Page 44 of 99 FirstFirst ... 34 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 54 94 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: New York Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    not much left to upgrade that D though...
    True, not a lot of wiggle room, but Girardi is still younger than

Andrei Markov
    Kronwall

about the same age as
    Methot
    Phaneuf

all of whom are probably regarded as "experienced", also with the exception of Kronwall Girardi has more finals experience than the rest combined

obviously a biased opinion but those who think NY is going to take a step backwards will be sadly mistaken
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

The Great One

but those D units are better than what the Rangers will roll out as a unit
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

we are going to agree to disagree
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    With Vesey in the fold, the top 9 are pretty much locked up, with the bottom 3 more than penciled in

Now Gorton has to focus on the blueline and decide what if anything he is going to do about it

The team still has 2.5 megabucks in wiggle room left

So in a way the Brassard deal landed Zbad and Vesey which is a total homer way to look at it
    The Brassard deal had literally nothing to do with Vesey. Stop. Stop stop stop. Stop.

- - - Updated - - -

True, not a lot of wiggle room, but Girardi is still younger than

Andrei Markov
    Kronwall

about the same age as
    Methot
    Phaneuf

all of whom are probably regarded as "experienced", also with the exception of Kronwall Girardi has more finals experience than the rest combined

obviously a biased opinion but those who think NY is going to take a step backwards will be sadly mistaken
    I'll take all 4 of these over Girardi thanks. Nothing to do with experience. Everything to do with talent. Girardi and Phaneuf is close, the other 3 aren't.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    The Brassard deal had literally nothing to do with Vesey. Stop. Stop stop stop. Stop.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take all 4 of these over Girardi thanks. Nothing to do with experience. Everything to do with talent. Girardi and Phaneuf ARE close, the other 3 aren't.
    ok where to begin

Brassard's salary and its not being on the NY payroll is a part of the reason NY was able to land Vesey. Your saying its not does not hold much water from where I am sitting. Further not spending stupid money on Ryan Callahan and Brian Boyle is also a reason NY had the space to make the move. We have Tampa to thank for that ...

Obviously just my opinion, but considering that I was right about Vesey coming to NY and you were wrong means I have more gravitas on my side of the ledger sheet when it comes to this subject.

So you will take those 4 over Girardi ? Thats kind of funny, with the exception of Kronwall all of them did not make the playoffs. I cannot speak for you, but making the playoffs seems to be the primary purpose of every team.
    I don't know about you, but I enjoy watching my team with Girardi in the playoffs even if they are getting schooled by the Stanley Cup champions versus those "better" guys on the golf course.

I suggest you refrain from telling me what I can or cannot say. Or if you want then I hope you will make a better argument than repeating STOP or at least use proper grammar.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I will not tell you to STOP, but rather to make a more coherent argument.

Finally I am glad to see some postings on the Rangers board. I can understand the historic dislike of the team I cheer for, after all which team was most likely to pad old washed up players retirement plans than the NY Rangers ? But in the era of the salary cap, that is no longer the case. If anyone understands frustration with losing its a Rangers fan. 54 years without a cup. You think you know what its like to receive taunts ? please...

Dobber Sports Stud

The Senators had the 5th worst team defense in terms of goals allowed and added the offense first Brassard. Not sure how that math is going to work out for them. But defensively things do not look better. Do I hope they will be worse ? Hardly. I enjoy watching the Sens play and like their style. But a better unit ? I don't think so. Their offense should be loads of fun to see this upcoming season.

Montreal was 10th worst
    Detroit 14th with Datsyuk

Of those 3 teams I can see the argument that MTL will get better, assuming Price is healthy and the new blueline captain cuts down on chances against.

NY was 15th with Brassard and a terrible PK

as far as goals allowed goes the numbers do not agree with you

And NY got better defensively this offseason, not worse. Their PK alone will tweak the rankings even more in their favor.

so how do you see those non playoff teams defensive units being "better" ?

The Great One

From an eye test perspective I think if you put Hank behind those defences last season they concede less than what the Rangers defence concede with Hank IMO.

