Page 36 of 244 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 86 136 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Then if he's pondering retirement now, why would you assume that he's game for playing in 13/14?
    I don't think he is going to play in 2013-14, but I think he will get more than his $1,000,000 this season.

Here is my crazy guess, at least it was when this conversation started 2 days ago. I think Alfie will sign a one-year, $3-4 million extension for the 2013-14 season with a signing bonus (around 2-3 million) to be paid out in full on July 1, 2013. He will then collect his signing bonus on that date, and soon after, retire. The Sens will NOT be stuck with his contract extension on the cap in 2013-14 because one-year deals do not fall under the 35+ contract rule that most people refer too. That rule is only for multi-year deals.

Do I feel this way now, 2 days later? No. Haha, but it could happen.
    Last edited by notch4077; July 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    After prospect camp, it appears these forwards will fight it out for spot(s) on the roster this season:

Jakob Silfverberg (pretty much a lock)
    Mika Zibanejad (I think he could make it as a 3rd line winger but playing #1 minutes in Binghamton may be better)
    Mark Stone (same thing with Zibanejad, more minutes in Binghamton might be better)
    Mike Hoffman (former QMJHL MVP, played 1 game last year, is an amazing skater with a good, accurate shot)

On D, Mark Borowiecki is all but a lock to make the 7 man unit as he is ready and provides a level of physicality and nastiness that is currently lacking, outside of Mathot.

Right now Binghamton has 18 forwards or so competing for 12-13 spots, so there will likely be trades or moves made in the coming months.
    Do you have a early feeling for the odds of Zibanejad being on the NHL roster this year?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Do you have a early feeling for the odds of Zibanejad being on the NHL roster this year?
    I'd say it's 50/50 right now. He'll see games at some point, but not sure if he will start right away.

Dobber Sports Genius

With Carkner and Konopka signing deals elsewhere, that leaves Chris Neil as the sole tough guy with any sort of reputation in the league.

GM Bryan Murray knows that that can't stay that way all season. Murray stated Thursday he’ll soon have more help for Neil. Here are some of his quotes:

“There’s pressure (on Neil), no question,” said Murray. “We hope to help him. Now, we have to address that vacancy somehow, and we’ll try to do that.”

However, Murray doesn’t see anything on the list of remaining unrestricted free agents that tickles his fancy. So he’s turning to Plan B.

“I think that at some point here in the near future, I have to address it in another form, whether it be by trade or whatever,” said Murray. “But it’s probably a trade.”

Expect another tough guy soon to help the likes of Neil, Smith and Greening this season.

I'd love to have the right shot of Deryk Engelland, but that aint happening. Failing that and sticking with the right handed D, Brookbank. There is no room for another forward to come in and make a fair trade, but Dorsett is a favorite of mine. We'll see...
    Last edited by notch4077; July 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM.

Banned

Chris Neil is enough. Don't need another tough guy like Konopka and Carkner who can barely play the game as it is.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Chris Neil is enough. Don't need another tough guy like Konopka and Carkner who can barely play the game as it is.
    I loved how those two played in the playoffs. They might not add much in the regular season, but having them around in the coming season - especially after that series against the Rangers - would've been great for the younger players. Maybe they don't play often, but they seem to have been really good in the locker room.

Sure, their skills are replaceable, but they'll be missed.

Dobber Sports Genius

Konopka has proven more than enough to be recognized as an NHL player - his 2-year deal proves that. Doesn't matter that his role could just be as the 13th forward and 4th line duties; he is an asset in every way that defines him. Ottawa will miss him in the faceoff dot mostly - he took basically every faceoff in the defensive zone, leaving Spezza the prime offensive ones. I'm sure you watched the playoffs so I don't need to expand on that thought. Not too many Sens forecheck as hard as he does. Konopka is a pro and a good one at that. He talks a better game than he plays, but that counts too. He took the pressure of the kids at the right moments on and off the ice. Whatever, he is what he is and it is of my opinion that he will be missed more than Murray can see right now. You had better hope O'Brien or Smith (or maybe Winchester?) can step up in the faceoff dot, something they havent proven yet. Winch has, but he is a UFA right now. There is a reason that Konopka wasn't even given an offer and it probably comes down to his nightlife activities.

Carkner will be missed as well, but we weren't going to come anywhere near the Islanders offer. Another player that knows his 7th defenseman role perfectly.

You say they can barely play the game? I say they have more talent in their left foot than I do in my entire body and I dominate my beer league.

The Sens will add a player of Konopka and Carkner's ilk, but as Murray admitted, will have to give up a piece to get it - when they could have had it for nothing more than around the 925 that Konopka got in Minny. Carkner, well good for him for earning the 4.5 he got on the Isles. They both deserved their $$$.

The Sens are below the cap floor, so money needs to be spent somewhere. Two things are needed - a top 6 winger and some toughness (insert your own definition here).
    Last edited by notch4077; July 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Messier Scowl View Post
    I loved how those two played in the playoffs. They might not add much in the regular season, but having them around in the coming season - especially after that series against the Rangers - would've been great for the younger players. Maybe they don't play often, but they seem to have been really good in the locker room.

Sure, their skills are replaceable, but they'll be missed.
    I could have said this too, but instead I decided to type 35 minutes (many interruptions) worth of crap. Haha

Rep to you for making it short and sweet.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Given Murray's penchant for signing Russian veteran FAs to contracts (Kovalev/Gonchar), and the need for a top 6 winger, is there a chance Semin ends up with the Sens?

I am thinking Sens and Devils are dark horses in the Semin situation.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Lug Tread Lager View Post
    Given Murray's penchant for signing Russian veteran FAs to contracts (Kovalev/Gonchar), and the need for a top 6 winger, is there a chance Semin ends up with the Sens?

I am thinking Sens and Devils are dark horses in the Semin situation.
    How could you forget about Filatov? Haha

It is not only the need for a Top 6 winger the Sens need, it is also a matter of adding salary to get to the cap floor. As it sits right now the Sens roster sits at 19 players and are $4,264,167 away from the minimum with only a couple < $1,000,000 RFA's to sign, plus Silfverberg's $900,000. However it shakes out, the Sens also have way too many forwards for Bingo, so something is coming. Most likely a quantity for quality/cap hit trade; or the signing of this Semin player you speak of.

Dark horses? Maybe even front-runners...

Plus, since you don't have any rep yet, here you go.
    Last edited by notch4077; July 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

It has been talked about for awhile now, but the Baby Sens made it official and brought back a key vet from the Calder Cup winning team of 2 years ago and a huge piece that was missing last season.

Andre Beniot signed his one-year, two-way deal. Details here:

http://binghamtonsenators.com/news/?article_id=1383

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    I could have said this too, but instead I decided to type 35 minutes (many interruptions) worth of crap. Haha

Rep to you for making it short and sweet.
    Ha - I've scrapped my fair share of long-winded posts when someone else beat me to the "Submit Reply" button too!

Dobber Sports Genius

It has been talked about for awhile now, but the Baby Sens made it official and brought back a key vet from the Calder Cup winning team of 2 years ago and a huge piece that was missing last season.

Andre Beniot signed his one-year, two-way deal. Details here:

http://binghamtonsenators.com/news/?article_id=1383
    UPDATE:

This is what Tim Murray had to say about Beniot:
    "It’s great to have him back. He was a huge part of our organization two years ago, showing he can play at this level, at least short-term, and a huge part of the championship team in Binghamton, as far as on-ice, off-ice leadership, leading by example. To me (he was) probably the best player throughout the playoffs in the league. We want good people, and he is good people. He’s a leader at the AHL level, he’s a quiet, efficient veteran at the NHL level. He’s a pro’s pro. He knows what it takes to get ready for games, he knows what it takes to play at a high level in the AHL and a level that certainly does not hurt us at this level. I think he was a big part of some of our kids that have come up here and had some success from Binghamton. I think Andre should take pride in the fact he had a lot to do with that. We’ve had the conversation that I think our coaching staff and the organization has been very fair in the last three years on who gets games and who makes the team. Draft status and reputation don’t matter as much to us as the type of player and the type of person you are and your production. We know at the very least Andre is a top player at the AHL level. We certainly know he can play games up here, whether that’s on a short-term basis or a long-term basis, we’ll have to see with him. As I said to him, it’s always up to the player. But I expect he’ll come in at great shape, and I expect he’ll come in with the attitude he wants to win a job. We certainly know that he’s not automatically destined for Binghamton, that he’s going to come in here and, knowing him."

Dobber Sports Genius

Well, the questions surrounding who would back up Robin Lehner in the AHL have been answered. The Sens have finally added their 4th pro-caliber goalie to their system.

Nathan Lawson has signed a two-way deal with the Senators. Nice vet presence.

Dobber Sports Initiate

There is a reason that Konopka wasn't even given an offer and it probably comes down to his nightlife activities.

The Sens will add a player of Konopka and Carkner's ilk, but as Murray admitted, will have to give up a piece to get it - when they could have had it for nothing more than around the 925 that Konopka got in Minny. Carkner, well good for him for earning the 4.5 he got on the Isles. They both deserved their $$$.

The Sens are below the cap floor, so money needs to be spent somewhere. Two things are needed - a top 6 winger and some toughness (insert your own definition here).
    Hmmm.....I wonder what the "nightlife activities" could be. It had better be pretty bad, otherwise I think you should recognize these players are grown ups. As long as they show up and do their job, the boss doesn't need to be getting involved in their personal lives.

I was not too happy that they led Konopka walk, and to be honest I assumed they must have someone from Binghamton ready to come up and take over that role. In the interests of full disclosure, I will admit that I am one of those hockey fans who believe the fighting has no legitimate place in the sport. However, until it is banned and the officials take over the role of protecting players, sandpaper in the lineup is important.

Despite the reality that what Carkner did to Boyle was thuggery, it changed the series for the Senators. And, you know what.....Boyle got what he deserved. He picked on a much smaller Erik Karlsson, punching him (albeit lightly) in the face numerous times. If Carkner hadn't been inserted into the game, it would have been a different series.

I remember 2007....there's even more proof of the need for sandpaper. We all know that the officiating in the playoffs is waaaaaaaayyyy more lenient in the playoffs than it is in the regular season. With lax rule enforcment, tough, edgy and bullying teams seem to win. Anaheim beat Ottawa in 2007 because they physically beat them down. Boston did the same thing to Vancouver in 2011.

I love the addition of Latendresse. I hate that Carkner left, though I certainly can't blame either him or Murray for that. Konopka though.....now we need some sandpaper, along with someone who can be counted on to win key face-offs. Chris Neil can't do it on his own.

Notch/Big Ev - Is there someone on the Baby Sens who could do this? Also....It seemed to me that Robin Lehner is ready for the show. Does he have a chance to back-up Anderson next season, or will they give him another year to develop? Any idea what kind of guy he is? I hope he doesn't get bitter and demand a trade....but seemingly at some point either he or Bishop will have to be traded.

Lastly....is anyone else hoping the Sens land Alex Semin?
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov