Page 45 of 99 FirstFirst ... 35 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 55 95 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: New York Rangers

I don't see anything on the rangers forum yet
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

The Great One

Touché!
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    I don't see anything on the rangers forum yet
    Then I'll throw it in the Rangers forum.

There isn't a goalie in the league who is going to get hurt more by the equipment changes than Henrik Lundqvist. Rags got lucky that the changes aren't going to be done in time for this season.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

There isn't a goalie in the league who is going to get hurt more by the equipment changes than Henrik Lundqvist. Rags got lucky that the changes aren't going to be done in time for this season.
    Heard that one before. People said exactly the same thing 3 years ago when the last equipment changes occurred. And what happened to Lundqvist's performance? Nothing. Still easily a top 5 goalie.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

Well for starters I disagree with opinion and do not see the logic in concluding such a statement. In our recent discussions I have found your takes lacking in both style and substance. With the "rags" comment you now also lack courtesy or manners, unless you are too lazy to type something like NYR or rangers which is really quite simple.

Perhaps you can step up to the mic and post something more than 2 or 3 sentences and make an argument about your "conclusions" ? Is that possible ? yes ? no ? It never hurts to ask.

Being an inquisitive person, how many of Hank's games have you seen him play ?

What leads you to speculate err conclude that he is going to be hurt MORE by equipment changes ? Did you read that somewhere and parrot it here or do you have some sort of insight into your view of him.

I can post reasons why I think he will NOT be adversely affected by the equipment changes but as RangersFan has already indicated that people said the same thing 3 seasons ago and they were wrong Wrong WRONG.

So by all means the floor is yours, take the time to make a thoughtful reasonable post and we can have a discussion about it. yeh ?
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Simple. I don't need a long, eloquent response, because there's not a long, eloquent answer.

First, I type "Rags" not because I lack courtesy or manners, but rather because it's a fairly common nickname of the Rangers, like "Pens" or "Sens", and I think it accurately and appropriately describes the franchise.

But oh my, how CONCERNED I am with your opinion on my "takes". You disagree, and well gee golly that's just great for you son. That's something you're just gonna have to come to terms with.

The last equipment changes were a joke. If they were not, further equipment changes wouldn't be necessary. Corey Hirsch has done an excellent job of outlining how many cheats and how oversized goalie equipment still is. You should spend a minute on the Google machine and check it out.

Henrik Lundqvist (Henke is possibly the stupidest nickname I've ever heard. Not just for him, but for anyone ever), takes advantages of these cheats and oversized equipment more than any goaltender in the league. His equipment would be oversized on Dustin Byfuglien. IF the goalie equipment actually contours as it's supposed to, coupled with Lundqvist being one of the deepest playing goalies in the league, I would recommend Rags fans prepare themselves to watch their team get FREQUENTLY lit up like the Pens displayed in the playoffs.

See. No long answer necessary. Actual equipment changes that produce tangible differences (contouring the gloves, pants, chest protector, and jersey to the size of the goalie) as opposed to the laughable "change" you're talking about of shortening pads 2 inches, Lundqvist will be in trouble based on his athleticism, style of play, and massive reductions his pads will see comparably to most other goalies.

You disagree? Bully for you. I don't actually care. You're arguing from a biased position. Your posts sway to incredibly biased opinion, and show a complete failing at any attempt to be objective. So of course you won't be objective on this issue, and if you lack the maturity to examine situations objectively because your personal feelings don't allow you, I couldn't care less what your opinion is as it holds less than zero weight.

We don't need to have a discussion, as discussions with biased homers who can't take off the rose coloured glasses is akin to repeatedly slamming your head against a brick wall, only more painful, as the biased fan tends to be more dense than said brick wall.

Dobber Sports Stud

That was a fairly well written post. I knew you had it in you. You raised your game and deserve a cookie. Eloquence is an art form that gets better with practice, unlike a monotonous diatribe. One does not have to a large subject to discuss something. I for one hope you will bring your best effort in the future as the prior stuff I have read from you is/was mostly puerile.

You seem to be the kind of guy who thinks a zero sum game. That's kind of sad, but hey as you said you don't care. I can understand not caring and thinking we always have all the answers even if that is wrong headed.
    I reckon discovery comes in part with time which you appear to have quite alot of given your post count, so in that regard I can wait at some point down the line you might understand that. If not, well its a big internet and can learn to play together in the sandbox without too much animosity right ?

Until then I suppose you prefer a more banal and rancorous existence. Hey good for you, different strokes for different strokes and all that.

