Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rask vs Thomas

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Rask vs Thomas

With all three games spread out this week for boston. Who gets the most starts?

Cheers
    H2H, 12 Gm'z, 12 keeper,5 Farm,8 reserve's A,G,DG,Hat.T,GWG,PPA,PPG,SHG,SHOG,SO,W, D'z 2 points for goal one for assits. Plus PPA PPG for defence. Dress 9 F 5D 1 G.

J.Tavares,C.Giroux,A.Kopitar,E.Staal,R.Getzlaf,P.K essel,J Neal,B.Burns

S.Weber,E.Karlsson,J.Gardnier,M.Streit
    Marc-Andre Fleury

Farm: T.Toffoli,N.Bjugstad,D.Hamilton,C.Ceci,D.Pouliot

Keepers Set for
    Updated Nov 2 2013

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Thomas will play the first game, I think. He's been great so far. Then depending on how he does will determine the starts.

Administrator

People are quickly finding out that Rask won't be a 65 game, 40 win goalie just yet. Thomas is a quality goalie and will get his share of playing time.

For this week I'd guess Thomas 2 games, Rask one game (based on how Thomas has played so far).

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

While you have a point, daoust, I don't see this lasting. Rask is far too good and Thomas far too inconsistent for this to continue. Rask will have 60 starts by season's end IMO. I'm hoping for more, but objectively can say that there's no way he goes 50-50 with Thomas this year.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    While you have a point, daoust, I don't see this lasting. Rask is far too good and Thomas far too inconsistent for this to continue. Rask will have 60 starts by season's end IMO. I'm hoping for more, but objectively can say that there's no way he goes 50-50 with Thomas this year.
    spoken like a true owner

TT has started 2 with a record of 2-0 a GAA of 0.50 and a S% of .980
    Rask has started 1 with a record of 0-1 a GAA of 4.01 and a s% of .890

guess who the coach is going to roll with as the starter for the first 10 games or so? Easy.

Administrator

I see your point, but I don't believe it will be as much in Rask's favor as many poolies are hoping. I'm thinking a 5:3 ratio in games. Rask is great but like any other young goalie will have some growing pains. I usually tend to be conservative with rookies (especially goalies) given the countless number of examples of young goalies struggling... Price, Fleury, Mason...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

I tried to share this with a few people before the drafts this year. I owned Rask, and traded him away for more reliable older production. I than took Thomas VERY late in the draft. Why?

Consider yourself the Management in Boston.

You have a young Stud goalie, that showed he can play. You have a Vezina winning goalie nearing the end of his career. You are paying that Veznia winner 5 million a year.

We saw a good partial season from Price in his 1st year, and than what happened? S. Mason? Don't think people are not paying attention. Will this happen to Rask, probably not, but MAYBE.

From a managers point of view, does it make sense to bury an asset like Thomas? He is a top goalie when healthy. Last year, he was not healthy. This year he appears to be.

If you were a manager, ask yourself. What would you do? Does it hurt Rask to share with Thomas? Answer: No! He is still learning. Why rush?

Does it hurt Thomas to share with Rask?

Answer: No. He is getting older, and would benefit from a little rest.

If we decide that Rask should run the show, can we trade Thomas if he doesn't play? Answer: No. What if he splits and has Vezina Thomas like stats. Could we trade him than? Answer: Yes.

If Thomas and Rask both play well, and push and share with each other, does this give our team, fans and Coaches confidence going into a playoff run? Answer: Yes.

Logic will prevail. Hopes and ill-fated bets will fall.

Expect roughly 35 games a piece at the 70 Game mark.
    2010-2011 Team Try Hard League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Pirate League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Elite League Champion

I'm the best! Dutch is the Worst.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thomas is too inconsistent? That is just plain irresponsible. Vezina trophy > injury year > he's back. Eat it!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Shoeless, I hope you're right. I traded Rask for Datsyuk. The owner of Datsyuk had Thomas and dropped him a week later. Of course, I picked him up on waivers and laughed my way to the top of the pool.
    The Untouchables Cup.
    C: Crosby, Giroux, J. Staal, Statsny, Desharnais
    RW: Voracek, B. Ryan, Brown, Gallagher
    LW: Parise, Landeskog, Lucic, van Riemsdyk
    D: Suter, Edler, Carlson, Girardi, Hamhuis, Giordano
    G: Rask, Luongo, Halak
    Categories:
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP,
    SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SHO
    10 Team Roto Limited Keeper
    3C, 3RW, 3LW, 2W, 1F, 6D, 2G, 3BN

Dobber Sports Demi-God

LOL- how nuts is that. Someone isn't thinking clearly. Time to go get Rask back on the cheap before something weird happens. Rask will get a goodly share of the starts.

Dobber Sports Icon

Thomas inconsistent? Really? I think you need to do your research man.

Thomas' save percentage since the lockout: .917, .905, .921, .933, 9.15

Those are pretty sweet numbers and the .905 comes from a year when the Bruins were horrible and finished 13th in the East.

In fact, the one thing Timmy is most consistent at is stealing the starting role. He did it to Raycroft (although maybe that was more Raycroft than Thomas) and he did it to Manny Fernandez.

I expect roughly an equal split betweent he two this year with either one sneaking up to 50 games if they play well enough or one falters. I've maintained this through the entire off-season and still feel it will be the case.

Also, Thomas will not be moved unless the Bruins fall out of the playoff race before the deadline. They have no reason to rush Rask along. Rask will be a superstar but right now it's good for him to not have to carry the team on his shoulders. Write that down.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

Um....Thomas IS inconsistent. That is why Rask was able to steal his job.

So, in the years where he was .500 and not Vezina quality, we have to point to how terrible the Bruins were, but of course Timmy had nothing to do with that....He wins a Vezina in a year where he only gets 54 starts and 36W. Bounces around the minors and europe for a number of years before even landing a permanent gig in Boston. Age is not on his side. He's by no means the starter of the quality of a workhorse. He is known to routinely have brain cramps and give up bad goals and his floppy style, while it may work for him at times, and even for stretches, is not sustainable. The Bruins gave him his contract because he pulled off a great year in a contract year and Chiarelli's hands were tied. Had Rask pulled the same year he did last year only one year earlier, Thomas would not be a Bruin and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I stand by my stance, in which I may stand alone, but I do. Thomas will not be the one of the two goalies who will end up with the most starts this season as he simply is not trusted by the coaching staff to the level that they now trust Rask, because Rask will be and is the more consistent of the two.

Thomas is a model citizen and can be an effective goaltender for some stretches, heck even long enough stretches, but don't make me believe he is a starter of consistent quality that you would take to the bank, year in and out, with the certainty that he will put forth the same effort, every night, for 65+ games.

You can disagree and already many of you do, but I don't trust Thomas, which is when, as Mcgoo so aptly pointed out, I went with Rask for my team in sig. when Thomas was plainly available to me.

As an aside, I feel like I can't make points about any players in my sig. bc people will think I am being biased lol. I should just not post my sig when doing so, because despite what people may think, my evaluation of Rask vs Thomas would be the same if I did not own either one.

The Beans will ride Thomas as long as he's hot, but he is not their guy. Rask is. Thomas will inevitably cool down and Rask will reclaim his job. He is the better of the two.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't think anyone said anything about him being a 65 game starter. I think what most everyone said is...expect a Banana split routine without the banana!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kickerz View Post
    ..expect a Banana split routine without the banana!
    lol.

I'll expect a 70-30 split...

I think this may also help Thomas's trade value (assuming he accepts a trade, as he has an NTC I think..) and maybe they will get Timmy's contract off the books..But something tells me they want to keep him around and he has said before he wants to stay. Model citizen that Thomas. Pretty much every team is up against the cap though, which makes Thomas pretty hard to trade, even if he becomes attractive with these early season numbers..
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ace

We will see I guess.