Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - Sept. 27

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - Sept. 27

Here is the fantasy mailbag for September 27. Please take a few minutes to read today's School of Block so you are caught up in the changes I'm making in how I handle my weekly Dobber articles from now on. I think everyone will agree this is much better for all of the readers out there. Plus, you'll know when I post the long-winded diatribes on The Goalie Guild =)

I appreciate everyone's support over the last three years and looking forward to the new season and making you all better fantasy managers in the realm of goaltending! I have to go record Avalanche Weekly right now, so I won't be able to field questions until around 2:00p MST but will have all afternoon to answer them. Cheers and let 'em rip!!

Dobber Sports Giant

Your latest School of Block is not up yet, but I'm sure we'll agree! Anyway, we'll take as much as we can from you.

I've one more question regarding the question I've asked last week. I've completed my draft and I've been able to grab borh Bernier and Schneider and even Roloson (with my last pick). I'm super happy, but now it brings me a few "playing" questions.

Like I said in my original post, I have 2 goalie spots and they have 83 max. games each (166 games played in total). Do I play Luongo or Schneider all the time? Do I play Bryz all the time? When do I play the other two? I guess it could be a question of playing the matchups or not.

Again, my league settings are (3 pts for a W, 2 pts for a SO, -0.6 for each GA and 0.1 for each SV)

Thanks in advance!

Banned

Should I add Bernier in a one-year league to have as insurance for Quick? It's for the team in my signature. They have said they will reduce Quick's workload so how much action do you see Bernier getting?

Dobber Sports Genius

I drafted Robin Lehner in my keeper league. What can you say about him ?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He's good.

Dobber Sports Ace

Who would you pick between Lehner and Campbell? Wins and shutouts are the only scoring criteria. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Any words on Khabibulin.When will he serve his time to the society.Is he worth drafting this year.

thanks

Buckeroooooooooooos
    Buckerooooos

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks as always. In my league you can keep 1 goalie, or two if one of them is a prospect (3 years or less in NHL, I only kept Varlamov). Lundy, Bryzgalov, and Brodeur are all available, so I'm definitely grabbing one of them, and hopefully Neuvirth later.

I'm hoping for Lundqvist, but do you like him or Bryzgalov more in a keeper?

If I get Neuvirth, depending on how this year shakes out I also might consider keeping both of them and later tradethe stud I draft, do you think that would be a poor decision?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Hey Justin, thanks for the help!!

I have Niemi, Niittymaki & Stalock and have been offered Kipper & a prospect to be named later for them. We are a weekly head 2 head full keeper with the following stats: W, SV%, SO, GAA, Saves. We start 2 weekly and my other goalies are Jeff Deslauriers, Roloson & Leclaire...not the best I know.

I noticed you took Kipper pretty high in your draft and wanted to know if you thought I should do this deal. Kipper scares me but not nearly as much as the Flames potential to be bad, whereas, if Niemi grabs the job in SJ, he could be there for awhile.

I'll stop typing now before I confuse myself even more
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

The King of Diatribes

I am back from the studio and will start to answer questions now.

The Wolverine

Hi Justin, thanks for doing this.

1 year H2H league, 12 teams
    Goalie categories - W,GAA,SV,SV%
    Number of starting goalie slots = 2
    Minimum games per week=3

I have Vokoun, Ward and Pavelec. I have a couple of concerns:

1) Lack of wins - I don't have an elite #1 (well Vokoun is close to upper tier), and their teams are average at best IMO. Unless you think otherwise.
    2) All in the same division - might hurt me some weeks. Not sure if this makes a difference or not.

So, my question is whether I should pick up a 4th goalie as a backup for quality spot starts, and if so, who? I would be dropping an extra D that I don't need.

Peters (to give me Carolina's tandem, and I've read on here that you like him)
    DiPietro (worth a gamble?)
    Roloson (if not DiPietro?)
    Crawford (quality starts on a quality team? but how many?)
    Bernier (very good goalie, but like Crawford, how many starts?)
    LaBarbera (solid starts when called upon last season)
    Boucher (Leighton's back issues)
    Smith (hurt now but will he get #1 upon his return, or is it Ellis' job to lose?),
    or
    NONE (my goalies are fine as they are)

Thanks in advance.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    I've one more question regarding the question I've asked last week. I've completed my draft and I've been able to grab borh Bernier and Schneider and even Roloson (with my last pick). I'm super happy, but now it brings me a few "playing" questions.

Like I said in my original post, I have 2 goalie spots and they have 83 max. games each (166 games played in total). Do I play Luongo or Schneider all the time? Do I play Bryz all the time? When do I play the other two? I guess it could be a question of playing the matchups or not.

Again, my league settings are (3 pts for a W, 2 pts for a SO, -0.6 for each GA and 0.1 for each SV)

Thanks in advance!
    I don't think any goalie should be played all the time. Pay attention to the ebb and flow of Luongo's season. You will know when he is fighting the puck or amidst a losing streak and when he's at the top of his game. Don't just play him because he's Luongo. Same goes for any goalie, remember they are all victims of being in a good or bad rhythm.

If there's one guy you would be able to get away with playing all the time, it's Bryzgalov, because he's in a defensive minded system and he's more familiar playing in phoenix than he was last season.

So to answer your question, rely on Luongo and Bryzgalov, but always take the time to dissect the matchup and what kind of game the goalies are currently playing. You wouldn't want to start Luongo in Colorado on the tail-end of a long road trip after he suffered a loss in his previous game. Things like that are always going to give you an edge over the course of a season! A sharp decision here, a sharp decision there, it all adds up!

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Should I add Bernier in a one-year league to have as insurance for Quick? It's for the team in my signature. They have said they will reduce Quick's workload so how much action do you see Bernier getting?
    I would definitely get Bernier before it's too late. Ward and Mason are going to have decent seasons, but if Quick starts to slide, so will the potency of your goalies. Snagging Bernier guarantees you'll have three goalies getting starts and posting reliable stats.

I just heard today on NHL Network that Ersberg has been off the ice with some kind of slight injury, so every day he's not in the net, he's giving way to Bernier. So like I said in School of Block today, every day that goes by I'm more confident Bernier makes the team out of pre-season. Again, it's just a matter of time. Snag him while you can!

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Impressive camp and pre-season. Will probably stick in the AHL. Raises his level of focus and intensity when the game gets more intense. Pretty streaky. Very confident for his very limited experience in North America. Great size and movement. Legitimately one of the top-10 long-term keeper prospects out there. Elite NHL starter upside. Very well-coached and has a lot of positional structure and consistency to his style. Is not afraid to abandon that structure and make the desperate save.

Will be interesting to see how he performs in his first few AHL games. I was a firm believer that another year in juniors was the best move for him, but the more I get a chance to watch him, the more I think he'll be fine in the AHL .... but he needs to play games and that means less games for Mike Broduer.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Brady19 View Post
    He's good.
    LOL.

Yeah, remember guys, it helps to be as specific as possible. If I get questions like "Is Goalie X going to be good?" or "Who should I draft?" without any details, I'm just going to answer randomly and most likely go off on a tangent.

Keep the questions flowing but make sure they are specific so I can help you out as much as possible!