Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by littleranger View Post
    How about the worst trade not made: Kaberle for Carter
    That's a good one. How about not wanting to put Steen in a deal for Pronger back in '06 when he was in EDM. He was traded to ANA and won the cup.

And then Steen and Carlo are traded for Stemp.

IMO, worst trade for the leafs that I've known of is Rask for Raycroft. Potential top 3 goalie in the league for a Calder winner who hasn't done much since. At least Stemp played decent in a checking role...
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    That's a good one. How about not wanting to put Steen in a deal for Pronger back in '06 when he was in EDM. He was traded to ANA and won the cup.

IMO, worst trade for the leafs that I've known of is Rask for Raycroft. Potential top 3 goalie in the league for a Calder winner who hasn't done much since. At least Stemp played decent in a checking role...
    Yes the Rask one is good too we kept Poggie he was supposed to be the next big thing...yeah that worked out :P

I hate the JFJ years!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Another Leafs Injury update:

Colby Armstrong (knuckle) is looking to return to the Toronto lineup for the December 4 game against Boston.
    Armstrong tore a ligament in his knuckle on Oct. 26. He once again skated on his own before practice. The Maple Leafs really miss him in shorthanded situations as he is an outstanding penalty killer. He doesn't have much fantasy value as he is a third liner, but he is a good hockey player.

Source: TSN.ca

Colby doesn't have any real fantasy value but he is a great 3rd line player and one of the best PK guys on the team this is good news for the Leafs

Dobber Sports Veteran

Do you think when Boston wins the cup theyll put 'Thanks Toronto Maple Leafs' in really small font on it?
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Veteran

They should!! Rask, Seguin (The Real #1 OA Pick) and whoever next year is?? But wait we will likely trade Kaberle for Savard I am still betting at some point

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by littleranger View Post
    Do you think when Boston wins the cup theyll put 'Thanks Toronto Maple Leafs' in really small font on it?
    My bet is hedged on a small honorable mentiopn to Phil Kessel. WIth the way those Bruins fans are acting ("thank You Kessel") I hate them MORE then I hate the Habs (Even after the shutout loss...).

JD, I think we might have to tone our opinions a bit : we seem to be hogging the whole "NHL team coverage" section :P
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

One Player Away??!!

Really I think the Leafs are closer to having the team they need to compete than what most people think! If you subplant a top line centre, lets say Savard for example and the injured players rejoin the team then we are looking at one very solid team IMO that can compete for a playoff spot yearly.

I am not talking about a NHL jugernaugt but a real solid NHL team! Think about Savard in and Kaberle out this is what the depth chart starts to look like

Kessel-Savard-Kadri
    MacAruther-Grabovski-Kulemin
    Armstrong-Bozak-Versteeg
    Orr-Brent-Brown

Phaneuf-Beauchemin
    Schenn-Komisarek
    Gunnarsson-Aulie

Gustavsson-Giguere

Now if you ask me thats a pretty solid line up and how Caputi fits in there in a year from now I am not sure at this time?? But the under-rated portion of the lineup is that 5-6 D combo. Gunner is having a bit of an off year but Aulie is the hidden gem in the Phaneuf deal the giant kid is going to be a great shut down type D man!!

If you ask me, if I am Burke I am working my ass off to trade for a 1st line centre using Kaberle and if he can manage that then play-offs here we come!!

JD
    Last edited by JD88; November 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Also in regards to the write up above I like the look of the PP with out Kabby....never thought I would here myself say that but I love what Versteeg has done on the point and with Versteeg, Phaneuf and Kessel as shooters it will make the PP less predictable which has been there problem for years (McCabe) With the new playmaking 1st line centre (Savard) and the playmaking abilities of Kadri that could be a hell of a PP....

Dobber Sports Icon

Didn't Raycroft set a franchise record for wins for the Leafs the next season?

I love love love making fun of the Leafs and that trade in particular but in reality Raycroft was the scapegoat for a bad Leafs team. His stats weren't great but he did get them 37 Ws that year and brought them to within 1 point of the playoffs.

Sundin was the only Leafs forward to score more than 45 points that season. McCabe and Kaberle were the only other talent that team had. Yes Raycrofts numbers weren't great but he didn't exactly have a stanley cup caliber team in front of him.

Playing last year on a very good Vancouver team and this year on a much improved Dallas team, he has posted much better numbers. The guy gets a bum rap in my opinion (I realize I'm in a very small minority). He could be a solid 1B goalie on a good team.

