Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sean Avery

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    true, but what I meant was if Don Cherry loves him in the ways he loves 4th liners who never will be a factor in the NHL, plenty more people would love him. Guess that point didn't come across the way it should have
    for the most part Don Cherry is a ******ed, racist dinosaur who USED to contribute something of value to hockey discussions but hasn't done so in over a decade...on that much we agree Dutch.

But there's nothing wrong with recognizing the value of 3rd/4th round guys who play a hard, chippy game, you need some of that to win championships. Avery minus all his bullshit does a decent job of filling that role

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Everyone would love to have the Avery's of the NHL on their team.
    Why don't you ask Nieuwendyk, Brett Hull, Modano, Turco, and some of the other Stars if they would want him on their team?
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

excellent thread.

That last point on Avery with the Stars is a valid one. He has no respect from his own teammates. He didn't in Dallas, and I don't believe he does in NYR either.

So Avery decides to go after someone on the other team. 2 problems: 1) he pisses off the other team, who then go after a player on his team. Now imagine your on Avery's team...what type of confidence do you have that it won't be you getting the retaliated / injured. 2) Notice that very few if any of his own teammates come to his rescue...especially if he's in way over his head.

In my opinion, this isn't the type of player you want on your team, and it's only a matter of time before he makes a mistake again.
    1 yr. pool, 2pts/Goal,1pt/Ast.,no pos.requirements, 15 team league, all players count, 1 drop only:
    Stamkos, Toews, Duchesne, Benn, Simmonds, Burns, Read, Atkinson, Dubinsky, Boedker

Dobber Sports Stud

I look forward til the day Avery grows up. Oh, and Sean Avery is brilliant he knows exactly what hes doing and thats pissing off people. <3 AT FIRST SIGHT

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    yeah you're right Dobber, screw the 'code', screw the old way of thinking, wtf use is 93 years of tradition anyway? Fück yeah, lets make this league more exciting so we can get a big TV contract!...out with the old and in with the new, lets really shake some things up....like:

1)put the shootout in the playoffs too! That's way more exciting than watching 60 mins of OT for sure...
    2)having 3 periods is dumb, everyone else has halves or quarters, lets break it into two 30 mins halves so we can roll out a big stage at halftime for Justin Bieber to sing some bull$hit, he's just dreamy
    3)lets continue to wussify the game like they have with football so that all contact results in a penalty...we really gotta protect the goalies more too, I think its an automatic 5 min major if you so much as sneeze on a goalie, even if he's out of the net.
    4)speaking of the NFL, lets encourage all the players in the NHL to behave like spoiled little self-absorbed shitheads too. There's no 'I' in TEAM but there's definitely a big ME ME ME!
    5)oooooo, speaking of ME ME ME, lets find a way to make it less of a team game and more individualistic, like maybe a skills competition at halftime that focuses on fastest skater or hardest shot or something where you can earn extra pts. Oh I know!, we could have a cage match fight on ice maybe! Yeah that'd be hella sweet.
    6)lets make talent and skill take a back seat to on-ice theatrics and antics, because lets face it, drama sells...hockey is boring, we need to spice it up with some soap opera-like shenanigans, maybe take some tips from the WWF where they all have different allegiances and feuds and trash talk during interviews and stuff, fück yeah! I'd love to see Avery talking trash to Pronger at halftime then match em up in a cage match, that would be just awesome
    7)speaking of drama, everyone loves to see blood so lets make cheap shots the norm. Players should be encouraged to hurt each other, that really fuels the whole drama angle too and will really sell tickets
    8)we need more T&A, those ice sluts that we have cleaning the ice now need to be involved in the actual game somehow, like maybe we change the rules around so that its like a capture the flag type scenario, except we make it 'capture the babe'...oh and we need them much more scantily clad, sex sells afterall
    This cracked me the f*ck up lol! Hilarious
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Banned

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Sorry Dobber, I can't agree with you here at all. It has nothing to do with some 'unwritten code.'

True, some of the things he does are actually quite creative and DO make me kind of laugh - the Brodeur thing is a good example. But he so many other things that cross the line that I can't respect or like him.

If he were the kind of guy that agitated and then answered the bell when someone dropped the gloves (Barnaby was like that - pain in the ass pest but he would go toe-to-toe with anyone) I might have some respect for him. But what does he do last incident? Goes after a small Euro defenceman with a semi-sucker-punch. I would have loved to see him try that on Stortini.

We couldn't disagree more on Avery - I don't care what the era or whether or not there are unwritten rules or not - there needs to be a certain level of respect in the game for your opponents. What Avery does goes beyond the parameters of the game, and he is either going to seriously hurt someone with a dumb disrespectful knee-jerk play, or someone is going to put his face through the boards.

We have been hearing stuff about head-shots and respecting your opponent ad nauseum in the past year - what Avery does is one of the things that makes other players cross the line and take guys like him out with real attempts to injure. And of course it goes back and forth, tit-for-tat. He won't drop the gloves so you have to get him some other way.

I have no problems with agitators and pests - they have a place but they can take it too far. It may be entertaining to some, but for me it is like Tyson biting Holyfield's ear - it crosses a line and tarnishes the sport.
    I stand by these comments (although I shoulda checked Smid's size - granted he is big, but not exactly a tough guy).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

I...am your father.

Poor Avery. Took his act too far for the sensitive babies of the NHL to take. Ga ga goo goo? Get a spine!

I understand Avery because I'm like him. I was a shit disturber in high school. Did it make me friends? Not many, but a couple. Did it make me enemies? Not many, but a couple. But it probably annoyed enough people that they stayed away from me. And if one of those enemies was the wrong person, I'd get beat up (fortunately, it wasn't the case). But I understand what Avery's motivation is and what he is trying to do. I believe that most people on this thread do not understand him/this nearly as deeply as I do. So go to the printing press and print off the standard response to any Avery incident/thread. Toe the party line. But I'm content in knowing that at least I understand him and think he has 50-point, agitating value. He'll win a playoff game on his own.

It's funny that John Tortorella would be a yapping enforcer if his personality were to reflect on the ice. He'd be that tough guy who doesn't hold back what he says (and that trait is precisely what hurts Avery the most).
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi