Thread: 1 year h2h goalie strategy help pls

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default 1 year h2h goalie strategy help pls

So its a 14 team 8x5 Yahoo league with goalie cats being W, SV's, SV% GAA, SHO. We can start 2C/LW/RW/Util and 4D plus 2G daily. We have a bench of 4

I drafted Turco, Thomas, Neuvirth and grabbed Bobber early off FA. Right or wrong I just traded Kopecky for Varlamov who I will tuck on IR and go back to the wire for a forward likely.

So Chicago, Boston, Colorado and Philly are the most attractive teams for yahoo playoffs in terms of games played. Caps aren't that great but slightly better than Cgy and Phoenix - I don't really want Bryz or Kipper for the playoffs.

Obviously carrying more than 3 tenders hurts my skater cats but to now I am owning the goalie cats, but it's not enough to do more than linger close to the playoff boundary. I made some skater adjustments though and should be okay to make the playoffs if nothing changes.

There are several teams in the league with weak goaltending. I think goalie trade value is pretty decent right now.

So you wizards - do you have any bright ideas as to how I should work around on these goalies to keep the best set and trade for O help?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd seriously consider moving Thomas. Right now he's your best goalie, which I think would help you get a decent return to help with your skater stats. I liked your move to get Varly because now you've got the Washington tandem, another factor which allows you to move Thomas because you won't be hurting for starts. Having Turco, Bob, and Neuvirth/Varly is a pretty decent goalie lineup.
    Another reason to move Thomas is that if Rask comes back to form, Thomas' value seriously drops. Of course there's always the chance that Thomas runs away with the job for the whole year, but I just dont' see that happening.
    12 Team H2H, KEEP 7, 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G (Min. 3 goalie starts)

G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, GAA, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom, Malkin, Kesler, Nielsen
    LW: Benn, Miller, J.Staal, Danault
    RW: P.Kane, Saad, Silfverberg, Brouwer, Coyle
    D: Carlson, Phaneuf, Yandle, , Vlasic
    G: Rinne, Gibson, Howard (IR)

Administrator

Prior to his consecutive shutouts I landed Thomas for the price of Cammalleri. At the time I felt it was a bit steep but ultimately necessary, I just wonder what the asking price would be now.

Of course, you are well aware that I'm not particularly confident with Bobrovsky so he again should be trade bait. But then again, I'm not particularly confident with any of your goaltending scenarios. I like your move to land Varlamov most of all because at least there you are insured but of course landing him puts an even larger emphasis on moving a goalie. When Varlamov gets back healthy you'll inevitably need to bounce someone and you obviously won't carry 5 goalies.

Now coudos to you for waiting and allowing Bobrovsky's value to increase. If I grabbed him to start the season I'd have been pushing him on Leighton's owner like he was cocaine. Now with news that Leighton will be out for like another month his value just received another bump so the time to trade might be now before he gets a chance to shat his momentum.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Giant

I do think Thomas is a huge sell high at this time. How's the Rask owner is doing? Maybe you can come up with a deal with him? Despite seeing his value increasing game after game, I don't see you getting a bigger return with Bob and I think Dobber is right and he'll give hard time to Leighton.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hey thanks guys - I really made a mess of the first post in the thread - this is a 12x6 league with Losses also in the goalie stats.

Anyway thanks for the input so far. I have decided that things are just too bloody iffy right now and I am going to let another week flow under the bridge and look at this again.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Hey thanks guys - I really made a mess of the first post in the thread - this is a 12x6 league with Losses also in the goalie stats.

Anyway thanks for the input so far. I have decided that things are just too bloody iffy right now and I am going to let another week flow under the bridge and look at this again.
    Sure! But I wouldn't let Thomas going cold before trying to deal him. I still think he's your best trade bait in terms of value.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh sure, but he could also be my best asset to win the league. Every sword has two sides.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Oh sure, but he could also be my best asset to win the league. Every sword has two sides.
    Oh sure I know and you can also deal Bob to Leighton's owner and reap the reward as well...

The Wolverine

Would it be worth putting Thomas on the block just to see what kind of offers come in?