I have found that most worthy nicknames comes from the care and admiration other people have for us. So as to the legitimacy of "Henke" thats not my call, its what others in Sweden have called him. Your judgement of his nickname might have some relevance at your house, or perhaps the local watering hole when you are buying rounds but beyond that I suspect the gravitas is lacking. Then again I could be mistaken and your twitter feed, facebook page are en fuego with Henke takedowns. Are they ?

Concern is an emotion that comes from the ability to empathize. Not everyone has such higher brain functions or perhaps is aware that they have them. With over 7 billion humans sharing the planet, its only natural that some would be lacking in that department. A buddy of mine is a huge penguins fan, we had a little bet last year which I won and when collecting I commiserated with him about the epic collapse then said "we both know that is going to light a serious fire in steel town next season." But perhaps you have not read this far and are instead penning the penultimate WWF killer move that will forever shame me... but I digress. This year I had to pay up when he said "I don't think many teams have a chance against the penguins. They are surging right now and your team just happened to be in the way. Next year will hopefully be much more exciting". A class act, which so far you are not.

I have to admit I smiled when you use the word Objectivity since as I recall you attempted to compare OEL to Dan Girardi in a rather irrelevant and ponderous counter point when I clearly listed 4 over the hill dmen who neither made the playoffs, nor had any finals experience. Girardi has accomplished it and thats a fact. It has nothing to do with glasses, bias or our opinions. Look it up. Only Kronwall has done it all. The other 3 have not and quite likely never will. Your counter was "they are better" if I recall correctly. Talk about a brick wall...

Keep raising your game bro. Perhaps with a bit less vitriol but hey that works for some guys too. I for one appreciate your post even though I disagree with quite a lot of it. You took the time to phrase it and made the effort to post it knowing I would read it.

and finally the beauty of this kind of banter is that the season will play out, the goalie changes will hopefully be implemented at some point in the near future and we should be able to see what happens. I know I am looking forward to the season. I also know that many in the hockey community believe Henke is world class including our humble host and moderator. It might be prudent to ... eh scratch that you don't strike me as the prudent type. The rags suck after all right ?

best
    DP

Dobber Sports Initiate

24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

That was a fairly well written post. I knew you had it in you. You raised your game and deserve a cookie. Eloquence is an art form that gets better with practice, unlike a monotonous diatribe. One does not have to a large subject to discuss something. I for one hope you will bring your best effort in the future as the prior stuff I have read from you is/was mostly puerile.

You seem to be the kind of guy who thinks a zero sum game. That's kind of sad, but hey as you said you don't care. I can understand not caring and thinking we always have all the answers even if that is wrong headed.
    I reckon discovery comes in part with time which you appear to have quite alot of given your post count, so in that regard I can wait at some point down the line you might understand that. If not, well its a big internet and can learn to play together in the sandbox without too much animosity right ?

Until then I suppose you prefer a more banal and rancorous existence. Hey good for you, different strokes for different strokes and all that.

I have found that most worthy nicknames comes from the care and admiration other people have for us. So as to the legitimacy of "Henke" thats not my call, its what others in Sweden have called him. Your judgement of his nickname might have some relevance at your house, or perhaps the local watering hole when you are buying rounds but beyond that I suspect the gravitas is lacking. Then again I could be mistaken and your twitter feed, facebook page are en fuego with Henke takedowns. Are they ?

Concern is an emotion that comes from the ability to empathize. Not everyone has such higher brain functions or perhaps is aware that they have them. With over 7 billion humans sharing the planet, its only natural that some would be lacking in that department. A buddy of mine is a huge penguins fan, we had a little bet last year which I won and when collecting I commiserated with him about the epic collapse then said "we both know that is going to light a serious fire in steel town next season." But perhaps you have not read this far and are instead penning the penultimate WWF killer move that will forever shame me... but I digress. This year I had to pay up when he said "I don't think many teams have a chance against the penguins. They are surging right now and your team just happened to be in the way. Next year will hopefully be much more exciting". A class act, which so far you are not.

I have to admit I smiled when you use the word Objectivity since as I recall you attempted to compare OEL to Dan Girardi in a rather irrelevant and ponderous counter point when I clearly listed 4 over the hill dmen who neither made the playoffs, nor had any finals experience. Girardi has accomplished it and thats a fact. It has nothing to do with glasses, bias or our opinions. Look it up. Only Kronwall has done it all. The other 3 have not and quite likely never will. Your counter was "they are better" if I recall correctly. Talk about a brick wall...

