Page 21 of 244 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I've been wondering the same. I'm looking at dropping someone, and was wondering if Alfie should be the guy. Is he relevant in a points only league anymore?
    Alfredsson has looked OK, but you can tell age is catching up. He still provides the leadership and provides a spark (goal, takeaway, etc.) at clutch moments. To be fair to him though, the PP has been struggling lately and he is playing with a third liner (Foligno) and a rookie 2C (Da Costa) who is out of his comfort level.

He's not going to have a huge year points wise so he would probably be a drop depending on who you're replacing him with.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    For me the most talented player of the bunch is Shane Prince, although Stone and Puempel are right up there. That doesn't mean that I'd rank him 1st over the others though. Prince is a very gifted playmaker, a good skater, very creative, can also score when he wants to as well. He didn't look too out of place in preseason for the Sens. He is a guy that is either Top 6 or not in the NHL at all though. You're correct, his only issues are his size and strength but he isn't terribly small. Around 5'11-ish. Said it before but he is one of the key factors in Tyler Toffoli's dominance of the league. Puzzling why he fell to 61st overall. If he ever does make it it will take time. Good news is that he will most likely play AHL next year.

Puempel is definitely the best goal scorer of the bunch. Great shot and his favourite thing to do in life is to score goals (his own words). Not an amazing skater but he has improved it a bit this season. Also creating more offence himself and carrying the team on some nights. He is an underrated playmaker. I definitely see him being a top scoring option on the Sens one day. Probably not a huge point getter though. Tough to tell right now.

Stone is still not an amazing skater, never will be, but he has improved that aspect of his game immensely. He has worked with world-renowned power skating coach Mark Power and it has payed off over the last year and a bit. Of course his size and strength plays a big factor in his ability to dominate the Dub. He is Brandon's captain and the best player in the WHL along with Emerson Etem. He has a chance to compete for a roster spot next season although probably not. I have no idea how to project him for the NHL. I think he is an NHL player though. He went from being a potential NHLer to a potential Top 6-9 player. He can hit, he can score, he can pass, he can drive the net, he can fight (not at all this year though), he can do it all basically. Skating is his only weakness, which is obviously important for the NHL.

Stefan Noesen is an all-around player who has been compared to such players as Dustin Brown and and Shane Doan. He is a leader and just a solid hard worker. Goes to the net and can finish in tight. Provides energy for the team. I think at WORST he will be a third liner in the ilk of a Nick Foligno (who is a similar player, was also a scorer and leader in the OHL). He is a Texan who moved to Michigan to play hockey, so you know he is determined.

As for the World Junior, Stone is a virtual lock, whereas Shane Prince and Stefan Noesen have very good chances to make Team USA. Prince probably has the upper hand over Noesen but I really don't know. I don't think either's stock would rise too much because they would probably play lesser roles on the team since USA already has big guns in Etem, Bjugstad, etc.

Even though a guy like Noesen or Prince may not have their stock rise at the WJC, their junior teams are two of the best in the OHL and certainly have a shot to go the Memorial Cup and compete on a national stage. That may see their stock rise.

It's probably unrealistic to suggest that 3 out of 4 of a team's draft picks from one year will make the NHL so it will be interesting to see how these 3 players (Puempel, Stone, Noesen) develop.

Hope the helps (and hope I was objective lol).
    Awesome thanks man. I haven't got to watch a single junior game this year for some reason so I'm more out of the loop than usual, which admittedly is pretty far out to begin with . Anyways thanks for the info, great stuff I've got to keep my eye on these kids.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    Awesome thanks man. I haven't got to watch a single junior game this year for some reason so I'm more out of the loop than usual, which admittedly is pretty far out to begin with . Anyways thanks for the info, great stuff I've got to keep my eye on these kids.
    I own Puempel, Prince, and Noesen in the ASKL by the way

Dobber Sports Guru

I own Puempel, Prince, and Noesen in the ASKL by the way
    Lol I know cause I just checked after reading that.

Banned

Sens-Canes tonight @ 5:00 EST

Lines to start:

Filatov-Spezza-Greening
    Michalek-Foligno-Alfredsson
    Daugavins-Smith-Condra
    Winchester-Konopka-Butler

Kuba-Karlsson
    Cowen-Gonchar
    Phillips-Rundblad (not sure if these d pairings are correct)

Anderson

-Filatov called up, Da Costa sent down. Not sure why they are playing Filatov given he has played the last 3 days. 4th game in 4 nights for him

-Rundblad back in the line-up

Dobber Sports Padawan

Is anyone watching today's game? How does Filatov look?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
    Is anyone watching today's game? How does Filatov look?
    I was there live. He played very well, especially considering it was his 4th game in 4 nights. He was jumpin. No points but should stick on that "top" line.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I was there live. He played very well, especially considering it was his 4th game in 4 nights. He was jumpin. No points but should stick on that "top" line.
    Thx Evan.

I was a bit concerned when I read that he took a late penalty which Carolina scored on.
    20 team keeper: 20 players. no farm.
    Goals=2 pts---Assists=1 pt-----DG=3-----Wins=3.5-----SO=4

G: Sorokin
    D: Bouchard....Letang....Heiskanen....Perunovich....F ox....Zellweger....Toews

F: Eichel....Caufield.......J Robertson......W Nylander.......Kucherov....Lundell
    Eklund.....W Johnston.....Marchenko......Stankoven.......Peterk a.....Holtz

2012 Third Place
    2013 Runner Up
    2014 Iron League Champion
    2015 Iron League Champion
    2016 Runner-Up
    2017 Third Place

2018 4th
    2019 18th-rebuild

2020 10th
    2021 8th
    2022 7th

Banned

they said Filatov will go on the 2 game road trip starting Tuesday, and then they will know where he can play.

Dobber Sports Veteran

they said Filatov will go on the 2 game road trip starting Tuesday, and then they will know where he can play.
    I saw the Bryan Murray interview in the intermission. I thought the comment was ' he is here with us now until we decide where he will play. '

Sounded to me like this was his chance to make his mark. He played with Spezza and Greening all night. And he did look good. Was noticeable, played with some passion and worked hard. Over 15 mins of icetime.

Sens took 7 penalties or I think he would have had even more icetime.

( I could have been a homer watching the game, but I thought the officiating was poor. Canes seem to get away with a lot of little crap.)
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Banned

haven't updated this a lot. Sens won 2 in a row. Michalek 2 goals last game. Karlsson will finish with 80 assists on the year (lol). Zack Smith is a beast.

Banned

Sens lost 3-2 in OT to Washington.

Erik Karlsson with a goal and continues to be their best player. He shutdown Oveckin all night as well. He's improved immensely defensively. Comcast announcers were gushing over his play. If he picks up his goal scoring he is gonna earn a big deal come the end of the year.

Jason Spezza sucks. Hopefully he picks it up soon. Ditto Butler, have a seat int he press box son.

Milan Michalek was invisible but scored a goal. Good sign that what he is doing is not a fluke.

Daniel Alfredsson looks done lately but last night was more noticeable. Has points in 4 straight.

Craig Anderson played well again. Kept them in the game.

Chris Neilreturned to the lineup last night, and Matt Carkner is ready to return after Wednesday's game in Binghamton.

A ton of their upcoming games are at home so their offence should pick up again soon. Was a respectable stretch of road games for the team, going 1-1 in Buffalo and Toronto, going 2-1 in Western Canada, and 1-1-1 on the recent 3 game trip to Winnipeg, Dallas, and Washington. They won at home against Carolina in between the two trips .

Down on the farm, Stephane Da Costa has 4 assists in his first 3 AHL games and Andre Petersson has 9 points in his last 9 games. He would be one of the first call ups along with Mike Hoffman and Da Costa, if they were to need one, methinks.

Prospect-wise, Mika Zibanejad has 4 points in his last 5 games and is earning quality ice time in all situations. Also, it was never in doubt, but he was named to Sweden's roster for the WJC.

Shane Prince had 6 points in 3 games this weekend for the Ottawa 67's. Looking to make a case to be on the US roster for the WJC.

Matt Puempel had 2 goals and 1 assist in last night's game for the Petes. He is currently playing Oshawa as I write this, and the Petes are own 5-0 after the 1st.

Mark Stone continues to lead the CHL in points with 61. Brandon plays tonight as well.
    Last edited by Big Ev; December 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Just wanted to say thanks for all the updates.

Banned

Mika Zibanejad and Fredrik Claesson (2011 5th rounder) named to Sweden's World Junior squad.

Shane Prince named to the US World Junior camp. Stefan Noesen was not.

Banned

Sens lose 5-3 to Caps

Jason Spezza blows right now. I'd be patient with him though as he is a 2nd half player

Milan Michalek leads the league in goals (tied 3 ways) now with 17. He'll probably finish with 30+ if he keeps it up. I'm not too concerned with his injuries, as he has rehabbed his knee properly and is fully healthy. You can just tell by his acceleration and the extra jump in his stride.

David Rundblad - I will be very surprised if he isn't sent to Binghamton soon as Matt Carkner is returning from injury on Saturday.

Nick Foligno is playing his best hockey ever as the 2nd line centre. He would make a good pick up if he sticks on the second line, as he is putting up decent points, shots, and a lot of hits. Peter Regin will most likely take over 2C when he gets back, but Foligno will probably just shift to wing again.

Craig Anderson is playing really well, stopped about 39 shots tonight I believe. Can't fault him for much in this game.