Page 29 of 244 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Initiate

It has been a fantastic year so far, hopefully Anderson catches fire and the Senators can be the cinderella team in the playoffs.

Hiring McLean certainly appears to have been exactly what this team needed. We shouldn't be too surprised, because hiring someone who worked with Ken Holland is almost always a good move.

Can any of you provide good links on Zibanejad? I'm curious to hear some thoughts on where he'll fit in next year now that the Sens have Turris. Will Z be a winger?

Also, does anyone know what Regin's status is? Will we see him back this year? Wil he fit into Ottawa's long term plans?
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Banned

I don't have any links but Zibanejad has played wing all year. He should be a right winger next season, as that is what Bryan Murray stated when they traded for Turris. Turris has that 2C locked in.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks Big Ev. I know you're pretty high on Z. I'm trying to pick my last keeper and it's currently between Brayden Schenn and Zibanejad. I asked for links so I could do my research before deciding.

If Z get's wing eligibility in yahoo, that will likely be the deciding factor.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

Banned

not too too high on his points upside for the next couple of seasons but he will shoot a lot and give you quite a few hits I would say. He is as shoot-first as they come. Should be a goal scorer in the NHL with his shot.

example: http://www.viasat.se/content/klipp-hockey?clip=269526
    Last edited by Big Ev; March 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    It has been a fantastic year so far, hopefully Anderson catches fire and the Senators can be the cinderella team in the playoffs.

Hiring McLean certainly appears to have been exactly what this team needed. We shouldn't be too surprised, because hiring someone who worked with Ken Holland is almost always a good move.

[1]Can any of you provide good links on Zibanejad? I'm curious to hear some thoughts on where he'll fit in next year now that the Sens have Turris. Will Z be a winger?

[2]Also, does anyone know what Regin's status is? Will we see him back this year? Wil he fit into Ottawa's long term plans?
    [1] Zibanejad has had a pretty inconsistent year all things considered. According to who I consider my Swedish Twitter authority on Sens prospects, SteffeG, ZBad has looked disinterested on a terrible Djurgarden team. You can almost compare Lehner's season in Bingo, to Zibanejad's in Sweden this season, in my opinion. A game or two of brilliance, followed by stretches of not giving a damn. Throw in a couple of emotional outbursts, lazy, immature and/or indifferent play and you have what basically is the life of a prospect that has already tasted certain levels of success at a higher level than where they are stuck this season.

As far as links go, just search Zibanejad and SteffeG on Twitter.

Next year for Zibanejad, the wing is where he will be playing, but I expect the majority of his games to be in the AHL or at least he will start there. Just so you know, Zibanejad is on his way to North America right now. I can't see him playing any Ottawa games, as that would activate the 1st year of his ELC. Expect him to finish the year in Bingo and then practice with the Sens during the (hopeful) expected playoff run.

[2]Regin is done with the Sens in my opinion and if he is moved to another team, he is one game away from being done in the NHL. His shoulders, frame or basically body, just can't handle the physicality of the NHL. He really needs to play a style of game, that would make him useless in order to have a career in the NHL and you can see the problem with. Either way, he is screwed.
    Last edited by notch4077; April 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    [1] Zibanejad has had a pretty inconsistent year all things considered. According to who I consider my Swedish Twitter authority on Sens prospects, SteffeG, ZBad has looked disinterested on a terrible Djurgarden team. You can almost compare Lehner's season in Bingo, to Zibanejad's in Sweden this season, in my opinion. A game or two of brilliance, followed by stretches of not giving a damn. Throw in a couple of emotional outbursts, lazy, immature and/or indifferent play and you have what basically is the life of a prospect that has already tasted certain levels of success at a higher level than where they are stuck this season.
    Like pretty much any 18 year old prospect playing in Sweden's top league. SteffeG is way too hard on him because he compares him to Silfverberg (who was nothing really as an 18 year old).

and no there is no "emotional outbursts" with Zibanejad.

Also people who criticize Lehner this year are out to lunch given his success in the NHL (i.e. the league that matters). I couldn't care less how he plays for Binghamton this year.

Dobber Sports Genius

All kidding aside, his #2 seeded Plymouth Whalers are down 2 games to none against the 7th seeded Guelph Storm right now in the 1st round of the OHL playoffs. The Whalers need to win Game 3 at home tomorrow night or face going down 3-0 and risk and early exit to what was a promising year for Noesen and Plymouth in the OHL.
    Just to update my previous post on Noesen, not only have his Whalers indeed, come all the way back against Guelph by winning 3 in a row to grab the 3-2 lead in the West quarter finals, Noesen is leading the charge. He has 11 points in Plymouth's three wins, had 5 points in the 1st period of the 5th game and is 2nd in playoff scoring, 1st in goals.

