Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sean Avery

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Mcgooo, your post was hilarious, but stupid at the same time
    lmao...that was the point Dutch, I'm glad it didn't go over your head

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    And McGoo, silliest, most pointless rebuttal ever. But I know you were just exaggerating your stance...but all the same, put in some reasonable change suggestions to back your point (oh wait...if you do that, then you'd back MINE! lol)

congrats to you too Dobber, you guys are ON your game tonight!

sorry Dobber, you're usually spot on with 95% of your posts, but this one was absurd, and that's being generous
    Last edited by mister_mcgoo; November 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

All you fools talking about respect on the ice... You are idiots

You should all go with Don Cherry live on the moon or something

The purpose of a game is TO WIN IT...

Doulos, you are a fool. If Avery was on the oilers you wouldn't mind him either.
    You really think Zack Stortini is a great agitator? Get lost dude

Mcgoo, same for your team.

Everyone would love to have the Avery's of the NHL on their team.
    Sorry Dutch, do you think guys who want players to show a certain level of respect on the ice are idiots? Really? In '76, Bobby Clarke showed a general disregard (lack of respect) for the game and his opponent when he slashed and broke Kharlmov's ankle. Canada won the series, but is that really what you would like to see all over the NHL? Just win baby!

Why did you find it necessary to call doulos a fool? The Detroit Red Wings, L.A. Kings AND more recently Dallas Stars have proven YOU wrong; clearly NOT everyone would LOVE to have Avery on their team!

My problem here isn't with Avery, I actually like having a guy like him in the league. He keeps everyone on their toes (haha, Toews!) and keeps us talking. No, my problem is with the LEAGUE itself. They enable guys like Avery, Lapierre, Kaleta, etc to thrive. The instigator rule along with the constant parade for supplemental discipline for what used to be acceptable conduct (both on and off ice), has effectively neutered the players code. So the NHL actually PROTECTS and ENCOURAGES ass clowns to bring their A game.

There's a reason that back in the day (hey I'm an old man now, I can talk like that), there were no players like Avery, Kaleta or Lapierre. Players like Esa Tikkanen, Claude Lemieux, Darcy Tucker, Matthew Barnaby and others were kept in check by the threat of REAL tough guys being able to engage them in a fight (with or without the ass clown's consent) and teach them that there are consequences to their actions if they did something unsavory.

Seriously, why do the linesmen jump in so quickly to stop players from fighting? Aren't there rules that protect the players? Whenever the linesmen jump in, the faux tough guys start their tough guy act, "let me at'em" they'll say, knowing full well that the linesmen won't back off and let them engage in a fight.

I have a simple answer to all the post-whistle scrums, that is IF the NHL wants to stop all the shenanigans. All they have to do is instruct the officials to back off and just take notes of who broke the rules and once they are finished, put all the offenders in the penalty box. If you don't want a penalty, just protect yourself, cover your face, skate away from the fracas. Penalize the guys who give face washes and don't penalize the guys who do nothing. Problem solved. Where's that Easy button?

I liked your post Mcgoo! Made me laugh and cry at the same time.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

I...am your father.

Instigator rule - that's exactly right. How much would Avery get away with were it not for that rule?

Great point Comish. And until that rule comes back, Avery - have at 'er
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Super Moderator

First off, guys, leave Dutch alone, in fact, he should be praised. The fact that this guy has some serious type of mental illness, and he's still able to put words together like he does, he should be commended, not chastised. Good for you, Dutch. Keep putting words together.

As for Avery, I could see how people like his style of play. I just don't understand why they don't watch Jackass instead. Those are actually pro's doing what he does and they do it well. I'd prefer to watch hockey.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Icon

I forgot to mention the instigator rule, that is a huge factor here. If Avery did what he did back in the 80's to a Gretzky or Yzerman (or other guys), Semenko or Probert would have Avery's teeth embedded in their knuckles.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Guru

Ok maybe not a total p**** but I just hate watching guys dive and turtle I think it cheapens the game, i want a team to win because they are better hockey players not better sh** disturbers. Is he effective? Hell yeah and maybe that part of why I can't stand him. He has enough talent to play in the show without all the bull****.

