Thread: Neuvirth or Steve Mason?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Neuvirth or Steve Mason?

I already have Luongo and Lundqvist, but also have Neuvirth and Steve Mason. I only want to carry three goalies but Neuvirth was sitting on the wire last week and could not resist, but ever since I have been trying to decide between whether to drop him or Mason. Keeper League, Head to Head, and goalie stats are wins, GAA, save percentage and shutouts.

I can always try and trade one but given that people know I probably need to drop one, they may not give anything good up for either. I can also hold onto both for a little longer and hope their value goes up enough that someone will trade for one of them.

Any input?

Dobber Sports Stud

I have the same problem in a one-year league. Four goalies, including Neuvirth and Mason, and I've tried to trade Mase but can't get anything close to equal value. I hate to drop any #1 goalie, but I need a depth forward.

In your case, I'd look at it this way: Mason's long-term job security is more of a sure thing, but a lot of people (including Angus) think Neuvirth is a better goalie than Varlamov, never mind the latter's injury proneness. I'd gamble on Neuvy. You're in great shape with the King and Lu, so you can afford to take that gamble for your third goalie. And if you win it, whose goalie would you rather have, Washington's or Columbus'?

Try the trade route first, but if you get stonewalled like me, I'd drop Mason when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by CommittedToTheIndian View Post
    I have the same problem in a one-year league. Four goalies, including Neuvirth and Mason, and I've tried to trade Mase but can't get anything close to equal value. I hate to drop any #1 goalie, but I need a depth forward.

In your case, I'd look at it this way: Mason's long-term job security is more of a sure thing, but a lot of people (including Angus) think Neuvirth is a better goalie than Varlamov, never mind the latter's injury proneness. I'd gamble on Neuvy. You're in great shape with the King and Lu, so you can afford to take that gamble for your third goalie. And if you win it, whose goalie would you rather have, Washington's or Columbus'?

Try the trade route first, but if you get stonewalled like me, I'd drop Mason when the time comes.
    Thanks for that, your thinking is very similar to mine. I hate having to get rid of either- I think that Mason is going to be a good goalie in this league, but I guess it is not sustainable over the long haul to have both. I am leaning towards Neuvirth but am definitely going to try and trade Mason first. He is a lot better than a lot of goalies out there, but I remember I tried trading Craig Anderson at this point last season and people laughed, and his record was far better than Mason's is now. (Although in hindsight I am glad people laughed at that, because he ended up helping me win the Championship!)

Dobber Sports Initiate

I recently traded Steve Mason away in one trade, and received Mathieu Garon in another.

The point is, with Luongo and Lundquist as your starters, you might as well keep the G3 with the best peripheral stats - he's not on your roster for wins. Neuvirth is more predictable than S.Mason, so far. No?

Dobber Sports Stud

Good discussion.

I would have to think long term into the season that Mason will end up with better stats. I'm still not convinced that Neuvirth will be the #1 starter in Washington. I think you will see a time split between Nuey and Varly when he comes back from injury - if he does..and if he stays healthy. (which I hope he does cause I'm holding him in my one year league.

That being said....I think by mid year, Mason will bounce back and start posting solid numbers. CBJ is a pretty good team (albeit not as good as Washington), and Mason should have plenty of opportunities to win.

I think Neuvirth is a gamble to say that he's going to be a starter mid season, where Mason is a for sure thing. There talent level is similar...with the edge going slightly to Mason I think.

I keep Mason on this one. Even though it's a very tough call.
    Team 1:

G, A, SOG, PPP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, SV%, GAA, SO

C - Matthews, Crosby, Point, Seguin
    LW - Miller, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Kaprizov, Schenn
    RW - Terry, Necas, Reinhart, Boeser
    D - Hedman, Pionk, Hanifin, McNabb
    G - Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Petry

Team 2:

G, A, PP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, GAA, SV%,

C - Kopitar, Hischier, Rantane
    LW - Panarin, Guentzel, RNH
    RW - Marner, Kucherov, R. Smith
    D - Makar, Hamilton, Heisknen, Dillon
    G - Vasilevskiy, Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Aho, Theodore

Dobber Sports Stud

And the trade value sinks lower tonight in Denver.

Believe I'll be dropping Mason before play resumes Monday.

Dobber Sports Pro

How is Neuvirth available like that? I dont get some of these leagues.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    He's not available. Reread.

Quote Originally Posted by CommittedToTheIndian View Post
    And the trade value sinks lower tonight in Denver.

Believe I'll be dropping Mason before play resumes Monday.
    My thoughts exactly. He is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    He is not available, had him on one league for 3 weeks and another for two (which is the one in question here). The issue is that both of us have 4 goalies and need to drop one of either Mason or Neuvirth. I was already planning on getting rid of Mason one way or the other, but after tonight's bad game, simply going to drop him.

As for Neuvirth's availability in general, until the last few days he was under 50% owned in Yahoo leagues, but that has shot up to about 72% after this week. It must have been his shutout combined with the second injury (or reoccurrence of the same one?) for Varlamov that must have got the masses interested, or something like that...