Keep raising your game bro. Perhaps with a bit less vitriol but hey that works for some guys too. I for one appreciate your post even though I disagree with quite a lot of it. You took the time to phrase it and made the effort to post it knowing I would read it.

and finally the beauty of this kind of banter is that the season will play out, the goalie changes will hopefully be implemented at some point in the near future and we should be able to see what happens. I know I am looking forward to the season. I also know that many in the hockey community believe Henke is world class including our humble host and moderator. It might be prudent to ... eh scratch that you don't strike me as the prudent type. The rags suck after all right ?

best
    DP
    Your subtle, but ultimately transparent attempt at personal attacks give a much better display of your lacking brain function than anything I have written. You know what they say. Those who don't have the ability and the maturity to have a debate based on facts, merits, and data ultimately always degrade to personal attacks. While you've been much more subtle about it, ultimately, your last three post have all been absent of substance, and high on personal attacks.

Fortunately for me, that says quite a bit about you, and not much about me.

Interesting you bring up the OEL vs. Girardi comparison, as the ONLY reasoning you provided for Girardi being better than the players you listed was #PlayoffsBro, which suggests you legitimately think that all players on playoff teams positively contribute to their teams success, and each individual player is directly responsible for if a team makes the playoffs. Now if you had provided any type of substantive argument for Girardi, that would be different, but you didn't. Your #PlayoffsBro is quite similar to me saying that the other three are just better, the difference being nobody agreed with you, and multiple people agreed with me. In the forum of public debate, you're falling quite far behind, and therefore the onus is on you to provide data to the contrary, not me. If Methot, Kronwall, or Markov do not make the playoffs, it's as much about the quality of their team as the quality of the player. Girardi is a turnstile boat anchor who regularly gets walked and embarrassed on the ice in the game of hockey. Kronwall and Methot do not. Markov does, but at least he can do things offensively. However back to the comparison of OEL to Girardi, the example works, simply BECAUSE the ONLY argument you can come up with for Girardi is #PlayoffsBro, and if that is the ENTIRE basis of argument you have for a player's ability, than it is only logical to surmise that anyone not in the playoffs is worse than anyone in the playoffs, in your opinion.

You want more arguments? Here's some. Corsi stats:

Markov 50.74% Corsi, -1.3% Corsi Rel, 1.35 P/60
    Kronwall 49.66% Corsi, -2.4% Corsi Rel, 1.11 P/60
    Methot 46.71% Corsi, -0.6% Corsi Rel, 0.51 P/60

Girardi 41.65% Corsi, -8.4% Corsi Rel, 0.68 P/60

As you can see, Girardi is an embarrassing, BELOW replacement level player on the ice. He produces offense barely better than the rate of Methot, except Methot breaks even possession-wise, and Kronwall and Markov skate absolute circles around Girardi in all aspects of the game. I'm sure actual stats don't matter to you, because #PlayoffsBro, but #Stats prove what everyone else is saying. Girardi is below replacement level and significantly worse than the other three players listed. If the RAGS could trade Girardi for any of the other three, they would do it in a heartbeat.

But hey, keep not bringing real arguments and ignoring stats. As you can see, it's certainly helping your cause.

Dobber Sports Stud

much better than repeatedly posting Yikes.

Personal attacks ? you must have a pretty thin skin then.

You are a zero sum game kind of guy right ? That is true isn't it ?

Concern is a higher brain function that some do not have, such as sociopaths but I did not claim you were one but instead said I felt that up until then you had no class, although this most recent post is a significantly improved performance. We will see how this discussion continues from here, but I think its fair to say that you care right ?

Calling Henke a stupid nickname or the Rangers the rags is not a very sophisticated approach right ?

I think there is little doubt that Dan Girardi had a terrible season last year and the numbers you posted indicate it. After all he was/is a shot blocking machine and pretty much played an extra season of games over the past 3 or so seasons. Ankle surgery and very little healing time plus his advancing age took their toll no doubt about it. He only played in 74 games and some of those he probably shouldn't have. Yet somehow a team where he was 3rd in ice time made the playoffs. Even with the relative corsi numbers you posted. Indeed NY had relatively poor team possession stats overall last season yet STILL made the post season. It must frustrate you to no end, knowing these other players with their better ratings are sitting at home while traffic cone DG stumbles his way into another playoff appearance.

Can he get better ? obviously yes. Only a sociopath or angry bitter person would hope he didn't. That is the trouble with zero sum game arguments.

Girardi was a frustrating player to watch last season. Especially when many had expectations of his usual take no prisoners approach to hockey. The trouble was the "expectations" of the fan, as opposed to the state of his body after the past few seasons of punishment. Those expectations flames were further fanned when fans saw the contract and watched as Stralman left for more money in Tampa. It seemed that just about everyone turned on the guy. In their passion they forgot about the terrible money thrown at Boyle and Callahan.

