Thread: Todd McLellan - Not a Goalie Stats Coach

Super Moderator

Default Todd McLellan - Not a Goalie Stats Coach

Niittymaki has a 17-0 record against the Thrashers and a 8-2-2 record against the Hurricances.

So McLellan starts Niemi both of those games. I can maybe understand the Canes' game (as they can still come back) but the Thrashers' game? Like how often is a goalie 17-0 against a team? Maybe it's just the vodka talking but I don't get it.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Banned

Those are all past numbers though. They're not the same team every year. Although 17-0 is alarming, wow.

Dobber Sports Stud

Good point. Not just 17-0 but 1.76, .940. His last two years in Philly, I grabbed Niitty out of the FA pool whenever a date with ATL was upcoming because I knew he was money vs. the Thrash, and then I'd throw him back right after the game. Is he nursing a minor injury? Or maybe McLellan has already decided Niemi's his guy. I thought it was supposed to be an open competition until someone took the job and ran with it.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Those are all past numbers though. They're not the same team every year. Although 17-0 is alarming, wow.
    That's all I'm saying. Like I said, I understand the Canes game, but if you've got a goalie 17-0 against a team, you've got to start him. I'd understand if Niemi is their clear #1 (which he might be but maybe not officially announced) but how could you ignore 17-0?
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Administrator

It's my understanding that Niitty's dominance of the Thrashers arose from a rivalry with fellow Fin and former Thrashers goalie Kari Lehtonen who he has dominated in head-to-head matchups dating back to their years back in Finland.

Now obviously not every game that he won against the Thrashers was with Lehtonen in net but I think you get the idea. I'm more curious to see if McLellan gives Niittymaki the start in games against Lehtonen's new team and San Jose division rival, the Dallas Stars.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg