Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are they serious about Tim Thomas?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Cloghaun View Post
    If Rask does do well out of the gate do you think they'll try & trade Thomas & his $5mil?
    Unfortunately Thomas isn't worth that cap hit right now... so naturally they will have to play him for a few games to show the league that he still has his skills coming off the hip surgery. I actually see this being a big injury risk for Thomas... he has trouble controlling his temper and won't be able to control himself in the crease... that hip could take a beating. Especially if they rush him back.

That said, if Boston plays wisely, I would expect to see the Lion share of starts go to Rask through October and early November... then they will start to cycle in Thomas... if Rask is standing on head at that point, it will take Thomas a long time to get two starts in a row. By the New Year, they will ride hot hand to market Thomas, and Thomas will get into one part of all B2Bs. Thomas will put a few good games together and goalies around the league will continue getting hurt... offers come in, and Thomas finally shipped off! At that point I will be having a house party with several kegs of seasonal flavors!!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thomas will play plenty..if only to showcase for a trade and becaue of his contract....but it's funny how quickly everyone forgets who won the Vezina 2 years ago....and that he was playing hurt last year...

Will be interesting...as a Boston boy, I like it...
    C : Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Tavares
    LW: Hoffman, Gaudreau, , Lee, Kane
    RW: Atkinson, Eberle, Radulov(LW), Ehlers,(LW)
    D: Karlsson, Trouba, Ristolainen
    G: Rantaa, Gibson, Hellebuyck, Lehner
    IR: Howard

Non-Keeper, 10 teams, H2H, G, A, Pts +/-, PIM, Hits, SOG, PPP, W, GAA, Sv%, SO, SV, Start 2 each pos, 4 D, 2 Util

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    you do know Thomas won the Vezina the season before last right?
    Cant believe it took til the 2nd page of this thread before someone brought that up. There's been so much hype for Rask after his great season last year, but he didnt accomplish what Thomas did the year prior as the starter.
    If Thomas is healthy it shouldnt surprise anyone if he earns the #1 role back; that said, if Thomas does earn the #1 duty back, I think he's gonna immediately be shopped around the league. With that fat contract tho and so many contending teams with cap issues, it may take til the trade deadline or the offseason before a team can fit that salary.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Cant believe it took til the 2nd page of this thread before someone brought that up. There's been so much hype for Rask after his great season last year, but he didnt accomplish what Thomas did the year prior as the starter.
    If Thomas is healthy it shouldnt surprise anyone if he earns the #1 role back; that said, if Thomas does earn the #1 duty back, I think he's gonna immediately be shopped around the league. With that fat contract tho and so many contending teams with cap issues, it may take til the trade deadline or the offseason before a team can fit that salary.
    Just out of curiousity... how would you rank Rask against your team's goalies (Price, Quick, Khabi, Neuvy)... there seems to be a lot of goalie question marks this season...more than usual, no? Every one of mine are risky, and for that I have to carry four...five if you include Leighton on IR...

All this talk of Rask going 50/50 now... is making me worry more! To rest myself easy, I'm saying screw you Thomas advocates...I'm going with the Goalie Guild and Dobber... and maybe you should be happy to do so as well with Neuvirth on your roster... You gotta feel pretty good about Varlamov's "something going on"!
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    Just out of curiousity... how would you rank Rask against your team's goalies (Price, Quick, Khabi, Neuvy)... there seems to be a lot of goalie question marks this season...more than usual, no? Every one of mine are risky, and for that I have to carry four...five if you include Leighton on IR...

All this talk of Rask going 50/50 now... is making me worry more! To rest myself easy, I'm saying screw you Thomas advocates...I'm going with the Goalie Guild and Dobber... and maybe you should be happy to do so as well with Neuvirth on your roster... You gotta feel pretty good about Varlamov's "something going on"!
    I would take Rask over anyone of my goalies, except maaaaybe Price, seeing as he's guaranteed #1 duties and has just as high a potential as Rask. And he's my favorite player.
    Rask is already a great goalie, and may very well be the best in the NHL if he gets the chance to prove himself over the next 2 years, but as long as Thomas is a Bruin and is healthy, Rask's numbers will suffer. Much like Ryan Miller when he still had Biron nipping at his heels.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

There's been so much hype for Rask after his great season last year, but he didnt accomplish what Thomas did the year prior as the starter.
    Rask wasn't given the chance to be a starter.....

Also, Rask in 45 games had a GAA of 1.97 and save % of .931

Thomas in 54 games had a GAA of 2.10 and a save % of .933

I don't think 11 games would of skewed the numbers that much.....If given the chance Rask has the ability to be a top 3 goalie....but as someone mentioned earlier, Id be shocked if either goalie played more than 50 games

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Injury Prone View Post
    Rask wasn't given the chance to be a starter.....

Also, Rask in 45 games had a GAA of 1.97 and save % of .931

Thomas in 54 games had a GAA of 2.10 and a save % of .933

I don't think 11 games would of skewed the numbers that much.....If given the chance Rask has the ability to be a top 3 goalie....but as someone mentioned earlier, Id be shocked if either goalie played more than 50 games
    Both had great numbers, only 1 got a Vezina trophy.
    As you said tho Rask didnt get enough games in tho to stand a chance.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Man am I ever happy as a Leafs fan that we kept Poggie (for awhile) and traded Rask for Raycroft!! Good Move....cry

Dobber Sports Ace

I would take Rask over anyone of my goalies, except maaaaybe Price, seeing as he's guaranteed #1 duties and has just as high a potential as Rask. And he's my favorite player.
    Rask is already a great goalie, and may very well be the best in the NHL if he gets the chance to prove himself over the next 2 years, but as long as Thomas is a Bruin and is healthy, Rask's numbers will suffer. Much like Ryan Miller when he still had Biron nipping at his heels.
    Good call donions! I'm hoping they can trade Thomas and then I'll have Rask run the show in my fantasy playoffs...