Page 46 of 99 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 96 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: New York Rangers

I just don't see why Gorton does that deal. The center depth takes a big hit and is left with the unknown of Z and his RFA situation going forward. Like Step or not he is only 26, has finals experience and with Brass gone is clearly the top dog at MSG.

If I recall correctly NY still has approx 1.4 megabucks they can play with

so just throwing numbers out there. Nash for 2 seasons with a 6.4 salary cap hit might gain more traction especially if it brings in a dman with a good first step out of the zone. Again just spitballing, lets say Trouba. The Peg gets 2 seasons of Nashster at 6.4 megabucks, Trouba signs for the money he wants and gets traded to NY. Clearly that deal won't work for a number of reasons but when Gorton is offering some cap relief plus the scoring of Nash in exchange for a pending RFA I don't think the other GM hangs up the phone. Rather they try to improve the deal on their end, or perhaps like Montreal send over McDonagh

Zuc said he "took less" to stay in NY, but he is 29 and had a very serious head injury. Probably some food for thought regarding him...

What cap mess are you talking about ? I need something more specific than "cap mess" to give you my opinion
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    I just don't see why Gorton does that deal. The center depth takes a big hit and is left with the unknown of Z and his RFA situation going forward. Like Step or not he is only 26, has finals experience and with Brass gone is clearly the top dog at MSG.

If I recall correctly NY still has approx 1.4 megabucks they can play with

so just throwing numbers out there. Nash for 2 seasons with a 6.4 salary cap hit might gain more traction especially if it brings in a dman with a good first step out of the zone. Again just spitballing, lets say Trouba. The Peg gets 2 seasons of Nashster at 6.4 megabucks, Trouba signs for the money he wants and gets traded to NY. Clearly that deal won't work for a number of reasons but when Gorton is offering some cap relief plus the scoring of Nash in exchange for a pending RFA I don't think the other GM hangs up the phone. Rather they try to improve the deal on their end, or perhaps like Montreal send over McDonagh

Zuc said he "took less" to stay in NY, but he is 29 and had a very serious head injury. Probably some food for thought regarding him...

What cap mess are you talking about ? I need something more specific than "cap mess" to give you my opinion
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nash's cap hit 7.8? The Blueshirts do have that 1.4mil available, but if they eat part of Nash's contract, that does more to limit them next season than anything. Next summer they need to sign about 10 players with only 10ish million dollars. That'll be the real test I think. This may be their last season to really try to make a push before the cap hurts them too much to remain competitive (I still think they'll be a playoff team, but it'll hurt their depth a lot to the point of making a deep run more difficult).
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nash's cap hit 7.8? The Blueshirts do have that 1.4mil available, but if they eat part of Nash's contract, that does more to limit them next season than anything. Next summer they need to sign about 10 players with only 10ish million dollars. That'll be the real test I think. This may be their last season to really try to make a push before the cap hurts them too much to remain competitive (I still think they'll be a playoff team, but it'll hurt their depth a lot to the point of making a deep run more difficult).
    Yes its 7.8, minus the 1.4 I threw out as an example.

Next off season NY gets
    Glass off its payroll who costs another 1.4
    Z 2.65
    Pirri 1.1
    Fast 950K
    Lindberg 650K
    Gerbe 600K
    Jooris 600K
    McIlrath 800K

Z will get paid no doubt about it, unless he flounders hard at MSG. I don't see that happening, but I suppose its a possibility. Say he makes what ? 4 ? 5 which is what Brassard makes with a better resume.

Thats about 5+, call it 6 to spend on the other guys.

Of them I reckon Fast, Lindberg and McIlrath are the priorities. I think they can do it without too much of a shoe horn. Because Lindberg will miss all of training camp and a significant part of the early part of the season, I expect to see him start in the AHL and get into game shape. Maybe he sees Garden ice sometime after US Thanksgiving, Christmas at the outside. I reckon that hurts his negotiating number on the next contract, so maybe he signs a 1 year deal and hopes to parley it into a better deal down the road.

McIlrath hopefully stays, maybe for Holden like money on a 2 or 3 year deal. Obviously just throwing out numbers...

Fast is a tough one. He has good speed and size, plus he managed 30 points on bottom 6 minutes. Tough to guess what happens to him. Hopefully Gorton gets him to sign for a team friendly amount, but wouldn't hold it against him if he wanted more. He did play in the conference finals which is pretty significant for a guy only 24 years old.

That leaves Pirri, Gerbe and Jooris on the outside looking in.

That is 4 players, with another 3 hoping for contracts.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Who is going to be on NY's top line this year?? Man Zuccarello has looked amazing at the World Cup!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Who is going to be on NY's top line this year?? Man Zuccarello has looked amazing at the World Cup!!
    I think the first line for NYR should be whatever line he is on.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Since Brassard came over from Cbus NY has gone with a 1A/1B pivot plan. Now that DB is gone that leaves Stepan as the clear top dog. Both guys are pass first players so I think AV will put someone with the speed to keep up and can jam home the puck. That means Rick Nash. Further both Stepan and Nash have an effective defensive presence which helps offset Zuc's offense first approach.

Dobber Sports Stud

Not sure what AV is doing dressing LaPierre for every preseason game. No doubt they have history with both he and Glass playing together before, but common coach do we really have to see 31 year old Maxime Lapierre over one of the other kids every fricking game ? seriously not cool...

Also its becoming apparent that Jimmy Vesey can take a hit. First going face first into the crossbar in Jersey, now being run by a dirty hit from Gudas at Philly. Kid we know you have skills but please have a little concern for your health out there. Its not as bad as Anisimov was, who was just freight trained on more than one occasion but fer crissakes Jimmy ~!

Also a tap of the stick for McIlrath taking matters into his own hands for rushing up and grabbing Gudas as Vesey lay prone on the ice. Yes he got an instigator and a misconduct but I for one was glad to see it. One wonders whose career will be ended from being on the wrong end of a dirty Gudas play. Ugly as hell...

Dobber Sports Stud

The 5/6/7 Defensive situation is looking to be quite interesting

Left handed guys are
    Holden 29 years old
    Skjei 22 years old

Right handed guys are
    McIlrath 24 years old
    Clendening 23 years old

Does AV go with 8 dmen ?

Going into the season I think Skjei had an inside shot at making the team but I think his lack of consistency in October so far has him buying a ticket to the AHL where he can get top pairing minutes and work himself into "game" shape.

Holden seems to have established himself as "trustworthy" by AV he has also been jumping into the play so far this preseason which is something the team needs.

McIlrath has also earned "trustworthy" status so I think he is fairly safe not to see the AHL this season.

Clendening gets the 7 hole as he can play either side and put up some fairly respectable numbers with the extra man.

So for the tougher games AV dresses McIlrath, for the others we likely see Clendening as long as he can help run the PP. This also allows McDonagh from playing 30 minutes a night.

Dobber Sports Stud

Larry Brooks of the Post wrote this piece on the eve of the season.

I think I speak for most Rangers fans when I say we hope for the best, but are well prepared for the worst. Few fans have experienced more hardship than we have.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/11/a-new-r...iliar-players/

Dobber Sports Stud

Apparently Skjei was battling some kind of virus during the preseason which is why he was not showing his "true" form. It explains the decision to pair him and Clendening on opening night.

Also of note is that Chris Kreider speaks at least passable Russian which makes Buchnevich's transition just that much easier. That line with Zbad is really clicking. Having a right handed shot is opening some nice looks.

Watching Nash on what is currently the 3rd line was also somewhat eye opening

Dobber Sports Stud

Well things seem to be coming up roses for the Rangers so far this season. Granted it probably isn't as great as their record suggests but the team has improved significantly from last year.

So much for the pundits and experts who forecast a step back for NY this year.

Some of the factors involved in NY being competitive so far this season are

Depth has really improved.

In fact Dan Girardi sat out a few games after an injury, that would not have happened last year. Further his kneecap issues now seem to be a thing of past, granted he is still slow as quicksand but he is no longer playing winded, has his head up and is finding the quick outlet pass.