Being a lifelong fan of the team and growing up 5 blocks from MSG I feel know the true meaning of underdog. All the money spent on over the hill soon to retire Canadian hockey players who paraded into Gotham, cashed their checks and went on to enjoy a better life in more relative comfort. Who better understands the mocking cheer of 1940 and 54 years without a cup than we rangers fans ? When a substantial part of the fan base rightly turned on DG is when I felt I should cheer more for the guy. He was rock solid, stand up, punishing defense first player in a league built for speed. He didn't clutch and grab to the degree other slow pokes did, and was part of the return to Rangers respectability. He cleared the crease with gusto, smashed the opposition in the boards and generally was a pain in the ass to play against. My kind of hockey player. In fact much like Methot actually.

As an undrafted free agent the odds were against him ever making the show, yet somehow he did. He parlayed his "lack" of talent into quite a successful career. An arguably more successful career than Markov or Methot. My point is that despite their better numbers those guys do not have the resume of Girardi. (again with respect to Kronwall) I did not make the decision to sign the guy, nor did I have anything to do with his contract. I cheer for the team and DG is a critical part of it. I think its easy to jump to the conclusion that DG had a poor season last year, that was not my point. I am not looking to score points, but rather to have a discussion about it. Yes I needle others, its part of my modus operandi its done in a rather cheeky manner. Maybe you saw a red flag and charged in ? Who is to say.

The Corsi numbers indicate DG was a poor player last season. The history indicates the Girardi's career is superior (at least so far)

So we are at the dawn of a new season and DG has had about as long a rest period as he is ever going to have. I believe he is now healthy and knows his last season was less than stellar. I want to believe he will return to the DG of the presidents trophy and finals run. Perhaps I am mistaken but I will still cheer for him. Its the same approach to life that would cause me to commiserate with Leaf fans for 67 or Habs for 93 or Canucks for never and to 2 NY teams even... I feel for them and prefer to build bridges rather than tear them down. I won't say things like "flames suck" or "oilers are a train wreck", why ? unless I want to somehow feel something by making others angry. That sounds like a pretty terrible way to go through life, but thats for each of us to decide for ourselves.

Honestly I do not harbor any anger towards you RA. Your last post indicates you have a valid point of view. I respect that. My hope was that by stirring the pot you might rise to the bait and make a great argument. While we don't agree, that isn't the worst thing in life anyway. My cause is to enjoy the season, its really as simple as that. I do not need to prove you wrong, in order to be right.
    Best
    DP

Dobber Sports Initiate

I guess anything is possible but what are the chances the Rangers move Stepan as opposed to Nash , Stepan has this year before his NMC kicks in next season as im just "waiting for the other shoe to drop" as they say. Would they make a move like that with Ziba ,Miller ,Lindberg and Pirri left to fill down the middle. Just speculating , I guess we find out soon enough!

G & A = 1PT.

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Stud

I suppose NY could move Stepan, but who would be their top 2 centermen after both Brassard and Stepan are gone ?

Pirri is on a 1 year deal
    Lindberg had major hip surgery and will not be in training camp
    that leaves Miller and Ziba both RFA in a year or two

Just does not make much sense

the issue as I think most agree is on the back end

Dobber Sports Initiate

I suppose NY could move Stepan, but who would be their top 2 centermen after both Brassard and Stepan are gone ?

Pirri is on a 1 year deal
    Lindberg had major hip surgery and will not be in training camp
    that leaves Miller and Ziba both RFA in a year or two

Just does not make much sense

the issue as I think most agree is on the back end
    Right so Stepan for a top Dman? , but do the Rangers see any of their other centers (Zibanejad) as being able to take that top spot or do u see him as a better fit as 2C? Im assuming the Rangers plan on resighning him next year after trading Brassard for him.

G & A = 1PT.

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Stud

I follow the logic, but frankly don't think NY would trade their top 2 centermen in the same offseason.

Yes from the NMC point of view it might make sense to consider moving Stepan, but the hole it would blow in the NY center situation is massive.

So NY goes into the season with Z, Hayes, Miller as their top 3 pivots ? I guess stranger things have happened

I think we see Nash or Zuc moved before Steps but that is just one mans opinion

Dobber Sports Initiate

I follow the logic, but frankly don't think NY would trade their top 2 centermen in the same offseason.

Yes from the NMC point of view it might make sense to consider moving Stepan, but the hole it would blow in the NY center situation is massive.

So NY goes into the season with Z, Hayes, Miller as their top 3 pivots ? I guess stranger things have happened

I think we see Nash or Zuc moved before Steps but that is just one mans opinion
    your probably right , but how else do they get out of the cap mess if they cant move Nash , Zuc has a decent cap hit , in essence they traded their #2 center for the Sens #2 center , so they would only be trading one of their centers in the end if they moved Stepan , im just reading some chatter on other Rangers websites and the Stepan trade was bought up and talked about. im really curious to see what they do.

G & A = 1PT.

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Vatrano - - Guriano