop are healthy. Lehenr is a driven competitor who wants to be the best. I have no way of knowing, but, no, he will not demand a trade this season. Something will happen with 3 NHL ready goalies on or before the 2013-14 season. That you can count on.

Lastly....is anyone else hoping the Sens land Alex Semin?
    Wouldn't hurt on a one or two-year deal. He wants more though.

Banned

Eric Gryba signed for two-years, two-way.

Jim O'Brien signs for two years, one-way. $637,500 cap hit.
    Last edited by Big Ev; July 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    Konopka's loss will be felt more in the face-off dot than anything. I know I am repeating myself, but it has to be said. The majority of Konopka's fights were not of the spontaneous variety. Some came at good times, some bad, but very rarely were they a result of a Konopka forecheck (something he is very good at). His fights were frowned upon by most Sens fans. As far as someone coming up from Bingo to replace Konopka's role? I'm not really sure Konopka had a role other than face-offs and to take the pressure of some of the young guys by keeping things loosy-goosy. Smith, O'Brien and maybe Winchester (UFA) need to get better at face-offs to shelter Spezza.
    With the new face-off rule in place (not allowed to use your hand), Konopka became expendable as that was his main tactic. I liked him, but it's not a big loss.
    24 GM – 3 Tier Salary Cap Roto Dynasty League + Roto Playoffs (Keep 32 of 35)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, HITS, BS, W, GAA, SV | 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G

C - Crosby, W.Nylander, Kempe, B.Howden, Wallmark, Z.Sanford, Newhook
    LW - Ovechkin, Vrana, S.Bennett, Lehkonen, Aston-Reese, T.Benson, S.Poulin
    RW - JT.Miller, Coleman, Gourde, Dzingel, Tippett, Volkov
    D - Klingberg, Chabot, Slavin, Matheson, Chychrun, Sanheim, D.Toews, E.Bouchard, Cholowski
    G - J.Gibson, DeSmith, Sparks, Luukkonen, Starrett

Banned

Current depth chart

Ottawa:

Silfverberg-Spezza-Michalek
    Latendresse-Turris-Alfredsson
    Regin-Smith-Neil
    Greening-OBrien-Condra
    Butler

Methot-Karlsson
    Cowen-Gonchar
    Phillips-Lundin
    Borowiecki

Anderson
    Bishop

Still to be signed: Daugavins (arbitration July 24th - team may walk)

-----------------------

Binghamton:

Hoffman**-Zibanejad**-Petersson
    Prince-Grant-Stone**
    Schneider-Cannone-Jessiman
    Kramer-Hamilton-Dziurzynski
    Extras*: Pageau, Culek, Cowick, Hamilton, Caporusso

Wiercioch**-Benoit**
    Eckford-Gryba**
    Blood-Wideman
    Claesson

Lehner
    Lawson

Still to be signed: Stephane Da Costa

*Some extras will play in ECHL Elmira, or in some cases may be sent back to Junior for overage year.

**Will compete for an NHL roster spot.
    Last edited by Big Ev; July 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

One of those Latendresses is Michalek, right?
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    One of those Latendresses is Michalek, right?
    no, Latendresse came on a 2 for 1

edited

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilc View Post
    With the new face-off rule in place (not allowed to use your hand), Konopka became expendable as that was his main tactic. I liked him, but it's not a big loss.
    Not a big loss, I agree. When is a 13th forward ever that big of one? But puck-possession may be an issue for Paul MacLean. As mentioned, a couple people will have to step up. When I heard about the face-off rule being change, the first person I thought of was Konopka, he loved using his gloves. Forgot about it since then, good point.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just an update for you Sens fans, Daugavins re-signed to a one-year deal

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch
    Kaspars Daugavins one year deal and one way worth 635,000 #Sens

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Just an update for you Sens fans, Daugavins re-signed to a one-year deal
    Typical Murray. He does not let his players go through the arbritration process. Never has. This was a foregone conclusion, but glad it is done.

Cue the quantity for quality/cap hit trade.

Rep coming for you b0ndon.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Seems like Bobby Butler may be bought out?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20019616.html

With 13 forwards on one-way contracts, the Senators have 48 hours to decide if they’re going to exercise their right to buy out a player — in this case it would be Butler — after settling with somebody who filed for arbitration.

Scheduled to make $1.2 million in 2012-13, Butler, 25, can be bought out at just one-third of his contract because of his age. The cap hit would be $200,000 over the next two years, but that’s much cheaper than him playing in the minors on a one-way deal.

Under the terms of the CBA — which doesn’t expire until Sept. 15 — the Senators have until Wednesday to decide if they want to buy out one player. Teams don’t use the tactic often, but it is available to GM Bryan Murray.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Seems like Bobby Butler may be bought out?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20019616.html
    Not gonna happen...in my opinion. I hate the tool that wrote this article, most Sens fans do. He has had a hate-on for Butler for quite some time now.

Sure, as it sits right now, the Sens have 13 forwards on one-ways. It is also very reasonable to assume that Silfverberg is assured a spot in the NHL, which brings the number of NHL ready/one-way forwards to 14. Zibanejad, Noesen and Stone and long-shots as well, but current numbers have them fighting a losing battle upstream.

The Sens routinely carry 23 contracts at the NHL level, so adding their current 7 D + 2 goalies to their 14 forwards (with Silfverberg) makes 23. Usually the Sens prefer the more common 13 forwards, 8 D and 2 goalie combination, but until the quantity for quality/cap hit trade happens, there is no need to buy-out Butler. I say this knowing that Butler did himself no favors within the organization by doing less-than-nothing last offseason by showing up to camp out-of-shape. Last season really set Butler back in managements eyes.

So yes, Butler was a free asset via the college signing route, but to simply buy him out, isn't very smart asset management. If you want him gone, use him as a throw-in for the trade I am talking about, he isn't that bad to the point where he has strictly negative value to other teams.

This is all just my opinion, and after I hit send on this, I could go to Twitter and find out that he has indeed been placed on waivers (with the intention of being bought out), because that is an avenue that is at the Sens disposal, I just don't think it will happen. I see/hope/want/wish a quantity for quality/cap hit trade happening.

The Sens are still below the cap floor by just under $3 million with 21 contracts. Give Silfverberg the 22nd and you have one contract to go and $2 million to get there. Previous ties to one of Winchester or Gilroy will not make up the cap floor gap. A trade is coming (or Semin) - the Sens aren't trying to shed salary - they are trying to add a bit. Plus Bingo (AHL team) has way too many forwards right now. Something has to give.

RFA Da Costa is probably going to get a two-way with an above average AHL salary.
    Last edited by notch4077; July 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Also, absolutely love hearing that Alfredsson is working out like a maniac in Sweden.

Current NHLers based in Gothenburg, as well as Frölunda players that he is working out with, are saying that there is no way someone with the intention of retiring would push themselves as hard as Alfie is.

We need you Alfie.
    Last edited by notch4077; July 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM.

Banned

Da Costa signs for 1 year, two-way. $800,000/$80,000

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bobby Butler has been placed on waivers.