Page 126 of 244 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 136 176 226 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 3655

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

Lots of Ottawa news today:

- Hemsky pretty says he will be back in Ottawa if Spezza is. Best centre he has ever played with and greatly influences where he signs in the off-season. To me, I read more into that. That comment tells me the Spezza rumours of being dealt are more serious that expected. Why the uncertainty around Spezza if he has one-year left on his deal?

Dobber Sports Stud

That is pretty interesting.. be curious to see how the team looks next season!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Master

Spezza will stay I think. I think he sees it as his team and the only way to cement that is by staying.

Speaking of cement, that's exactly what the Sens are skating in tonight. Sticky, wet cement. For OTT v CAR, I expected a quick skating game.. Or at least I used to. Slow game. Hemsky is just happy to be out of Edmonton lol.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Spezza will stay I think. I think he sees it as his team and the only way to cement that is by staying.

Speaking of cement, that's exactly what the Sens are skating in tonight. Sticky, wet cement. For OTT v CAR, I expected a quick skating game.. Or at least I used to. Slow game. Hemsky is just happy to be out of Edmonton lol.
    We will see. I think he is gone. Management already made up their mind in my opinion and a couple good games when the playoffs weren't within reach won't change anything. If these games do change Bryan Murray's opinion, than, well, he is just a fan. Haha. But who knows the original truth so...

Dobber Sports Genius

Great game by Anderson once again. Actually heard one guy say Anderson should have stopped that goal. Haha. Love people that have never played the position and maybe even the game.

Agentzero is right, I expected a faster game though. Against Ward who has struggled all year, they seemed to be afraid to shoot and over-passed. A meaningless win is a meaningless win though and I will take it.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    We will see. I think he is gone. Management already made up their mind in my opinion and a couple good games when the playoffs weren't within reach won't change anything. If these games do change Bryan Murray's opinion, than, well, he is just a fan. Haha. But who knows the original truth so...
    You might be right. I see them working some kind of hometown discount discussion a la Alfredsson. They either encourage him to stay long term but work out a savings for themselves or, if he really wants to skip town (I don't think he does), then he goes to sign for good money on a team that needs a C. Management may really like Turris, but Spezza is still their most dangerous scoring forward and even in a split role for minutes down the middle, he can put up points with the best of them. Turris is not an 80 pt player. He is a 65 pt C or so, at best. He's good and has young legs, but he doesn't have Spezza's skill set. My bet is on Spezza staying on a renegotiated deal. 65-35 he stays IMO.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Genius

You might be right. I see them working some kind of hometown discount discussion a la Alfredsson. They either encourage him to stay long term but work out a savings for themselves or, if he really wants to skip town (I don't think he does), then he goes to sign for good money on a team that needs a C. Management may really like Turris, but Spezza is still their most dangerous scoring forward and even in a split role for minutes down the middle, he can put up points with the best of them. Turris is not an 80 pt player. He is a 65 pt C or so, at best. He's good and has young legs, but he doesn't have Spezza's skill set. My bet is on Spezza staying on a renegotiated deal. 65-35 he stays IMO.
    Everything you say sounds completely plausible.

My only thing that I didn't really like in your post is the knocks on Turris. Not knocks per say, but by saying he isn't an 80 point player and referring that Spezza is, I take it as a slight to Turris. I don't care if Turris gets only 60 points - if he prevents 90 goals against us…which he does, that is what I want a team full of. Spezza could be a 100 point player, but you can sure bet that 150 are going the other way.

The Spezza we have seen the last month is a Spezza I can live with and I know the Sens brass would be happy to, I'm just not convinced that this isn't a mirage. This offseason, a decision has to be made on the captain. There is no other time. Sens can't let him walk for nothing in 2015, that's happened too much to Ottawa's talent. Now is the time and I will support whatever decision is made whether I agree with it or not. If the wrong decision is made (I don't know what that is), the Sens will be in big trouble for a long time.

Dobber Sports Master

Everything you say sounds completely plausible.

My only thing that I didn't really like in your post is the knocks on Turris. Not knocks per say, but by saying he isn't an 80 point player and referring that Spezza is, I take it as a slight to Turris. I don't care if Turris gets only 60 points - if he prevents 90 goals against us…which he does, that is what I want a team full of. Spezza could be a 100 point player, but you can sure bet that 150 are going the other way.

