Page 20 of 99 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 70 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Ace

Any word on Staal yet. I see he is still skating with the team but is this another classic Crosby case where he isnt ready and it could drag on for the rest of the year??
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Stud

Last night's game was hard for me to watch, as I grew up a Ranger fan, but now live in DC and am a solid Caps fan. On top of that, the Rangers under Tortorella are a bread-and-butter, hard-working group, and I love to see that type of team do well, as the Blueshirts have been.

But on the ice I really enjoyed the ebb and flow of this one. For most of the game, I thought the game was closer than the score would seem to indicate, and some players, notably Callahan and Anisimov (!) really impressed me. I couldn't help wondering if Lundquist were in if he might have stolen one of the earlier goals, kept the momentum moving in NY's direction, and made this another win.

I would love to hear what those knowledgable about the Rangers' power play have to say about that unit's performance. I felt like the Caps tried (as they have too many times this season) to let the other team back into a game through a series of untimely penalties, but got lucky this time and the Rangers didn't take advantage.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Richards with 2 in 8? Ouch. What's happening lately?
    Honestly, I didn't even notice that he was struggling in the point category. He has been playing such a solid defensive game and the other lines have been producing or he has been getting the 'third assist' on goals. I wouldn't be too worried although last night wasn't one of the better efforts from the team. He'll get it back in no time as with most players of his skill level, good defense = good offense. Another key contributing factor would be the teams powerplay effort (ill do a PP breakdown in a few posts)
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat Danglers View Post
    Any word on Staal yet. I see he is still skating with the team but is this another classic Crosby case where he isnt ready and it could drag on for the rest of the year??
    With concussions, it's nearly impossible to know if a guy will be back on the ice tomorrow or if he'll be in his apartment watching Degrassi reruns. I believe he is close to a return and it'll come in the next few weeks. If a player is practicing with contact, can take it and is healthy for the next few days...I think you would have to toss him into the lineup.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Hey_Robbie View Post
    Last night's game was hard for me to watch, as I grew up a Ranger fan, but now live in DC and am a solid Caps fan. On top of that, the Rangers under Tortorella are a bread-and-butter, hard-working group, and I love to see that type of team do well, as the Blueshirts have been.

But on the ice I really enjoyed the ebb and flow of this one. For most of the game, I thought the game was closer than the score would seem to indicate, and some players, notably Callahan and Anisimov (!) really impressed me. I couldn't help wondering if Lundquist were in if he might have stolen one of the earlier goals, kept the momentum moving in NY's direction, and made this another win.

I would love to hear what those knowledgable about the Rangers' power play have to say about that unit's performance. I felt like the Caps tried (as they have too many times this season) to let the other team back into a game through a series of untimely penalties, but got lucky this time and the Rangers didn't take advantage.
    Solid post! I really don't think playing Lundy would have made a difference. Biron has been great this season and the Rangers looked like they did against the Blues. Nearly lifeless at times and not the team I (or other Ranger fans) are used to seeing. Too many defensive blunders on the night and it'll cost you.

As for the PP: Last night was the first night they attempted five forwards and no Del Zotto in a long while. The team is four for its last 31 and sits in 21st on the year at 15.3% and has looked off all year. The units are different every other game and can't seem to find a flow. I can't figure this out because in lots of games the pressure the Rangers put up is incredible while five on five, then five on four they slow it down and many times it has looked like the players are crapping there pants while deciding to shoot or pass.

Callahan looks pretty good in front of the net doing the dirty stuff and Richards seems to be able to find guys easily but then the other three players just are standing still or looking tentative when on the half boards. Stepan also is pretty smart playing the point but something just isn't clicking. Gaborik has to go to those dirty areas on the PP like he does while playing even strength and whoever they have in that fifth spot has to play a position and stick with it.

Del Zotto has been having a hell of a year but doesn't seem to shoot that often. If he starts to shoot then teams will have to worry about five options hitting the net as opposed to four. He's really smart when deciding on when to jump into plays but sometimes hes up there and then four guys are deep and Richards or Stepan are handcuffed on the point.

Sorry I kind of jumped all over on this analysis!

I will return to giving my post-game updates in January. This month has been a busy one but feel free to send questions and I'll do my best to answer them!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by littleranger View Post
    I really don't think playing Lundy would have made a difference. Biron has been great this season and the Rangers looked like they did against the Blues. Nearly lifeless at times and not the team I (or other Ranger fans) are used to seeing. Too many defensive blunders on the night and it'll cost you.
    Thanks for your analysis, and don't in any way feel pressure to get back to more lengthy (and amazingly timely) post-game reports, although as an out of market fan, I do enjoy getting a sense of how things went when the Rangers don't get coverage by me.

I agree with your point about Biron; he's been very good, and I don't think he should have made those saves, it's just that the way Lundy has been dialed in he's made a number of saves that he by no right should have stopped. But of course you're on point that this team lives and dies by group effort, and so some bad plays in their own zone is tough to overcome.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Marc Staal!

Marc Staal will be making his return today against the Flyers.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...0tDW2Nr6pqXLQK

Marc Staal, sidelined for the first 36 games with the after-effects of the concussion he sustained in Carolina last Feb. 22, will make his 2011-12 debut on the outdoor rink against the Flyers.

“We had a talk last night at dinner,” Tortorella, who became agitated on Sunday when pressed on Staal’s status, said at Monday’s pre-game press briefing. “I talked to my trainer [Jim Ramsay], I talked to [concussion spe******t] Dr. [Robert] Cantu, everything was good with them, and then I sat down with Marc and asked him if he wanted to play.

“I said, ‘Staalsie, are you ready to play?’ He said he was, so he’s playing.”

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ani Tweet

Sorry, I just love Ani's broken english (proud he's learning though), so thought I'd share his tweet:

Anisimov42 "I'm just watched mission impossible ghost protocol,it is good movie,I liked."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Staal's TOI

Marc Staal will be making his return today against the Flyers.
    I liked his ice time for his 1st back. I expect he'll be back around 25 mins soon enough (2wks at latest).

Not an offensive powerhouse, but I love our D depth when we get healthy... I expect a few to get traded though.

Try to score on this top 4:
    Staal
    Girardi
    McDonagh
    Del Zotto

Under-rated:
    Sauer
    Eminger
    Stralman (playing better 'D' to go along with puck skills)

Really stepped up their game when needed:
    Bickel
    Woywitka

Top names on the farm to go along with a few other solid prospects:
    Erixon
    McIlrath
    even Valentenko & Pashnin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Czechline View Post
    I liked his ice time for his 1st back. I expect he'll be back around 25 mins soon enough (2wks at latest).

Not an offensive powerhouse, but I love our D depth when we get healthy... I expect a few to get traded though.

Try to score on this top 4:
    Staal
    Girardi
    McDonagh
    Del Zotto

Under-rated:
    Sauer
    Eminger
    Stralman (playing better 'D' to go along with puck skills)

Really stepped up their game when needed:
    Bickel
    Woywitka

Top names on the farm to go along with a few other solid prospects:
    Erixon
    McIlrath
    even Valentenko & Pashnin
    I think we should keep them all just incase. We can send down Bickel and Woywitka we got through waivers so we could also send him down and just hope no one else scoops him.

With DZ emerging as a solid d-man, I'm really excited with the pairings. I assume they'll go back to Staal-Girardi; McDonagh-Sauer; Del Zotto-Eminger. DZ obviously could play a top four role but last year McD/Sauer were just deadly together. For the first time in years the Rangers have solid depth on the back-end. It's finally paying off to cheer for the Blueshirts!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dubinsky moves to the 2nd line finally! you guys think he sticks?

https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...98726571270146

All #NYR on ice. 3 new lines: Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik, Dubinsky-Richards-Callahan, Fedotenko-Boyle-Hagelin, Rupp-Mitchell-Prust/Christensen

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
    Dubinsky moves to the 2nd line finally! you guys think he sticks?

https://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord/...98726571270146

All #NYR on ice. 3 new lines: Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik, Dubinsky-Richards-Callahan, Fedotenko-Boyle-Hagelin, Rupp-Mitchell-Prust/Christensen
    He's picked it up big-time offensively over the past few weeks. Seems to have that Dubinsky confidence back that we've seen over his career. I can confidently say he'll play at the 55 point pace he's capable of for the remainder of the season (think 29 pt in 43 games)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He's picked it up big-time offensively over the past few weeks. Seems to have that Dubinsky confidence back that we've seen over his career. I can confidently say he'll play at the 55 point pace he's capable of for the remainder of the season (think 29 pt in 43 games)
    how did he look last night on the 2nd line for anyone following the game? 6SOG, 4HITs. Also he was right next to callahan during his PP goal, has he been upgraded to PP1 also?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
    how did he look last night on the 2nd line for anyone following the game? 6SOG, 4HITs. Also he was right next to callahan during his PP goal, has he been upgraded to PP1 also?
    He played a pretty solid game. A typical Dubinsky throw some hits and make his presence known type appearance. He's playing the way he was last year when he was putting up good points and driving hard to the net to create scoring chances.

I think the top PP is still Stepan/Richards/Gaborik/Callahan with either DZ or Girardi swapping on the point. The powerplay is in such a funk that one has to assume that when they finally get some goals on the board, they're gonna stick with the line that does it. NYR is 3 for its last 31 on the PP.

Dobber Sports Guru

little ranger, I need some insight on Anisimov. I have him in a one yr league where Goals = 2, Assists = 1 and PP or SH points get a +1 bonus so a PPG/SHG = 3 points. Artem has really cooled off the last 2 - 3 weeks and im just wondering whether you think he is worth keeping around. In this league you essentially should have forwards producing much less than 1 pool point per game. so 20 goals 30 assists with around 10 on the PP would be a bottom end player. Do you see him getting close to that (he was on pace for that until about mid December)?? thanks.