Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - November 8

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    What happens to the Rask/Thomas combo next year? Will Thomas be moved for sure this summer or will they let Rask and Thomas battle it out agian?

And if I have Lundqvist for 2 more years, or Rask or Neuvirth for 4 more years, which goalie would you keep?
    I am deathly afraid of predicting anything regarding Thomas because I was 100% DEAD WRONG about him this season. And I feel bad that many people are probably suffering from it, as I had Rask labeled as the #1 goalie to own for a one-year league. FAIL.

Like all other inquries related to potential trades, it's really out of my control in regards to projecting it. It depends on offers, salary cap, etc. That's not my area of expertise. I don't think the Bruins are going to actively try and trade Thomas anymore. He is healthy and he wins games. Only if they have to sacrifice him for the good of the offense will he be moved. And Rask is the future, so he's not going anywhere.

Not too sure I understand the second part. You have to choose between keeping Lundqvist, or choosing between Rask or Neuvirth?? I would keep Lundqvist. Then I would keep Rask for four years over Neuvirth. =)

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Hi Justin,

Question about Dustin Tokarski - will he get any time with TB this year, and does he have a legit shot at eventually being a solid #1? Smith and Ellis have not been great, and I think Desjardins is still a while away from making any impact (?). Tokarsi has been touted for a while...will he be another Justin Pogge? Is Desjardins the more likely guy to eventually take over in TB?

Thanks
    Well one thing I can tell you with 100% certainty - Tokarski is NO Pogge. Way more skill, mental toughness and consistency. I can't answer if he will get playing time with the Lightning this year for sure, but I don't think so. I think Desjardins has established himself as the #3 goalie because of his age and experience. The only way Tokarski gets called up over CD is if the Admirals need CD to help them win some games (see Grahame over Bacashihua in Colorado).

Desjardins is ready to make an impact in the NHL. He is at the right age and was super awesome in the AHL last year. The Lightning traded for him for a reason. If Ellis or Smith get hurt, he could come in and be like a Holtby and win and not look scared or tense.

CD is no more or less likely to take over in relation to Tokarski. It simply comes down to opportunity. But CD is more likely to get the FIRST opportunity, so we just have to see how it plays out!

But Tokarski is a brilliant long-term prospect worth owning in any keeper league. CD is more of a "NHL-ready-but-not-so-highly-touted-future-prospect" goalie

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I am deathly afraid of predicting anything regarding Thomas because I was 100% DEAD WRONG about him this season. And I feel bad that many people are probably suffering from it, as I had Rask labeled as the #1 goalie to own for a one-year league. FAIL.

Like all other inquries related to potential trades, it's really out of my control in regards to projecting it. It depends on offers, salary cap, etc. That's not my area of expertise. I don't think the Bruins are going to actively try and trade Thomas anymore. He is healthy and he wins games. Only if they have to sacrifice him for the good of the offense will he be moved. And Rask is the future, so he's not going anywhere.

Not too sure I understand the second part. You have to choose between keeping Lundqvist, or choosing between Rask or Neuvirth?? I would keep Lundqvist. Then I would keep Rask for four years over Neuvirth. =)
    Aw don't feel bad, it fills your mistake quota for the year, now you can predict freely without fear of being wrong

I have to make a choice this year, the goalie I pick becomes my one keeper goalie and the other two will go back into the draft for next year. However I've kept Lundqvist for 2 years now, so I can only pick him as my keeper for 2 more (4 straight years is the limit). Or I could start fresh with Rask or Neuvirth who are on vastly better and deeper teams.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hey Justin,

One year league (W, GAA, SV%, SVS, SO) - should I trade my Neuvirth for his Rinne?

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by jasdou View Post
    Hey Justin,

As usual, thanks for your time and always useful insight! DiPietro was just dropped in my keeper league (team in sig). I was wondering if he was worth grabbing, either with a waiver claim (6th out of 12) or as a FA (on Wednesday).

I grabbed Hedberg when Brodeur went down and I wouldn't mind swapping those two, I'm just wondering whether it's worth it.

