Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Story behind your username?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Story behind your username?

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    futuregreatness

Dobber was nice enough to switch my username the day I was born.
    Dobber is my godfather!! He named me Zorro at birth..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    Did you say Jehova?

Yep Gods name

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    Yep Gods name
    Duncan Keith?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Novice

Maybe the earliest legendary brother set in NHL history. Funny sounding names individually too.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the earliest legendary brother set in NHL history. Funny sounding names individually too.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wotan, aka Odin is among the Nordic gods, what Zeus is among the Greek ones. Now I'm narcissistic enough to write a post about my username, but it's not that bad that I claim to be godlike or even the father of all gods. There are several parallels though:

The most obvious one is probably that Wotan is blind on one eye as am I (don't throw cones at each other, guys!....). Then his attributed animals are the raven and the wolf. So it fits with my family name which is Wolfensberger (and also starts with the same two letters). Wotan was also said to be a poet - and I'm fully aware that this won't strike most of you as the coolest thing to do - I like writing poems, too (in my mother tongue though, not in English). Finally the whole nordic, belligerent theme goes well with hockey IMO, so Wotan kind of makes sense on several layers here.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by CleghornBros View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    Wotan, aka Odin is among the Nordic gods, what Zeus is among the Greek ones. Now I'm narcissistic enough to write a post about my username, but it's not that bad that I claim to be godlike or even the father of all gods. There are several parallels though:

The most obvious one is probably that Wotan is blind on one eye as am I (don't throw cones at each other, guys!....). Then his attributed animals are the raven and the wolf. So it fits with my family name which is Wolfensberger (and also starts with the same two letters). Wotan was also said to be a poet - and I'm fully aware that this won't strike most of you as the coolest thing to do - I like writing poems, too (in my mother tongue though, not in English). Finally the whole nordic, belligerent theme goes well with hockey IMO, so Wotan kind of makes sense on several layers here.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy when this thread gets a bump.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by no-one-twice View Post
    1st yr college my goal was to do no girl twice. Thus, no-one-twice on my COD account because some jerk decided no-girl-twice was a good idea before me. So like everyone, to keep things simple, I stuck with 1 online name ?no-one-twice?
    This is still my fave.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Was playing on a summer hockey team where we made a logo of a stick man standing at centre ice with his stick upside down for the face-off, and called ourselves the dippin' sticks. We pulled off one of those seasons where you lose every game until playoffs (everyone makes playoffs, then came together and won it all). Next year someone had the genius idea of putting a second guy with an upside down stick on the other side of our logo for the face-off, and then calling ourselves the Eskimo Brothers. I had no idea what it meant at the time, but the logo was still entertaining to me. So after perusing the forums for a month or so, I decided to make an account, but wanted it to be hockey related in my mind. First two or three ideas were taken, so I ended up falling back to Eskimo Brother. Looked up what it meant a few weeks later, and had a great laugh about it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports All-Star

I am a big Douglas Adams fan. Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy and all that. Wonko the Sane is a a bit character in one of the books (4 in the series). I always loved the Dichotomy of the name. In hindsight I would use the whole name and capitalize it. Ah well. Can I change it now? WonkotheSane....
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Icon

Love the name wonko, I immediately got the reference. I actually used a wonkothesane as my xbox gamertag a few years back.

I do have to correct you in that there are 5 books in the series though.

I may or may not be slightly obsessed with anything hitchhikers as my leg sleeve (ankle to knee) will attest to.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the name wonko, I immediately got the reference. I actually used a wonkothesane as my xbox gamertag a few years back.

I may or may not be slightly obsessed with anything hitchhikers as my leg sleeve (ankle to knee) will attest to.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post

Nice to find another avid Douglas Adams fan. What is the 5th book in the series? I am aware of only four.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Jedi

Wow... my name lacks a great story line behind it... I blank when picking names.... so I went with the last two pets I had, Luca (cat) Fenway (Blue Heeler - dog) hense, Lucafen. And ode to two pets I lost, one to a car, and one to a better fit of a home. Fenway's now a Disaster Relief search & rescue dog.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

There's a few of us fans on the forum. Fifth book is called "Mostly Harmless", it kind of gets the series back on track a bit after So Long and Thanks for All the Fish. Definitely fits in better.

After Douglas Adams death, they actually allowed an author named Eoin Colfer write a sixth book called "And Another Thing" that focuses on Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged but it was a big swing and a miss in my opinion. Lived up to it's title though as per Adams' original quote:
    “The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying 'And another thing...' twenty minutes after admitting he'd lost the argument.”
    - - - Updated - - -

There's a few of us fans on the forum. Fifth book is called "Mostly Harmless", it kind of gets the series back on track a bit after So Long and Thanks for All the Fish. Definitely fits in better.

After Douglas Adams death, they actually allowed an author named Eoin Colfer write a sixth book called "And Another Thing" that focuses on Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged but it was a big swing and a miss in my opinion. Lived up to it's title though as per Adams' original quote:
    ?The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying 'And another thing...' twenty minutes after admitting he'd lost the argument.?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Neil Gaiman wrote a companion book for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Neil Gaiman wrote a companion book for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    I own it. I'm pretty sure I own every iteration of the Guide including the original BBC radio series, TV series and even a trading card set.

You'd be hard pressed to find anything Douglas Adams related I don't have my hands on. Netflix has even made a Dirk Gently series now starring Elijah Wood, although I've only managed to get the GF to sit through one episode with me so far haha.