Marc Staal has improved his game, is jumping into the play as well as playing as a very solid 2nd pairing defenseman. Many had written both he and DG off, so far they are wrong and both these guys are playing very effectively.

Brady Skjei is part of the reason. The kid can skate with just about anyone in the league, is taking a regular shift and playing a more physical brand of hockey. It allows AV to sit Girardi and Staal on some occasions, saving their stamina for a later point in the game when they are fresh and can be much more effective in the D zone.

Nick Holden while making the occasional turnover has played well enough. His skating while not world beating is effective enough to make a move with the puck on his stick giving him enough time to find a forward with speed heading out of the zone.

McDonagh and Klein are playing their usual brand of solid hockey, with good decision making, fine defensive play and moving the puck crisply to the forwards breaking out of the zone.

4 very competitive line with speed to burn.

There has been some tinkering but the lines of late have been
    Stepan with Nash and Vesey
    Zbad with Zuc and Kreider
    Hayes with Miller and Grabner
    Pirri with Buchnevich and Fast

Zbad has hit the post so many times its hard to count. Off hand I would say its in the neighborhood of 4 or 5 so far this season. The right handed shot is giving that line a great look and option on the flip side of the rink.
    Zuc is playing up to his usual pesty self, but this season he has bought in to the defensive system and is getting back on the play. His stick and hustle are breaking up many of the opposingcross ice feeds that were being made last season.
    Kreider is on fire, then hurt his neck and sat out a few games. His last 2 games have been somewhat unremarkable, but hopefully he can get back on track.

Stepan has improved at the dot and despite not scoring has been very solid on the defensive side of things. NY pays him to create offense so hopefully he can get things going.
    Nash has created numerous chances to the point where I think its feast or famine with this guy. Its either 10 games with no goals, or 10 games with 10 goals.
    Vesey does not seem out of place on this line. The key point being that the kid goes to the hard areas of the ice, looking for rebounds or taking the puck on his stick into the crease. Really like the look of this kid so far. Fearless.

Hayes seems to have recovered from last seasons horrific effort. He is still turning the puck over, but with the weight loss his speed has really improved. Great pass first player getting open looks at undefended nets because of his speed.
    Miller just gets better with every game. Tons of chances, throws the body, grinds it out and with a good set of wheels. He really seems to have found synergy with Hayes.
    Grabner is a recent addition to the line when Buchnevich sat out with back spasms. His speed allows him to break out of the zone, but Miller and Hayes can keep up with him so the cross ice feeds are open for high chance shots.

Pirri is getting very little ice time, but is playing up high on the PP and making the most of his limited chances. He has also bought into being a "complete" player for NY which means he sees ice time in the 3rd during critical times in the game.
    Buchnevich has not found the back of the net to this point, but wow does this kid ooze potential. His anticipation level is great and his skating is also very effective. He is an injury away from top 9 minutes. Like what I see from him so far.
    Fast is the defense first PK guy every team needs, but he cannot seem to score a goal although he had a nice redirection vs the Oil. He fits a role on the team and will remain as long as he does it.

Dobber Sports Stud

Up 3-0 in Calgary, but a great indicator will be tomorrow nights game vs the Oil

Dobber Sports Giant

nice win tonight against my brothers favorite team. I'm away at school and I got a text with my eight year old daughter wearing a Calgary shirt. I thought I was the only one brainwashing her. lol. I'm in Vancouver and got tickets to the canucks on Tuesday so as long as they win that one I'll be good.
    it's been great so far watching.
    can they keep up this scoring? their depth doesn't seem to quit.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Stud

Its a good question.

They are really clicking with the passes and letting the puck do the work. The breakout looks great with good puck support as well since the forwards are busting it to get back into the play.

The big bodies are also very effective along the wall.

Anti has been very good in nets as well. So far NY does not need to have Henrik in nets to win.

Can they keep it up indeed ?

Its been a ton of fun watching them play so far this season

They called up Boo as well.

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow is Henrik playing well tonight against the Canucks.

Numerous ugly turnovers yet the Nucks cannot score.

Kinda feel bad for Markstrom who is playing quite well...