Page 129 of 244 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 139 179 229 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 3655

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

Yeah the Oil Kings have been superb and Lazar has been a huge part of their success.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Am I missing something about not bringing Spezza back next season, he's still got one more year left on his contract!? They aren't trading that contract without eating some of it themselves and the owner won't like that. Honestly, I think that he'll be fine next season. It sounds like Hemsky would sign for a reasonable rate, although likely not long term, as he likes playing with Spezza. Obviously, Turris has surpassed Spezza on the depth chart, but with Spezza and Hemsky on the second line, when healthy they could provide a decent amount of offense. Who would replace Spezza's offense if they deal him? It's not like Ottawa attracts big name free agents and you aren't going to get a top six player straight up for the worn down Spezza and his big cap hit.

No, the Sens should play it out and see what happens next year. My gut feel is that he and the entire Sens team will be better next year. If they can't come to terms early in the season for a contract extension or the Sens simply want to part ways with Spezza, then they can deal him at the deadline to a team desperate for offensive help and recoup at least a draft pick.

I wonder if Zibanejad can take a step forward next year and if Lazar could possibly steal a spot at training camp, wouldn't that be something. I love Lazar's game and hope he can Mike Richard's his way into the NHL next year.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Am I missing something about not bringing Spezza back next season, he's still got one more year left on his contract!? They aren't trading that contract without eating some of it themselves and the owner won't like that.

If they can't come to terms early in the season for a contract extension or the Sens simply want to part ways with Spezza, then they can deal him at the deadline to a team desperate for offensive help and recoup at least a draft pick.
    Two things:

1) Spezza has a high cap hit, but actually pretty low salary (something like $4 or $5 million). So the Sens wouldn't need to eat any of the contract.

2) The problem with waiting until the deadline is if the Sens are fighting for a playoff spot. If they are in contention, they wouldn't be able to deal him if they want to be seen as still making a run.

If the Sens are going to trade him, the draft is the best opportunity. They can get a player and a first rounder.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Stud

Am I missing something about not bringing Spezza back next season, he's still got one more year left on his contract!? They aren't trading that contract without eating some of it themselves and the owner won't like that. Honestly, I think that he'll be fine next season. It sounds like Hemsky would sign for a reasonable rate, although likely not long term, as he likes playing with Spezza. Obviously, Turris has surpassed Spezza on the depth chart, but with Spezza and Hemsky on the second line, when healthy they could provide a decent amount of offense. Who would replace Spezza's offense if they deal him? It's not like Ottawa attracts big name free agents and you aren't going to get a top six player straight up for the worn down Spezza and his big cap hit.

No, the Sens should play it out and see what happens next year. My gut feel is that he and the entire Sens team will be better next year. If they can't come to terms early in the season for a contract extension or the Sens simply want to part ways with Spezza, then they can deal him at the deadline to a team desperate for offensive help and recoup at least a draft pick.

I wonder if Zibanejad can take a step forward next year and if Lazar could possibly steal a spot at training camp, wouldn't that be something. I love Lazar's game and hope he can Mike Richard's his way into the NHL next year.
    I have the same feeling about next season. I dunno what went wrong to be honest this year. I feel like they have all the pieces there, just didn't happen this year. Try again next year and if it still isn't fixed then maybe a shake up is needed.

I'm taking this season as growing pains for a younger team.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Yeah the Oil Kings have been superb and Lazar has been a huge part of their success.
    Are you living in Edmonton? Are you able to see more live games than the few I catch on various forms of TV/internet?

No. You are not missing anything The Comish - when have you ever missed anything? You are certainly right about him having another year on his contract, but there is an actual money paid vs cap hit discrepancy that could be looked at 1 of 2 ways. Spezza is being paid 4 mil, but has a cap hit of 7. That is either great for the Sens owner Melnyk as he "saves" 3 million that he doesn't need to spend towards the cap OR you can look at it like that contract is very tradable due to the same line of thinking for another teams "savings".

You said it yourself, Ottawa doesn't attract big name free agents, so that is one of the reasons why I think the Sens should get something for him via trade before the end of next season (preferably this draft), when in my opinion, Spezza walks.

I don't want our current 2nd line to be in Ottawa next season - that means none of Spezza, Hemsky and Michalek. That is also what I think is going to happens as well.

Agreed with your Zibanejad and Lazar opinions too. That is what I suspect happens with them next year. Lazar being the longer shot for next season of course, but I won't bet against the Oil Kings star.

I have no clue, I just think this offseason will see big changes and I'm just trying to be a regular fan that thinks they know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Two things:

1) Spezza has a high cap hit, but actually pretty low salary (something like $4 or $5 million). So the Sens wouldn't need to eat any of the contract.

2) The problem with waiting until the deadline is if the Sens are fighting for a playoff spot. If they are in contention, they wouldn't be able to deal him if they want to be seen as still making a run.

If the Sens are going to trade him, the draft is the best opportunity. They can get a player and a first rounder.
    That's exactly what I think as well and I don't know how long ago now I mentioned Cogliano and our 1st back from Anaheim or Spezza +++ for O'Reilly and hopefully Hejda. Rangers and St.Louis depending on their postseasons make trade partner sense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    I have the same feeling about next season. I dunno what went wrong to be honest this year. I feel like they have all the pieces there, just didn't happen this year. Try again next year and if it still isn't fixed then maybe a shake up is needed.

I'm taking this season as growing pains for a younger team.
    Spezza walks for nothing if next season fails with him on the team in my opinion. Do you want that to happen again to the Sens?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    Just a quick update on the Edmonton Oil Kings, but more specifically - Sens 1st rounder Curtis Lazar:

They are looking to go perfect with their 8th straight win in the playoffs tonight with Mr. Everything Curtis Lazar leading the way, once again.

LAST GAME: The Oil Kings killed off a full two-minute five-on-three for Brandon late in the third period and sandwiched it between a pair of five-on-three goals of their own as they scored four times in the third period to down Brandon 5-2 Tuesday night in Brandon, taking a 3-0 series lead, Curtis Lazar scored for the Oil Kings.

REGULAR SEASON LEADERS: Curtis Lazar - 41 Goals; Curtis Lazar - 9 GWG; Curtis Lazar – 3 SHA

PLAYOFF LEADERS: Curtis Lazar - 7 Assists; Curtis Lazar – 10 Points

INTO THE RECORD BOOKS: Having already set a new franchise record for playoff games this postseason, Curtis Lazar has tied Michael St. Croix for the modern Oil Kings lead in playoff goals with 21. Lazar is five points shy of St. Croix’s points record of 46.

Can't say enough good things about him and he brings so much of what the Sens need. I look forward to watching him progress some more.
    Jinx post.

The Oil Kings lost their first of their 8 games in the playoffs last night and Lazar had zero's across the board. Heard he was still hitting, agitating and creating though.

Dobber Sports Genius

Sens coach, Paul MacLean just had his press conference:

Here are some quotes (not word for word):

- Sens just didn't defend well enough.
    - You have to play well enough long enough. We didn't do that.
    - Played well with the puck but when we turned it over…rolls eyes.
    - Not good enough as head coach. Lot of blame to go around, lots can be on me. His job as head coach is to find solutions
    - In the third year as a Coach, I made a conscious decision to do some things differently, to grow as a coach. Says he felt he had to be more demanding from players this year.
    - Can and will learn from this season. Some things worked and some didn't. Things that didn't work may in the future with tweaks.
    - Keeping some guys around for fear of losing them to waivers. We didn't do a good enough of job in finding solutions.
    - We didn't play good enough, long enough.
    - The system that we play, we need to tweak it for sure. We need to focus on the defensive zone on the first day of training camp.
    - The goal next year will be to cut down on goals against by 50...and that puts us average.
    - Wants his team to concentrate on its play without the puck "from day one."
    - On Zibanejad: "Every test that he's had has come back in a positive fashion. We don't anticipate any further concerns with that."
    - On Spezza: "It's a learning experience for him and I believe he learned a lot. Difficult to replace Alfie."

Lehner's interview:
    - Thought he was done with hockey until the Sens drafted him and made him who he is today.

Hemsky's interview:
    - Wants to play with a good centre and wants to know what the Sens plans with Spezza are. I spoke to this a long time ago - both are gone in my opinion. Michalek too actually.

Methot:
    - MacLean great coach, all like him. Just a matter of buying into the system.
    - Moves will be made, hockey is a business.
    - Spoke French for a bit.

Turris:
    - Undisciplined and struggles in own end were keys to failure. Special teams can be better too.
    - MacLean great coach. A lot of confidence in him.
    - Going to Worlds.

Dobber Sports Stud

I like the direction this team is going. I think lots of speculation if going to be going around Spezza and Hemsky. I hope they both stay.

But I would like something to be shaken up on the defensive side. Maybe adding a good two-way player, or beef up the defence. Watching the goalies get peppered everything game was discouraging.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

Very interested to see Vincent Dunn in Bingo. He is on his way there right now. He plays a mean "suspension-worthy" game.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    I like the direction this team is going. I think lots of speculation if going to be going around Spezza and Hemsky. I hope they both stay.

But I would like something to be shaken up on the defensive side. Maybe adding a good two-way player, or beef up the defence. Watching the goalies get peppered everything game was discouraging.
    You are sort of advocating the deletion of Spezza in my opinion. His line was hemmed in all season. So many "lesser" players I would take in a trade for Spezza as long as they have that "two-way" play you are talking about. Addition by subtraction.

Spezza's days are done IMO. It's either him or MacLean.

Dobber Sports Icon

i am fairly certain we've sen the last of Spezza in a Sens jersey, as well as Hemsky and MM. Andy may well be on his way too.

with all that cap space we should be able to land a decent FA (if there is any that is). i would love to see a Chris Stewart type (just not CS) and a rock solid d-man to stay home and deliver punishing checks to grind teams down.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    i am fairly certain we've sen the last of Spezza in a Sens jersey, as well as Hemsky and MM. Andy may well be on his way too.

with all that cap space we should be able to land a decent FA (if there is any that is). i would love to see a Chris Stewart type (just not CS) and a rock solid d-man to stay home and deliver punishing checks to grind teams down.
    Interesting. I have a funny feeling that if the Sens dump Spezza, they will end up regretting it somehow (not sure how at this point in time, crystal ball is cloudy at the moment). Just about every team would love to have a Chris Stewart type of player and a rock solid D-man. Good luck finding either of these on the open market, there will be plenty of teams bidding for players of that ilk and from what I understand, Ottawa's illustrious owner isn't exactly awash in cash at the moment.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Banned

Interesting. I have a funny feeling that if the Sens dump Spezza, they will end up regretting it somehow (not sure how at this point in time, crystal ball is cloudy at the moment). Just about every team would love to have a Chris Stewart type of player and a rock solid D-man. Good luck finding either of these on the open market, there will be plenty of teams bidding for players of that ilk and from what I understand, Ottawa's illustrious owner isn't exactly awash in cash at the moment.
    They don't have to find a Chris Stewart on the open market, he's literally available and was almost in their grasp at the deadline. He could and will be had.

trading Spezza is a no brainer especially given his limited NTc

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    They don't have to find a Chris Stewart on the open market, he's literally available and was almost in their grasp at the deadline. He could and will be had.
    But that's my point, there will be several teams after Stewart. Are the Sens willing to overpay for him, the way the Leafs did with David Clarkson? No way the Sens have a good chance at him with the current owner signing the pay cheques.

Banned

But that's my point, there will be several teams after Stewart. Are the Sens willing to overpay for him, the way the Leafs did with David Clarkson? No way the Sens have a good chance at him with the current owner signing the pay cheques.
    He's not a free agent dude. He's on the Sabres. They were close to a deal and they're gonna make it this summer IMO.