Montreal played with what I think is a career back up, Anderson is well Anderson and though Ottawa conceded a lot of shots (I'm intrigued by the split when Phaneuf arrived - even if he is a whipping boy on here) and Detroit relied on Howard and an inexperienced Mrazek who finished the season on a tail spin.

A good old goalie can paper over a lot of cracks and when comparing defensive units not everything is created equal but I would put the Rangers D corps outside the play offs when comparing all the D corps in the league - as I say my doubt about the Rangers depends on a) Hank proving that the play offs were a blip and not the start of his decline and b) the Rangers offence by committee works with someone being hot all season - if they all slump at the same time it could be rough as they have no real game breaker right now

Dobber Sports Padawan

From an eye test perspective I think if you put Hank behind those defences last season they concede less than what the Rangers defence concede with Hank IMO.

Montreal played with what I think is a career back up, Anderson is well Anderson and though Ottawa conceded a lot of shots (I'm intrigued by the split when Phaneuf arrived - even if he is a whipping boy on here) and Detroit relied on Howard and an inexperienced Mrazek who finished the season on a tail spin.

A good old goalie can paper over a lot of cracks and when comparing defensive units not everything is created equal but I would put the Rangers D corps outside the play offs when comparing all the D corps in the league - as I say my doubt about the Rangers depends on a) Hank proving that the play offs were a blip and not the start of his decline and b) the Rangers offence by committee works with someone being hot all season - if they all slump at the same time it could be rough as they have no real game breaker right now
    I am definitely leery of our D as well. My 2 rose-colored glasses thoughts are 1) They had finally a long off-season to be absolutely healthy 2) Gorton is not done and will make a move to acquire another Dman especially since there are too many forwards now. Also Hank and the playoffs. It was only Games 4 and 5 that were horrible but that was with the whole team playing like crap in front of him. 2 games. That's it. His regular season was just as good as ever.

I can't wait for the season to start!

The Great One

Agreed Hank had a good regular season so hopefully a reason to be optimistic.... Re making a move for a d man - that doesn't work as that's what I'm saying, they need the move lol

Dobber Sports Grand Master

ok where to begin

Brassard's salary and its not being on the NY payroll is a part of the reason NY was able to land Vesey. Your saying its not does not hold much water from where I am sitting. Further not spending stupid money on Ryan Callahan and Brian Boyle is also a reason NY had the space to make the move. We have Tampa to thank for that ...

Obviously just my opinion, but considering that I was right about Vesey coming to NY and you were wrong means I have more gravitas on my side of the ledger sheet when it comes to this subject.
    You were right and I was wrong? How do you know I was wrong? Where is it written where I thought Vesey was going to sign? I didn't make a prediction, because the whole thing was stupid. I was neither wrong nor right, I was indifferent. And sure, there's a salary cap so everything is organically related. But they didn't trade Brassard for Zib and Vesey. They traded Brassard for Zib. That's the trade. end of story. Final trade, is Brassard for Zib. That trade happened regardless of if they signed Vesey or not. I mean thank god the Oilers trade Shawn Horcoff so they have space to sign McDavid right?

So you will take those 4 over Girardi ? Thats kind of funny, with the exception of Kronwall all of them did not make the playoffs. I cannot speak for you, but making the playoffs seems to be the primary purpose of every team.

I don't know about you, but I enjoy watching my team with Girardi in the playoffs even if they are getting schooled by the Stanley Cup champions versus those "better" guys on the golf course.
    Yup, I definitely will take all four of those over Girardi. If "playoffs" is your argument, you must think Girardi is better player than OEL, Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Giordano, Brodie, Faulk, Karlsson, and Subban because they all missed the playoffs too and of course one singular player controls that type of outcome. Which is just terrifying for your player evaluation.

Fortunately for me, I just get to watch your "haven't won a cup since 1993" team get schooled in the playoffs but an actual cup winning team, which is really the primary purpose of every team. Playoffs don't matter if you aren't winning titles.

I suggest you refrain from telling me what I can or cannot say. Or if you want then I hope you will make a better argument than repeating STOP or at least use proper grammar.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I will not tell you to STOP, but rather to make a more coherent argument.