Thanks!

(As a side note, would you start Bryzgalov against Detroit tonight? I'm leaning towards benching him!)
    Sorry about missing the Bryzgalov aspect of this question. I wouldn't have started him since I mentioned in School of Block that he is starting to fall back due to playing a lot of minutes, but he did awesome battling hard in that game and stopping 37 of 40. I will say that his rebound control was terrible compared to what it usually is. But he was definitely worth starting last night. But keep an eye out because a lot of shots at his chest and waist were bouncing back out instead of being absorbed.

DiPietro is worth owning over Hedberg but only if you spot-start him. Like, you won't roll with DiPietro on a nightly basis. But if he wins two in a row, then you begin to think about putting him in your lineup. But he's definitely worth owning over Hedberg.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by wombat104 View Post
    8 team pool, start 2 goalies. Cats are Save %, GAA, W and Shutouts.

My goalies: Fluerry, B. Johnson, Rinne, and S. Mason.

What to do? I can't cut a F or D to pick up another goalie so if I pick up a G one has to go.

Available: Hiller, C. Mason, Khabibulin, Elliot, Gustavsson, Garon, Lindbeck, Pavelec, DiPietro, and most other back ups.

Thoughts?
    I would drop Steve Mason for Jonas Hiller or Brian Elliott!! Rinne is struglging now but will be fine. Capping both Penguins goalies is a great siutation to be in. Hiller is quietly playing AWESOME and the team is over their brutal start. Plus he faces a ton of shots so the save percentage is more likely to be higher than most others. Elliott is on a roll and has basically established he's the starter. Leclaire is a band-aid boy to the extreme!!!

If I had to choose between Hiller and Elliott I would go with Hiller.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by TundraArc View Post
    Justin

I posted the below message back on your October 11 mailbag but I must've done so too late. I was hoping to get your feedback. The only change since then is I've managed to pick up Holtby. As a side note I missed out on Conklin.
    I guess I want to know if I'm actually improving my goalie situation or is it all just a lateral movement with so many unproven players at the NHL level. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We do have a farm team but because all these players came from FA I can't drop them down to my farm so I'm stuck with them unless I just out right drop them and hope no one else grabs them.

Regards
    David

I took over a team in a 18 team H2H Dynasty League. The goalie situation was an absolute mess with the likes of Labarbera, Biron and Backlund as my goaltenders. Through trade, and it probably wasn't the best of trades, I managed to get Leighton and JDD. I also dropped Labarbera and Biron in favor of Lindback and Karlsson. With Leighton on IR I also grabbed McElhinney but I'm not expecting anything there.

I've read your entries regarding JDD, Lindback and Karlsson and while they do sound postive and give some hope I have to wonder what does it mean for my team? I have Stamkos, but I really would like to avoid dealing him to land a netminder as he's a central piece on my team. Conklin was recently dropped and I can try for him or burn my 4th waiver priority, though I think it could be reserved for something better. Any insight or offerings would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry for missing your question last week and I'll try to offer up some options for you.

First of all, JDD is now in the minors so you should drop him and pick up Conklin if you haven't already done so.

What you should probably do is start a new thread in here with the available goalies on your waiver wire. That will help me create a plan of attack for your team. You need to do whatever you can to secure a starter in some way, shape or form. You might have to sacrifice some offense. But not Stamkos LOL. What goalies are available? There might be a hidden gem I don't know about!

Red face Rinne/Mason woes

Hey Justin, I know this mailbag was from yesterday..but i missed the chance to ask you a question and ive been waiting to ask you for a while but keep missing the opportunity. So hopefully whenever you get a free moment you could help me out, thanks in advance!

Im in a pickle of a situation with Rinne, Steve Mason, and Quick who is playing fine.

Its a 1 yr H2H league, and im wondering if i should drop Mason, or Rinne (who i picked really high in my draft cuz of Dobbers fantasy guide) for a FA from the wire..

