Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On Stamkos

I...am your father.

Default On Stamkos

Wow - five points. He's starting to sway me.

Yes, he's awesome.

I said in my recent Hockey News article that he may win two or three scoring titles. I hinted that he could win the scoring title this year. He'll win it, I'm sure. He'll get 125 points.

But Joe Thornton got numbers like that. And Vincent Lecavalier had 30 points in 20 games just three years ago.

Is Stamkos Malkin? Crosby? Same category?

He's swaying me. But I'll reserve judgment. Malkin ripped through the playoffs 18 months ago at this pace. How short are your memories?

If the league has a 140-point player again, I would bet cold cash that it is one of the Big 3, and not Stamkos. I don't see that upside in him. I say this 12 hours after his five-point night.

I'm patient with my opinion. That cost me with Lecavalier, but it benefited me with Price. Tally up all my patient opinions and I'm right 52% of the time

This will be one of the 52%. Really. (really?)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

I dont know man he looks good but I think your right in saying he is not a top 3 just yet. I think that after this year if he is up there at the end, then thats something that you can say going into next year. But let him atleast get one stellar year under his belt before you put him up there with the guys that have been doing it now for a few years.

Agreed he is great but not part of the big 3 YET!!?

I...am your father.

He'll win the title this year. Probably by 10 points. But that's not enough for me. I don't see the 140+ upside. Not that 130 is anything to sneeze at...

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

Why does everyone always get stuck on this "Big 3"/"Big 4"/Big 5" thing? Stamkos is an NHL superstar. Can't we just be happy with that. How do we differnentiate Malkin from the Sedins or Backstrom and now Stamkos to determine the big 3. H. Sedin won a scoring title like Malkin has. Backstrom has as many 100 point seasons.

Since there are really only 2 constant members of the Big 3, Ovie and Crosby can't we just say its a Big 2.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Talking

Top 5 isn't so bad!! and it will be interesting if he can out point Malkin 2 years in a row??? I know I know Malkin played 15 less games but that kind of info is useless to me when I'm trying to stir the pot
    12 team Full Keeper
    G,A +/- Hits,BS,SOG,ATOI,PPP,FOW,PIM,GWG,W,Saves,Save%,GAA ,SO
    C:Crosby,R.Johanson,J.Carter,Brassard,Fisher,Kadri ,Vermette
    RW:Ovechkin,Voracek,Hornquist,Niederieter,Silfverb erg
    LW:Benn,Zetterberg,Panarin,Hartnell,Ladd,Hertl
    D:Hedmen,OEL,Buff,Letang,Klingberg,Chara,Gudas,Orp ik
    G:Price,Crawford,Dubnyk,Darling,Miller

10 Team Full Keeper 29 Roster 5 Minors Full Roto
    C-Crosby,Backstrom,Kopitar,Krejci,RNH,Plekanec,
    LW-Hall,Saad,Krieder,Perron,Boedker
    RW-Okposo,Atkinson,Niederietter,Shaw
    D-Letang,Hedman,Green.Klingberg,S.Jones,Chara,Orpik
    G-Bobrovski,Lehner,Niemi,Helly,Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would love to see this kid win it this year but I dont think he will and for no good reason but I still have too much faith in Sid and Ovie.

But if for no other reason I hope he becomes one of these top 3 becuase I am a huge fan of Gary Roberts and what he has done in the game and for the game and Stamkos gives a lot of credit to Roberts for turning him around after the 1st down year!

Side Note off topic: I love that now we talk of people hitting 140 points and how incredible of hockey players they are, and they are. But can you imagine Gretzky right now!! 5 200 + point seasons with all the clutching and grabbing?? Just a thought anyhow!

Banned

Uhh the real question is, could you imagine Crosby and Ovechkin in Gretzky's era? They'd be right up there in points.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Uhh the real question is, could you imagine Crosby and Ovechkin in Gretzky's era? They'd be right up there in points.
    I know the argument the goalies where not as good and the equipment smaller, I still believe that if he were to play in this era in his prime state that he would be the best in the game.....but hey we're off topic here so back to Stammer GREAT KID!!!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by davidgoodburn View Post
    Why does everyone always get stuck on this "Big 3"/"Big 4"/Big 5" thing? Stamkos is an NHL superstar. Can't we just be happy with that. How do we differnentiate Malkin from the Sedins or Backstrom and now Stamkos to determine the big 3. H. Sedin won a scoring title like Malkin has. Backstrom has as many 100 point seasons.

Since there are really only 2 constant members of the Big 3, Ovie and Crosby can't we just say its a Big 2.
    It's not about consistency, it's about upside. If Malkin missed all of last year and only played 10 games this year, and only plays 5 games next year, he's still in the Big 3 because he is one of the few who can reach that kind of point level.

Stamkos is in the picture now.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Yes - they'd be up above 180. Malkin too. Stamkos would be an Yzerman-like 140-150

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    He'll win the title this year. Probably by 10 points. But that's not enough for me. I don't see the 140+ upside. Not that 130 is anything to sneeze at...

Even the great Dobber falls victim to hype sometimes too

very interesting how big of an effect "the moment" has on the perception of players. I said it before the season started and I'll say it again now... Stammer won't even hit 100.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post
    Even the great Dobber falls victim to hype sometimes too

very interesting how big of an effect "the moment" has on the perception of players. I said it before the season started and I'll say it again now... Stammer won't even hit 100.
    I still see him hitting 100. Don't see him clearing 110 though.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I still see him hitting 100. Don't see him clearing 110 though.

yea, I think the odds are that he'll hit 100 too. but i like to play devil's advocate so I'm gonna say that he finishes with 54 and 43

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Cool Still sure??

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Wow - five points. He's starting to sway me.

Yes, he's awesome.

I said in my recent Hockey News article that he may win two or three scoring titles. I hinted that he could win the scoring title this year. He'll win it, I'm sure. He'll get 125 points.
    Hey Dobbs, are you still sure?
    10 team keeper league, points.

C: Crosby, Backstrom, Grabovski, Turris
    L: Neal, Moulson, Ladd, Silfverberg
    R: Voracek, Malkin, Giroux, Hemsky, Frolik
    D: Letang, JJ, Wideman, Gonchar, Timonen, Franson, Wisniewski
    G: Luongo, Nabokov, Thomas
    Keep 10 players+2 rookies, Start 3C+3LW+3R+6D+2G

Jimpa - RIP.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Saw him live last week vs Edmonton. He's a great player don't get me wrong but once Marty starts to slow down I don't think he'll be challenging Crosby/Ovi/etc for scoring titles unless he gets another star winger to play with.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year