The only reason this trade looks so bad is because Rask could go on to be an elite goalie. At the time of the trade, both Pogge and Rask looked as if they could be solid NHL starters. I would argue that Rask only got the edge due to his development in the Bruins system rather than the Leafs. The Leafs aren't exactly known for properly developing their young talent.

My bet is hedged on a small honorable mentiopn to Phil Kessel. WIth the way those Bruins fans are acting ("thank You Kessel") I hate them MORE then I hate the Habs (Even after the shutout loss...).

JD, I think we might have to tone our opinions a bit : we seem to be hogging the whole "NHL team coverage" section :P
    Not trying to pick on you Nights, but I had to say this, "Thank you Kessel". :P On a related note, I was following behind a car this week that had a sticked of Calvin in a Maple Leafs shirt pissing on a Bruins symbol, wasn't you was it?

Aren't rivalries like this what makes hockey worth watching though? Seriously, if it weren't for Montreal and Toronto fans, I would not be nearly as entertained.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Veteran

Funny stuff 4T2 but your right about Raycroft being teh scape goat in some regards he was not and has not been the Calder winning goalie that he was for the Bruins no matter where he has played. Also Being a Leafs fan and watching all the media Rask was more touted than Poggie atleast from a media stand point I was pissed when we traded him!!

And yes rivalries are the best part of hockey...And we equally hate you too

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Didn't Raycroft set a franchise record for wins for the Leafs the next season?

I love love love making fun of the Leafs and that trade in particular but in reality Raycroft was the scapegoat for a bad Leafs team. His stats weren't great but he did get them 37 Ws that year and brought them to within 1 point of the playoffs.

Not trying to pick on you Nights, but I had to say this, "Thank you Kessel". :P On a related note, I was following behind a car this week that had a sticked of Calvin in a Maple Leafs shirt pissing on a Bruins symbol, wasn't you was it?

Aren't rivalries like this what makes hockey worth watching though? Seriously, if it weren't for Montreal and Toronto fans, I would not be nearly as entertained.
    It's not like, you know, Rask was named the WJC goaltender of the tournament while all Pogge did was play good for a Canadian WJC team... Pogge was bound to have good numbers because of the team in front of him. Think Toskala in SJ vs in TOR (Where he posted one of the worst goaltending performances from the last decade).

Then again, that was the year I started getting into hockey on a serious basis, so that's all I have to pull from, really.

As for the person driving, wasn't me. I don't have my full license yet.

Rivalries are a part of hockey. Which also gives us ulterior motives, such as please let the Habs get eliminated before they reach the 2nd round... 3rd round... oh god thank you Philly for stopping them from the finals!

It's funny though, since we've been complaining about how we needed wingers for Sundin (a big, number 1 center). Now, we're complaining about the lack of a big, number 1 center to complement our wingers (Kessel).

I also agree that we are one top-line player away from being a true contender. Although I wouldn't look at Savard because he's on the small side. I think we need a big center who's willing to go in the corners and in front of the net or at least is a big body. Thornton, Carter, Getzlaf. You know, that type of player (not necessarily their skill level, as we can't really trade for them, but that type of player).
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great Read on Schenn and Myers I put it up on my blog and I figured I would post here too. I promise I will cool it on the Schenn front, its just exciting to see as a Leafs fan a great young D-man coming into his own right in front of you nightly!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...eperiods112510

Dobber Sports Veteran

Tonights matchup TOR @ BUF

As a Leafs fan I hate playing against BUF we can never seem to beat them and have lost the only match so far this year. Our only saving garce tonight is that the Leaf Killer Miller will be on the pine so maybe we have a shot??

Gustavsson's numbers are not promising vs. BUF unfortunatley. He has yet to beat them going 0-1-2 and has only 1 road win this year?

Well I guess I can only hope that Lalime plays like he did in OTT when we beat him all the time and the The Monster has his first win against BUF Tonight!!

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Bad news boys its confirmed that Miller WILL start tonight vs. The Leafs and has 22 wins in 30 games against us DAMN!!!

Dobber Sports Stud

I absolutly hate when Leafs play against Miller, and Roloson(how many saves did he make last season in that one game 50+crazy shit)
    but the leafs still have a chance at beating them, but they will need another great performance from The Monster to pull off the win
    also they need Kessel to start going again!!
    GO Leafs!!!!
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren