Thread: Interesting Draft at THN

I...am your father.

Default Interesting Draft at THN

So I go to the THN office for our annual draft, and my usual parking lot is under construction. After touring through a nearby parking garage without any luck, I park on the street a ways off. I get there about 15 minutes late and they already polishing up Round 5.

I figure what the hell - embrace the challenge. There were nine people in it (10 once I joined) and I accepted their offer of just grabbing five guys and then drafting in order from there. This is up against guys like Adam Proteau and Brian Costello, etc. Anyway, with about 45 players already off the books, I give it a shot. It's very interesting how my strategy changed and I had a lot of fun with it. Instead of taking any sure picks at all, I went pure sleepers and underrated players. I swung for the fences with each and every pick. My goal? Not to finish last. My real goal - get in the top half (i.e. Top 5).
    16 players, points only, all count. No trades, etc. Just as basic a draft as it gets. My team:

1. Giroux
    2. Roy
    3. Briere
    4. Hudler
    5. Leino

Then the draft resumed.
    6. Frolov
    7. Kesler
    8. Gagner
    9. Frolik
    10. Kunitz
    11. Paajarvi
    12. Filppula
    13. Filatov
    14. Horcoff
    15. O'Sullivan
    16. Comrie

??? Whoa!

Every player listed above "could" get 65 points, with at least four who "could" get 80. Best I could do, if I want a shot. There are also four or five players who "could" fall short of 25 points! But rather than take surefire guys in the 12th round who will get 55, or surefire guys in the 14th round who will get 45...I swung for the fence. Each. Time.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with it. Never experienced a draft like that before, but may do it again sometime - purposely handicap myself a couple of rounds and see if I can still get into the Top 5. It just changes the way you think, and your goals change. Thought I'd share!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

HAHAHA.. I have never actually heard of this ever happening. That is hialrious.

I find it very surprising that Kesler lasted until round 7?? I see him flirting with 80 points this year.. I definitely see him outscoring your first five picks Dobb's.. I don't think you will finish last though, as long as injuries don't come to you in the handfulls. Your squad will be fine.

What pick did they have for you before you showed up? It would really suck if you were late and you found out you had a top 3 or 4 pick..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

maybe you should show up earlier for your drafts haha

It's a pretty decent lineup considering the circumstances
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; October 7, 2010 at 6:20 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

keep us updated on how your team does during the season, im very interested to see how your team does

Dobber Sports Demi-God

??? This is a weird story ???
    Isn't this what cell phones are for?

So, these guys just SKIPPED your picks and then allowed you to take 5 guys in a row???
    These do NOT sound like a very considerate bunch of people to me.
    Damn... and I used to like the THN folk. WTF.

Nice draft though.

The Wolverine

Hey Dobber, how's your team doing so far?