As for the respect thing, Pronger is a dirty cheap bastard on the ice but I still think that most NHL players would want him on their team where as the same can't be said for Avery. Wade belak said on the edge 102.1 the other day that he wouldn't piss on Avery if he was on fire, I doubt there are many players he would say that about, but I truly don't know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Sorry Dutch, do you think guys who want players to show a certain level of respect on the ice are idiots? Really? In '76, Bobby Clarke showed a general disregard (lack of respect) for the game and his opponent when he slashed and broke Kharlmov's ankle. Canada won the series, but is that really what you would like to see all over the NHL? Just win baby!
    I'm not saying that he should be breaking ankles and slash throats. But a little waving at brodeur without body contact can't possibly harm anyone.

Why did you find it necessary to call doulos a fool? The Detroit Red Wings, L.A. Kings AND more recently Dallas Stars have proven YOU wrong; clearly NOT everyone would LOVE to have Avery on their team!
    there's just a general disliking towards Doulos, and this was just another point where I absolutely can't stand the guy. Not his fault.... But I still found it necessary to point that out.

My problem here isn't with Avery, I actually like having a guy like him in the league. He keeps everyone on their toes (haha, Toews!) and keeps us talking. No, my problem is with the LEAGUE itself. They enable guys like Avery, Lapierre, Kaleta, etc to thrive. The instigator rule along with the constant parade for supplemental discipline for what used to be acceptable conduct (both on and off ice), has effectively neutered the players code. So the NHL actually PROTECTS and ENCOURAGES ass clowns to bring their A game.
    I agree with this comment, but still Avery just pushes the limits where the current rules are. Nothing wrong with that

I actually totally agree with Dobber (and that doesn't happen often in threads like these)

And that Avery doesn't fight is exactly nonsense. No point fighting at times in the game. At other times, he droppes his gloves. The fact that he knocked Smid out of the game wasn't dirty. Smid wanted it, he just didn't pay attention. His own stupidity.

I bet if Avery was a "good beautiful Canadian kid" as Don Cherry likes to say all the time, he would be loved by MANY MANY more.

There's most certainly players in the league today that are MUCH MUCH worse than Avery. Getting under skin of opponnents isn't really anything much. He's just doing it in a creative fashion.

Dobber Sports Ninja

All you fools talking about respect on the ice... You are idiots
    I literally, actually, 100% did not read past this line. The irony of this one sentence and who is writing it is insanely amazing!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hahahah, I'd say that reading this thread has Dobber sitting in his atomic powered easy chair drumming his fingers and chanting "Eeeexxxxcellent!"

Mission Accomplished

Banned

I bet if Avery was a "good beautiful Canadian kid" as Don Cherry likes to say all the time, he would be loved by MANY MANY more.
    he IS Canadian Dutch, he was born in Pickering, ON

lol

Dobber Sports Ninja

Uh, Avery was born in Pickering, Ontario, Canada. Needless to say, he is not beloved by Don Cherry, nor a good number of Canadian hockey fans.

Edit: Didn't catch Mcgoo's post in time. Just noticed that on Dobber's profile, he says he is from Pickering...hmmm, interesting, no?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    he IS Canadian Dutch, he was born in Pickering, ON

lol
    true, but what I meant was if Don Cherry loves him in the ways he loves 4th liners who never will be a factor in the NHL, plenty more people would love him. Guess that point didn't come across the way it should have

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    As for the respect thing, Pronger is a dirty cheap bastard on the ice but I still think that most NHL players would want him on their team where as the same can't be said for Avery. Wade belak said on the edge 102.1 the other day that he wouldn't piss on Avery if he was on fire, I doubt there are many players he would say that about, but I truly don't know.
    Great point. I can't stand Pronger at all, but I wouldn't say no if he wanted to play for the Oilers again - I mean the guy is stupidly talented.

As for Avery - Ken Holland said that he got rid of him for his lack of respect for the game, and that's reason enough for me to see that he doesn't actually bring any mystical quality to a team, but in fact is a detrement in every sense of the word. I'd trust Ken Holland's opinion on the matter over anyone else here.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Uh, Avery was born in Pickering, Ontario, Canada. Needless to say, he is not beloved by Don Cherry, nor a good number of Canadian hockey fans.

Edit: Didn't catch Mcgoo's post in time. Just noticed that on Dobber's profile, he says he is from Pickering...hmmm, interesting, no?
    Are you suggesting that Sean Avery is a ghost writer at Dobberhockey!!!??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Are you suggesting that Sean Avery is a ghost writer at Dobberhockey!!!??
    he probably bought a place next to Dobber for his family or something and now Dobber is scared he's gonna come over and dance back in forth in front of him when he tries to go to the store for some beer and pampers