I have Elliot, and Ellis availible of who i have interest in for swapping out one of the above.
    Also available is: Chris Mason, Rolie, DiPi, Lindback, Pavelec, Leclair, Boucher, Crawford, and Bernier.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks and keep up the great work
    10 Teams, Head to Head Yahoo League.

G,A,+-,PPG,SHG,Pims, GWG, SOG / GS, W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

Team:
    C - Malkin, Toews,
    LW- Cammalleri, Kovalchuk, Hall
    RW - Semin, Gionta
    D - Green, Visnovsky, Giordano
    Util - Eriksson
    G -Lindback(temp), Quick, Steve Mason, Khabibulan
    IR - Rinne

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Justin-
    I'm in a H2h league with max 3 goalies (only 1 start per night tho). I have Turco, Neuvirth, and Pavalec. I'm thinking of dropping Pavalec for Holtby, whadya think?

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by csingh View Post
    Hey Justin, I know this mailbag was from yesterday..but i missed the chance to ask you a question and ive been waiting to ask you for a while but keep missing the opportunity. So hopefully whenever you get a free moment you could help me out, thanks in advance!

Im in a pickle of a situation with Rinne, Steve Mason, and Quick who is playing fine.

Its a 1 yr H2H league, and im wondering if i should drop Mason, or Rinne (who i picked really high in my draft cuz of Dobbers fantasy guide) for a FA from the wire..

I have Elliot, and Ellis availible of who i have interest in for swapping out one of the above.
    Also available is: Chris Mason, Rolie, DiPi, Lindback, Pavelec, Leclair, Boucher, Crawford, and Bernier.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks and keep up the great work
    I would drop Steve Mason for Brian Elliott. If you wanted to take a bit more of a risk for the potential of more value over the course of the season, drop Mason for Dan Ellis. If you wanted to take an even bigger risk than that, drop Mason for Jon Bernier, although I advise you go with Elliott or Ellis, whoever you think will be better over the course of the season.

Don't worry about Rinne ... he's snap out of the funk sooner rather than later!

Dobber Sports Rookie

I would drop Steve Mason for Jonas Hiller or Brian Elliott!! Rinne is struglging now but will be fine. Capping both Penguins goalies is a great siutation to be in. Hiller is quietly playing AWESOME and the team is over their brutal start. Plus he faces a ton of shots so the save percentage is more likely to be higher than most others. Elliott is on a roll and has basically established he's the starter. Leclaire is a band-aid boy to the extreme!!!

If I had to choose between Hiller and Elliott I would go with Hiller.
    Appreciate the response. I have a trade out there to try and snag Bryzgalov. If I can't make that happen, I will be dropping Mason for Hiller.
    8 Teams, Start: 2 G, 6 F, 4 D (Non Keeper)
    G | A | PPP | SHP | +/- | PIM | GWG | W | GAA | SV% | SHO

F: Crosby, Datsyuk, Perry, Nash, M.Koivu, Zajac, Kessel, Eriksson
    D: Keith, B. Campbell, Kronwall, Weber
    G: Fleury, Johnson, Rinne, S. Mason

I would drop Steve Mason for Brian Elliott. If you wanted to take a bit more of a risk for the potential of more value over the course of the season, drop Mason for Dan Ellis. If you wanted to take an even bigger risk than that, drop Mason for Jon Bernier, although I advise you go with Elliott or Ellis, whoever you think will be better over the course of the season.

Don't worry about Rinne ... he's snap out of the funk sooner rather than later!
    thanks buddy, apprecaited as always. as i wrote this someone snapped up elliot, so i have no choice btu to pick up ellis. thanks again!
    10 Teams, Head to Head Yahoo League.

G,A,+-,PPG,SHG,Pims, GWG, SOG / GS, W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

Team:
    C - Malkin, Toews,
    LW- Cammalleri, Kovalchuk, Hall
    RW - Semin, Gionta
    D - Green, Visnovsky, Giordano
    Util - Eriksson
    G -Lindback(temp), Quick, Steve Mason, Khabibulan
    IR - Rinne