Thread: status on once regarded top picks

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default status on once regarded top picks

hi justin,

could u give me some insight on the current status & future status of leland irving & al montoya..what has happened? what will happen? a detailed analysis would be greatly appeciated

The King of Diatribes

Leland Irving had a great season in 08-09 w/ the Quad City Flames, his first in the AHL. So I think because of how he performed, the expectations in 09-10 were to improve on that season and really establish himself as the next backup to Kipper.

But things didn't work out for him. He struggled mightily in Abbotsford. He went from a 2.23 GAA and .912 SV% in 08-09 to a 2.76 GAA and .905 SV% ... then he was dropped down to the ECHL in favor of David Shantz and posted a GAA slightly over 3.0.

So he took one step forward, then two steps back.

This year the pressure is on to re-establish a presence in the system. He is being squeezed from both sides by Karlsson above him and Lamoureux/Keetley below him. The margin for error is slim. If he fails to play better than last season, his long-term value and his reputation will begin to fade. Other goalies in the system will get more opportunities and Irving will not have as many chances to build up confidence or get into a rhythm.

I think he will be fine. He's a good goalie, just seems to lack the headstrong confidence needed. He has to KNOW he's good enough to play in the NHL and he needs to be more assertive on and off the ice. I want him to be more energetic, more adamant, more bold. Otherwise he'll always kind of flirt with AHL/NHL and never truly "blow up" talent wise.

Al Montoya is a really good skilled goalie as well, works with awesome goalie coach and has good size. I know what he's capable of doing in the NHL, I was at the game where he shut out the Avalanche late in the season. But injuries are ruining his career. Staying healthy is the most important thing for a goalie that is trying to push f rom the AHL to the NHL with high expectations. Being in the Coyotes system is gold for him, too. If he is able to stay healthy this year and have a couple of strong streaks, he'll have the inside track on the backup position next year. And once he gets into Tippett's system, he has the skill to stay there and thrive.

Matt Climie is not going to make it easy for Montoya to get a lot of playing time...but one step at a time. Let's see if he can stay healthy and get on a couple of rolls early in the season. That will go a long way in how things shape up when it comes time for the Coyotes to make decisions with Bryzgalov and LaBarbera (both are UFA's come July 1).

Hope that helps!! Not as detailed as I could have been but yeah =P