The Spezza we have seen the last month is a Spezza I can live with and I know the Sens brass would be happy to, I'm just not convinced that this isn't a mirage. This offseason, a decision has to be made on the captain. There is no other time. Sens can't let him walk for nothing in 2015, that's happened too much to Ottawa's talent. Now is the time and I will support whatever decision is made whether I agree with it or not. If the wrong decision is made (I don't know what that is), the Sens will be in big trouble for a long time.
    I can assure you it was no knock to Turris.

Sure Spezza is a minus 23 this year, but he's a career plus player and his body of work at large suggests he is a clearly a top offensive threat in the league. Turris has a high draft profile and while we can all agree he was rushed, we can perhaps all agree that he won't be amongst the top offensive producers in the NHL. This doesn't mean he can't convert into an extremely useful player, but I don't think he brings the same dimensions offensively that does Spezza, just as Spezza might not bring the same defensive dimension.

As you say, the Spezza you have had recently you can live with. I think Sens management can too. I think they can and want to live with both. You'll need both to win. Sakic had his Forsberg. Spezza has his Turris. I compare the duos only to mean that it is quite normal for a team to have a high-end more offensively dimensional Centre and one more defensively conscious, but it's pretty hard to find a team that has both top 2 centres excelling in both areas. It is possible but rare. I know Zibanejad can play C but I think he has a brighter future on the wing.

You might end up being right and management may end up wanting to move Spezza, but I don't think he wants to go and their naming him captain coupled with that, I think you have a recipe for a long term future. It's not like Luongo, Vanek, Ott, Parisé or any other situation where management stuck the "C" on someone because they wanted them to stay, when the players wanted to leave. This time, I think both want each other around.

Not convinced Spezza is a terrible captain. Maybe Phillips could have been a good choice as he certainly passes the eye test more as a captain. But people said that about Saku Koivu vs Shane Corson and look at what kind of leader that guy turned out to be. No one knows the future, certainly, however I get the feeling, more this year than in years past, that Spezza is sticking around.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Genius

I can assure you it was no knock to Turris.

Sure Spezza is a minus 23 this year, but he's a career plus player and his body of work at large suggests he is a clearly a top offensive threat in the league. Turris has a high draft profile and while we can all agree he was rushed, we can perhaps all agree that he won't be amongst the top offensive producers in the NHL. This doesn't mean he can't convert into an extremely useful player, but I don't think he brings the same dimensions offensively that does Spezza, just as Spezza might not bring the same defensive dimension.

As you say, the Spezza you have had recently you can live with. I think Sens management can too. I think they can and want to live with both. You'll need both to win. Sakic had his Forsberg. Spezza has his Turris. I compare the duos only to mean that it is quite normal for a team to have a high-end more offensively dimensional Centre and one more defensively conscious, but it's pretty hard to find a team that has both top 2 centres excelling in both areas. It is possible but rare. I know Zibanejad can play C but I think he has a brighter future on the wing.

You might end up being right and management may end up wanting to move Spezza, but I don't think he wants to go and their naming him captain coupled with that, I think you have a recipe for a long term future. It's not like Luongo, Vanek, Ott, Parisé or any other situation where management stuck the "C" on someone because they wanted them to stay, when the players wanted to leave. This time, I think both want each other around.

Not convinced Spezza is a terrible captain. Maybe Phillips could have been a good choice as he certainly passes the eye test more as a captain. But people said that about Saku Koivu vs Shane Corson and look at what kind of leader that guy turned out to be. No one knows the future, certainly, however I get the feeling, more this year than in years past, that Spezza is sticking around.
    Great post.

Spezza was the only choice they could make as captain. If you don't give him the C, who knows what would have happened this season results-wise and if not traded prior to his contract ending, he walks for nothing. I don't question the decision to name him captain. It's not easy following Alfie's reign and not easy being captain of a Canadian franchise. I don't envy Spezza there.

Prior to this success of Spezza this past month, I think you would have seen Spezza boo'd out of town during home games. Luckily that never happened due to Spezza's better than neutral play and that is why the vast array of opinions on what to do with him now. I think people are starting to warm up to keeping him, but, like I said, I think management may have already made up their mind. I don't think one month of better play should or could change their mind. That is what I expect out of fans flip-flopping to waste their day on the internet.

I'm probably wrong. And I'm also not saying I want Spezza moved, I just think he will be. If he isn't though, I expect Methot and Anderson will be. Chew on that one. Haha.

Dobber Sports Genius

Can we agree Michalek is not re-signed no matter what?

Can we agree Kassian is not re-signed?

Can we agree that Corvo is gone?

Can we agree that Hoffman, Gryba and Lehner all get qualifying offers and return?

Hemsky stays if Spezza does?

I think Da Costa gets a one-way deal.

AHL TALENT:
    - Schneider, Dziurzynski, Cowick, Sdao, Derek Grant, Wideman, Blood and even Hamilton and O'Brien all get offers.
    - Mullen, Eckford, Alex Grant walk.

Dobber Sports Genius

Sens have signed NCAA Ferris State, Senior, Assistant Captain and RW Garrett Thompson - 6'2" and 191lbs. He is 24 and is now signed to a one-year ELC.

He plays the game with, size, speed and skill and creates offence from himself in the process.

Thompson had a team-high 16 goals and added 16 assists in 42 games this season with the NCAA's Ferris State Bulldogs.

In four years with the Bulldogs, the 24-year-old native of Traverse City, Mich., recorded 87 points (42 goals, 45 assists) over 139 games.

To the Bingo Sens you go young man. Congratulations on being paid to play the game.

Good article and scouting report here:
    http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles/...on-to-elc.html

Acting career can be seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2hN...ature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KPKrOPzpuM

Interview here:
    http://upclosesportsinterviews.wordp...ompson-hockey/

Goal here:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/north/kfan-...aming?s=211073

Dobber Sports Genius

The Sens didn't waste anytime signing their 3rd rounder (#76 overall) from the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. WHL's Calgary Hitmen Goaltender Chris Driedger was signed to his 3-year ELC today, only days after his team was eliminated in the Eastern Conference quarter finals.

Driedger completed the regular season ranking 5th among WHL goaltenders in save percentage, tied for 7th in wins and ranking 8th in goals-against-average. Actual stats were 50GP, 28 Wins, 14 Losses, 7 OTL, 2.64 GAA, .918 SV% with 3 shutouts. He stunk in their 6 game playoff series against the underdog Kootenay Ice.

He has a future in my opinion and with goalie issues right now in Bingo, I wouldn't be surprised if he made some appearances this season to start his promising pro career.

Dobber Sports Stud

Can we agree Michalek is not re-signed no matter what?

Can we agree Kassian is not re-signed?

Can we agree that Corvo is gone?

Can we agree that Hoffman, Gryba and Lehner all get qualifying offers and return?

Hemsky stays if Spezza does?

I think Da Costa gets a one-way deal.

AHL TALENT:
    - Schneider, Dziurzynski, Cowick, Sdao, Derek Grant, Wideman, Blood and even Hamilton and O'Brien all get offers.
    - Mullen, Eckford, Alex Grant walk.

I dunno. Do you think the team need a tough guy in Kassian?

I just remember Karlsson getting picked on by Boyle in the playoffs, then Kassian making sure that wouldn't happen again.

I dunno, it seems like Hemsky stays if Spezza does, but if they bring another quality center for him to play with, may stay regardless?

Otherwise, I think we're in agreement.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post

I just remember Karlsson getting picked on by Boyle in the playoffs, then Kassian making sure that wouldn't happen again.
    Wasn't that Carkner?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post

I dunno, it seems like Hemsky stays if Spezza does, but if they bring another quality center for him to play with, may stay regardless?

Otherwise, I think we're in agreement.
    That was Carkner (not Kassian) that came to the aid of Karlsson and the series titled right than.

Kassian is not needed. He can actual cycle and forecheck pretty well, but I can't believe these guys still get paid to do whatever it is they do.

I was just throwing crap at the wall today, but it will be a very busy offseason for Bryan Murray. Never before has he had this much money and this many contracts to play with. Many decisions that will shape the future and determine who stays and who goes after the 2014-15 season.