Thread: Steve Mason

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Steve Mason

Just like to get your take on him. Expectations?

I know Arniel is very loyal.

Dobber Sports Stud

(personal bias aside)

Loyal to what though? His numbers stink.

I think it's only a matter of time before it comes at least 50/50.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Ace

Hitchcock rode Mason straight into the unemployment line...I doubt Arniel will do the same.
    8 Team Roto League (1-year)
    Cats: G A +/- PIMs PPP SHP SOG SH% HIT BLK GAA SV% SVS W SO
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal
    D: Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Kulikov, I. White, Goligoski, Niskanen
    G: M. Smith, Emery
    BN: C. Stewart, J. Staal, Read, Brouwer, Ward, Hedberg, Pavelec, Bachman
    IR: Letang, Giordano

The King of Diatribes

GARON FINALLY GETS THREE STRAIGHT STARTS!!!!!!!!!!!

He only had to pitch two straight you-know-whats to get there.

Mason hasn't improved in the areas he needed to improve in - mental toughness and preparation. He doesn't take games seriously early on. He only plays well when he gets into it early and makes early saves and stretches that confidence out for 60 minutes. If he gives up an early goal, which is happening a ton, he's basically terrible. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. He simply does not prepare mentally for games. His technique is fine, subtle improvements and still has great size and speed combination. It's all mental for him.

Maybe a nice awesome run by Garon will FINALLY make him realize that he simply cannot just show up and expect to succeed. He has to PREPARE and start to think like a starter. Until he does this, he will always be wishy-washy and frustrating as hell to own. Play him at your own risk.

Arniel needs to play the goalie that wins. It's that simple. If they keep handing Mason starts that are not rewarded then Mason will continue to just "show up" and he'll never learn the crucial aspects of being a successful goalie on a consistent basis.

Case closed!

Dobber Sports Ace

Here's some thoughts I posted about him in a one-year thread:

Here's the thing about Mason....if you take out his two insanely hot months of November and December in 2008/09, and you get an average stat line each year that falls between 2.70/3.00 GAA, .905 SV%, and 1 SO per every 10 games. On average he won a game slightly less than half the time...and all these numbers were accrued while playing for a "defensive-minded" team.

The shutouts are nice, but those two peripheral stats (GAA & SV%) are actually below average. Quite simply, he is not an elite goalie. I think he found himself playing very well at the right time (injury to Leclaire) and at the right place (Hitchcock's reduce scoring at all costs system). People seem to forget what Pascal Leclaire did under similar circumstances on the same team the year prior...and no one is considering him have the potential to be an elite netminder.

He's another thing...Leclaire was drafted in the 1st round, 8th overall in 2001. Mason? 3rd round in 2006...69th overall. Drafts can be fickle, I agree...especially for goalies, but it seems many scouts felt that Mason did not have the star power that some currently perceive him having. Both Leclaire and Mason received a ton of praise while playing for a team/coach who took defensive team play to the extreme. When Hitchcock's system imploded last season, and it most certainly did, Mason's true statistical worth became evident.

To sum it all up...my conclusion is that Steve Mason is a decent yet unspectacular goalie who was able to capitalize on a perfect storm of timely injuries and phenomenal team play. He was able to convert two extraordinary months into a long-term contract and a full-time gig, and good on him. However, any expectations of him to perform at or even near the level he did during those two months in 2008/09 is wishful thinking.
    8 Team Roto League (1-year)
    Cats: G A +/- PIMs PPP SHP SOG SH% HIT BLK GAA SV% SVS W SO
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal
    D: Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Kulikov, I. White, Goligoski, Niskanen
    G: M. Smith, Emery
    BN: C. Stewart, J. Staal, Read, Brouwer, Ward, Hedberg, Pavelec, Bachman
    IR: Letang, Giordano