Getting upset in the 1st round would be considered a disaster for Noesen and the Whalers so hopefully they can close out the series tonight in Guelph.

I don't think anyone can even consider questioning the Sens drafting overall with Murray at the helm. Loving the abundance of prospects and I haven't even started talking about my love for peanut butter...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...peanut_butter/

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Like pretty much any 18 year old prospect playing in Sweden's top league. SteffeG is way too hard on him because he compares him to Silfverberg (who was nothing really as an 18 year old).

and no there is no "emotional outbursts" with Zibanejad.

Also people who criticize Lehner this year are out to lunch given his success in the NHL (i.e. the league that matters). I couldn't care less how he plays for Binghamton this year.
    He compares him to Silfverberg because others ask him too.

The emotional outbursts I spoke of where when combining Lehner and Zibanejad as a whole. ZBad hasn't had an outburst the magnitude of Lehner's, but he has pouted and given up on plays which is a sign of mental strength in a time when things aren't going his way.

Zibanejad, this season, does not have the same drive, will and passion that he had last season. That is from someone that watches almost every game; something I don't have the pleasure of doing and I would assume you can't either. Correct me if I am wrong there? I have only been able to catch 3 of his games through live streaming this season.

In saying that, ZBad is still one of my favorite prospects, Djurgarden was as big a mess this year as Bingo was. He is on his way to North America, presumably to play a couple games with Bingo and then be a part of Ottawa's Black Aces for playoffs.

Welcome back kid!

On Lehner, I guess Bryan Murray is out to lunch because Bishop wouldn't be here if Lehner was doing what was expected of him this season in Bingo. No doubt the Anderson injury was a huge factor in the Bishop trade, but Murray himself said Lehner needed competition to stay focused.
    Last edited by notch4077; April 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Playoffs clinched!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

No Alfie, no Spezza...no problem as the Sens win again this afternoon without their leaders in the lineup and clinch a playoff berth for the 12th time in the last 15 seasons (number could be off).

Obviously congratulations to Spezza (and Jennifer) as well on the birth of their 2nd daughter who was born at 6:15 this morning. Nicola Patricia Spezza (named after Nik Zoricic, deceased Canadian Skier and best friend of Spezza) is the new little sister to Sophia.
    Last edited by notch4077; April 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM.

Banned

He compares him to Silfverberg because others ask him too.

The emotional outbursts I spoke of where when combining Lehner and Zibanejad as a whole. ZBad hasn't had an outburst the magnitude of Lehner's, but he has pouted and given up on plays which is a sign of mental strength in a time when things aren't going his way.

Zibanejad, this season, does not have the same drive, will and passion that he had last season. That is from someone that watches almost every game; something I don't have the pleasure of doing and I would assume you can't either. Correct me if I am wrong there? I have only been able to catch 3 of his games through live streaming this season.

In saying that, ZBad is still one of my favorite prospects, Djurgarden was as big a mess this year as Bingo was. He is on his way to North America, presumably to play a couple games with Bingo and then be a part of Ottawa's Black Aces for playoffs.

Welcome back kid!

On Lehner, I guess Bryan Murray is out to lunch because Bishop wouldn't be here if Lehner was doing what was expected of him this season in Bingo. No doubt the Anderson injury was a huge factor in the Bishop trade, but Murray himself said Lehner needed competition to stay focused.
    Nope I don't agree with SteffeG. In the games I've seen (around 15 this season) he's often been their best player. This season he has had 3 different head coaches, has had inconsistent line mates, and has been shifted to wing where you won't look as responsible as you would a centre anyway. Last week I watched a game where he made many nice passes and hard shots, was hitting guys, and SteffeG thought he had a bad game. I don't think he realizes that you're not going to look amazing every single night as an 18 year old in the SEL unless your name is Forsberg, Backstrom etc. The fact is Zibanejad's production is right up there with every player not named Backstrom for his age group.

Put Zibanejad on Brynas and he would probably be a lot more motivated. When you're in an environment like Djurgarden after winning Gold in the WJC, you're not gonna get up for every shift IMO. Also the fans there put way too many expectations on him and other young players on that team. A lot of pressure for him to perform. Not making excuses, just saying. Now it's over though, and he will develop properly.

As for Lehner, they got Bishop because they wanted more goalie depth. Not because they didn't believe in Lehner. Lehner has outplayed Bishop this year in the NHL. His "maturity issues" are also overblown as well. Bishop is just a stopgap.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Nope I don't agree with SteffeG. In the games I've seen (around 15 this season) he's often been their best player. This season he has had 3 different head coaches, has had inconsistent line mates, and has been shifted to wing where you won't look as responsible as you would a centre anyway. Last week I watched a game where he made many nice passes and hard shots, was hitting guys, and SteffeG thought he had a bad game. I don't think he realizes that you're not going to look amazing every single night as an 18 year old in the SEL unless your name is Forsberg, Backstrom etc. The fact is Zibanejad's production is right up there with every player not named Backstrom for his age group.

Put Zibanejad on Brynas and he would probably be a lot more motivated. When you're in an environment like Djurgarden after winning Gold in the WJC, you're not gonna get up for every shift IMO. Also the fans there put way too many expectations on him and other young players on that team. A lot of pressure for him to perform. Not making excuses, just saying. Now it's over though, and he will develop properly.

As for Lehner, they got Bishop because they wanted more goalie depth. Not because they didn't believe in Lehner. Lehner has outplayed Bishop this year in the NHL. His "maturity issues" are also overblown as well. Bishop is just a stopgap.
    Djurgardens is a mess, that is well known and I've said that in every post of mine that you have quoted. All I am saying is Zibanejad's willingness to engage and effort levels have been questioned this season. I've made comparisons with Lehner and Zibanejad for good reason when it comes to reasons whey they may not feel the need the play with 100% passion this season, that doesn't change the fact/varying opinions that the effort levels are not there.

My reply to the original poster (Achilles) was to answer his questions and provide a bit of an update on this season and next. You and I both agreed, he would be playing wing next season; we both agree this has been a tough season for him; we both agree that he is indeed 18 years old.

I alluded to the prospect that Zibanejad will most likely see some time in the AHL next season, just so Achilles knew that nothing was for sure with ZBad making the Sens next year because that is definitely not a given and that question was asked.

Zibanejad is one of my favourite prospects and I have no doubts about his future in Ottawa/NHL. This season has not been all peaches and cream, 18 or not, that was my point.

Welcome back to North America Mika, see you in a couple days.

Changing topics: I am over-joyed that these young Ottawa Senators will be able to gain the experience of the NHL playoffs. They will be able to feel the different level of intensity and win or lose, swept or advance, this season has been a complete success for the development of the current group of Ottawa Senators.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for the info gents, I appreciate it. If Mika ends up a winger after-all, he may be worth keeping over Schenn.

BTW - Turris sure looked comfortable filling in for Spezza the other night. I sure hope that confidence grows.

All this success is almost making me feel bad for calling for Murray's head last season. If only he could stick to drafting and trading for players with 3 years experience or less, and leave the decisions about signing aging vets to someone else....

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Thanks for the info gents, I appreciate it. If Mika ends up a winger after-all, he may be worth keeping over Schenn.

BTW - Turris sure looked comfortable filling in for Spezza the other night. I sure hope that confidence grows.

All this success is almost making me feel bad for calling for Murray's head last season. If only he could stick to drafting and trading for players with 3 years experience or less, and leave the decisions about signing aging vets to someone else....
    No worries, glad to help a little.

Tough to be GM in Ottawa, Murray needs to overpay and offer longer term to win out over other teams/markets when it comes to signing free agents. Maybe that will change with an extended culture of winning and a long term deal to Karlsson (players will want to sign here if he continues doing what he is).

I'm not going to sit here and defend all Murray's moves, that would be fruitless (and baseless), but I will say, I'm glad he is our GM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Smile

I'm not going to sit here and defend all Murray's moves, that would be fruitless (and baseless), but I will say, I'm glad he is our GM.
    I agree because it's hard to argue with results. I still think some of his comments when he fired Clouston were classless, because Murray deserved a lot of the blame for the train-wreck that was Ottawa's fall from Cup finalist to basement dweller in 3 seasons. The Craig Anderson trade worked out beautifully for Murray, and the hiring of McLean worked out too.

The man can certainly draft, as many Ducks' fans can attest to. But some of the other moves....well, I'll leave it alone. I'm just so happy at what has happened this season. Spezza has been healthy and seems to be loving his leadership role. The team is full of young forwards that work extremely hard. During the President's trophy days when they'd dominate in the reg season (and get swept by Toronto's goalie) they'd win but would seem to get outworked quite often.

It's been a pleasure to watch them this season.

I hope they sign Karlsson long-term. They can go ahead and give him "Doughty money"...that's totally fine with me.

Dobber Sports Genius

Well said Achilles and I agree for the most part.
    Last edited by notch4077; April 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM.