Page 177 of 244 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 187 227 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 3660

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

The biggest problem with Cowen is his contract. I see the Sens having to eat some of it in order to trade him. Teams don't typically get much for players with larger contracts who are frequent healthy scratches. I think a fresh start could be good for Cowen.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I agree Commish. It's really a worse-case scenario, because had Murray traded him last year a team that thought he had potential could at least be assured he was under contract for two more. Right now it's a lose-lose as a reclamation project. If they can't turn him around they still have to pay him 4.5 next year. If he DOES suddenly become a top-four d-man -- and really, you wouldn't acquire a guy like him, at that pricetag, unless you thought he could be in that role -- then you've got a guy with an expired contract and a history of holding out. If the Sens can give him away without eating part of his contract I'd be happy with that. It must drive Karlsson nuts that he's so underpaid (relative to Subban et al) while playing 30 minutes a game, and meanwhile 9-10 million or whatever the total is goes into thin air covering the Cowen, Greening and Phillips contracts.

As for Ev, don't make it so easy for me. I didn't address it before because i didnt really think you had a valid point to make. Even if Runblad is a less damaging player to his team than Cowen, and I can't imagine that he would be though it's not like I watch a lot of Hawks games, and even if i did i wouldnt key on an obscurity like him, your argument has no basis in fact. You said Runblad "was in the final last year." Yeah, kind of in the same way as the water boy. In the finals he played the first two games, averaging a paltry 7.5 minutes (much less than Cowen was averaging before he was scratched), and then was a healthy scratch for the final four. I think if you consider Runblad in Cowen's class this in fact proves my point -- you can't win a cup with guys who pretty well give the puck away every time they touch it.

You were defending Cowen a month ago, obviously suggesting that he didn't deserve his "whipping boy" status, that he plays well enough to be 5-6, that Wiercoch is worse. Now you've reversed your position because it's not the company line any more. As i said, you're a pretty loyal fan Ev.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    I agree Commish. It's really a worse-case scenario, because had Murray traded him last year a team that thought he had potential could at least be assured he was under contract for two more. Right now it's a lose-lose as a reclamation project. If they can't turn him around they still have to pay him 4.5 next year. If he DOES suddenly become a top-four d-man -- and really, you wouldn't acquire a guy like him, at that pricetag, unless you thought he could be in that role -- then you've got a guy with an expired contract and a history of holding out. If the Sens can give him away without eating part of his contract I'd be happy with that. It must drive Karlsson nuts that he's so underpaid (relative to Subban et al) while playing 30 minutes a game, and meanwhile 9-10 million or whatever the total is goes into thin air covering the Cowen, Greening and Phillips contracts.

As for Ev, don't make it so easy for me. I didn't address it before because i didnt really think you had a valid point to make. Even if Runblad is a less damaging player to his team than Cowen, and I can't imagine that he would be though it's not like I watch a lot of Hawks games, and even if i did i wouldnt key on an obscurity like him, your argument has no basis in fact. You said Runblad "was in the final last year." Yeah, kind of in the same way as the water boy. In the finals he played the first two games, averaging a paltry 7.5 minutes (much less than Cowen was averaging before he was scratched), and then was a healthy scratch for the final four. I think if you consider Runblad in Cowen's class this in fact proves my point -- you can't win a cup with guys who pretty well give the puck away every time they touch it.

You were defending Cowen a month ago, obviously suggesting that he didn't deserve his "whipping boy" status, that he plays well enough to be 5-6, that Wiercoch is worse. Now you've reversed your position because it's not the company line any more. As i said, you're a pretty loyal fan Ev.
    I'm still defending him. I don't know what you're talking about.

I also defend the team's decisions because they align with my own opinions and ways of analyzing the game. I respect them and they know 100x more than I do, so I don't usually question anything they do. Some fans love to question/take the opposite side of every decision the team makes because a) they are negative, b) they think they are so smart with their analytics even though they have no general knowledge of the game other than the numbers, c) they love getting into a circlejerk with fellow Sens "internet" fans, and d) they have too much free time on their hands.

I maintain that Cowen can play as a bottom pairing defenseman and if he is a team's biggest problem, that team is doing fine. A Cup team can easily play him on their bottom pairing as the rest of their roster will be very good. People overrate how much a bottom pairing matters, and Chicago has proved that with their average/bad D after their best three d-men.

If you don't want to talk about Rundblad then fine, they also played Kyle Cumiskey and Trevor van Riemsdyk in the playoffs and Final. All crap but they still played. It's the exact same as if Cowen was playing on that team.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm not saying Cowen's the only reason they lost a crucial and potentially decisive game last night, but he was a major contributor in two bad, preventable goals in a 3-2 loss. He is an unmitigated disaster, both clumsy and dumb, and if Methot gets healthy i wouldn't be surprised if last night's was his last game ever for the Sens.

When i was a kid our gang would play kids from other neighbourhoods. One of the guys on our team was basically a cripple, he walked with a permanent limp and wasn't very bright. We put him on defence and just had to overcompensate for him. But he was our friend so he had to play. I keep thinking of Jack when i see Cowen play -- every time he is near the puck I cringe.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Padawan

The Phaneuf covo seems to be happening elsewhere, but I'd like to just add a comment here, too. I think this is actually a great move. Defense was our biggest issue and it's good to see Murray doing somethign about it and cutting ties with Cowen. Phaneuf in Ottawa as a #3 d-man? His contract is not as big of a concern in Ottawa as in Toronto. The pressure is not as big of a concern. Not as much is expected beyond "be a lot better than Cowen was". We got a competent NHL-calibre defenseman, unloaded some bad contracts, and we have our top-3 defensemen locked in for a bit now. Aquiring Phaneuf obviously doesn't make us Cup contenders, but at least we're giving ourselves a chance to compete and be entertaining in the meantime.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I really like this move. Karlsson-Methot, Phaneuf-Ceci is a rock solid top 4. I think Phaneuf is top D on PP2.

Banned

I think phaneuf has a chance to be on pp1 at times as well just because of that shot. We need a great one timer from the point

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

What a weird situation that is going to be when Dion Phaneuf walks into that Sens dressing room for the first time..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

I still like the trade and he did some good things tonight, but he also blew a tire that could easily have led to a goal, and no way he should have let zetterberg blow past him for the winner. that was a must-win and they lost it, I can't see them making playoffs, but i have my fingers crossed that he has something left for the next couple of years. Obviously he's vastly better than Cowan, but who isn't?

-- Boethius

Banned

I still like the trade and he did some good things tonight, but he also blew a tire that could easily have led to a goal, and no way he should have let zetterberg blow past him for the winner. that was a must-win and they lost it, I can't see them making playoffs, but i have my fingers crossed that he has something left for the next couple of years. Obviously he's vastly better than Cowan, but who isn't?
    Must win is a stretch and I was expecting him to not be good last night. First game in a completely different system a day after being traded.

Nobody should expect them to make the playoffs but this helps us for the next four years plus.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm not sure how a new system would cause him to fall in mid-ice, or let a player beat him on a play he's faced a million times in the past. A veteran player needs to step up in a big game like that. "Must win" isn't even remotely a stretch unless the team is tanking. If any player in that dressing room didn't view that as a must win ("mika, come on down!") they should be traded.

-- Boethius

Dobber Sports Initiate

surprised to see Zack Smith riding LW on the first couple of lines this season when he normally has been 4th line , do they resign this guy as I think he's in his last year? and does he hang in that spot or just there until Prince or someone else steps up? thanks in advance.
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Banned

I'm not sure how a new system would cause him to fall in mid-ice, or let a player beat him on a play he's faced a million times in the past. A veteran player needs to step up in a big game like that. "Must win" isn't even remotely a stretch unless the team is tanking. If any player in that dressing room didn't view that as a must win ("mika, come on down!") they should be traded.
    Dion has been excellent. So happy that we have legit veteran like him. We're done this year but we look very scary next year with a fully healthy lineup

Banned

Man phaneuf was so good again. He's been awesome in his own zone and getting shots to the net. Exceeded my expectations

Banned

Phaneuf excellent again. Not a secret a guy wouldn't look as good playing on the awful Leafs.

What a steal of a trade for the Sens.