Finally I am glad to see some postings on the Rangers board. I can understand the historic dislike of the team I cheer for, after all which team was most likely to pad old washed up players retirement plans than the NY Rangers ? But in the era of the salary cap, that is no longer the case. If anyone understands frustration with losing its a Rangers fan. 54 years without a cup. You think you know what its like to receive taunts ? please...
    Isn't this you trying to tell me what I can and cannot say? My, what a hypocrite you are.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    You were right and I was wrong? How do you know I was wrong? Where is it written where I thought Vesey was going to sign? I didn't make a prediction, because the whole thing was stupid. I was neither wrong nor right, I was indifferent. And sure, there's a salary cap so everything is organically related. But they didn't trade Brassard for Zib and Vesey. They traded Brassard for Zib. That's the trade. end of story. Final trade, is Brassard for Zib. That trade happened regardless of if they signed Vesey or not. I mean thank god the Oilers trade Shawn Horcoff so they have space to sign McDavid right?

Yup, I definitely will take all four of those over Girardi. If "playoffs" is your argument, you must think Girardi is better player than OEL, Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Giordano, Brodie, Faulk, Karlsson, and Subban because they all missed the playoffs too and of course one singular player controls that type of outcome. Which is just terrifying for your player evaluation.

Fortunately for me, I just get to watch your "haven't won a cup since 1993" team get schooled in the playoffs but an actual cup winning team, which is really the primary purpose of every team. Playoffs don't matter if you aren't winning titles.

Isn't this you trying to tell me what I can and cannot say? My, what a hypocrite you are.
    Not choosing still means being wrong. However you are welcome to spin that however you like.
    NY with Brassard and Vesey are essentially over the cap. With Zbad and Vesey they are still under with enough cap space to make another move. Dobber made a similar point when discussing the trade between the Oil and Diablos.
    The other defensive selections are not even close to the age of the Dmen I mentioned with the exception of Giordano. If we are comparing hamburger to Steak then go for it, otherwise its a strawman. Arguing that OEL is better than Girardi is inane.
    As far as 94 goes, I enjoyed the run and the fact it took so long made it all the sweeter. Considering NY has made the playoffs 6 seasons and counting would indicate by your metrics they are successful.
    Regarding being a hypocrite I read that as being deceiving which I don't believe I am. Obviously you are free to throw the term around as you see fit but comparing Girardi and OEL seems a bit hypocritical to me.
    enjoy the offseason, I am so far

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFan View Post
    I am definitely leery of our D as well. My 2 rose-colored glasses thoughts are 1) They had finally a long off-season to be absolutely healthy 2) Gorton is not done and will make a move to acquire another Dman especially since there are too many forwards now. Also Hank and the playoffs. It was only Games 4 and 5 that were horrible but that was with the whole team playing like crap in front of him. 2 games. That's it. His regular season was just as good as ever.

I can't wait for the season to start!
    Well I think we all know that something is brewing, the question is what and when.

With the NMC/NTC handed out to the blueline that leaves only Klein as having value and "tradable". He has 2 seasons remaining at a 2.9 megabuck cap hit and 31 years old so I am not sure I see the logic in moving him. Then again considering the cost in acquiring him perhaps moving him for another solid player who is younger might be in the cards. It seems to be Gorton's modus operandi so far...

The 2.5 megabuck cap space gives Gorton more ammunition, especially as most everyone agrees that the forward situation is more than adequate.

What surprised me most about Henke last season was how he came out of the gate playing so well. Usually he is not up to the usual standard until sometime after US Thanksgiving. That was not the case last season.

The Great One

And ideally he needs to start the season strong again this one to silence his doubters....

Dobber Sports Stud

And ideally he needs to start the season strong again this one to silence his doubters....
    IT would be best for NY if he did, but I am half expecting him to fall back on his traditional pattern. That would probably bring Raanta in to start a few more games which in the long run might be a good thing for Henke as well.

People doubt Henrik Lundqvist ? not sure what planet they are from but I suppose anything is possible

The Great One

You need to read the forum a little bit more then