Thread: Is it Miller time or Miller Light time?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Is it Miller time or Miller Light time?

Hey Justin,

As usual, I turn to you to soothe my goalie woes. My goaltending trio in my 1-year roto league was supposed to be unbeatable with Rinne, Bryzgalov and Turco. As it stands now, obviously, I'm not doing so well sitting in last position in GAA and SHO and close to the bottom in Ws and SV%.

I am in position to acquire Miller for a reasonable price as his current owner told me he is contemplating dropping him. I have the last waiver priority so I won't be able to snag him if he is dropped. The other thing is that I would end up having to drop a goalie if I acquire Miller. I am just wondering whether Miller is worth it. The way Buffalo is playing in front of him does not inspire confidence and Miller has yet to show his Vezina-form (which makes for a potentially nice buy-low opportunity). So, what's the deal with Miller? Thanks Goldie!

The King of Diatribes

If you were to acquire Miller and drop any of your goalies, it would probably be wise to drop Turco. I don't think Miller has been bad at all since returning from his injury, save a few weak goals against the Capitals in the 4-2 loss.

Miller is kind of in the same boat as Anderson. They were sensational last year, played in a bazillion games. The schedule this season has not been as kind. Their starts have not been as strong. Both suffered injuries.

I would say Miller is going to have a much better second half. Just look at Miller's schedule and you will see there's very little consistency. Back-to-back this weekend, 3 days off, 3 games in four nights next week, another massive 5 day break, 5 games in 7 nights, another 3 day break and then another 3 games in four nights. That's just insane.

Miller has yet to show his form from last season, but it's very high expectations to match and I don't think you'll see him match those numbers at all. But he will still play extremely well and he's worth looking at as an upgrade over Turco.

Turco has been much better than the team in front of him. Yes, he's allowed some weak goals, but nobody seems to realize that his lack of size forces him to work 10x harder than a bigger goalie and in my opinion has been one of the best blackhawks all year long. Smart move to give Turco the easy start against Edmonton ... pitched a shutout and should continue to play well with that boost of confidence.

Hold firm for a bit and then if Miller starts to notch a few wins, his confidence will also go up and then making the move of acquiring Miller for Turco would make more sense.