Thread: Pre-ranking for roto autodraft - Rinne or Kiprusoff?

The Wolverine

Default Pre-ranking for roto autodraft - Rinne or Kiprusoff?

1-year Roto, 10 teams
    Goalie categories: W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO
    (there are 10 skater categories)

I'm pre-ranking for an autodraft and I'm going back and forth between these two. I agree with many others that I expect Rinne to have a very good year. However, I also expect the same from Kiprusoff. He had a great season last year when even with the Flames struggling, and I don't see any reason for that to change this year.

Also keep in mind their Yahoo default ranks: Kiprusoff 44 and Rinne 49.

But I will be ranking both higher up, and hopefully get one of them as my #2 (targeting Bryzgalov as my #1). I'm leaning on Rinne, because of shutouts, but not sure what I should expect with the other peripherals.

Who should be ranked higher between them, given these categories? Please explain your choice.

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Expert

Yeah I dunno tough choice...

I think with Kipper you have a lesser individual stat goalie, but a slightly better team. With Rinne you have a better statistical goalie, but a slightly worst offense behind him.

I kinda looked in their career splits against their division rivals (since they'll be spending the most time against their division), and there's a slight advantage to Rinne.

Kipper career(vs Oilers, Nucks, Wild and Avs)
    83-52-19, 2.45 GAA, .911 sv%

Rinne career (vs Wings, Blues, Hawks, Jackets)
    21-11-3, 2.30 GAA, .924 sv%

So I dunno it's a really tough call... I don't think there's gonna major difference between the two. I kinda prefer Rinne over Kipper, but I don't really have any solid reasoning for that basis.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

The Wolverine

Thanks for your thoughts, and that's an interesting look at divisional records. However, it's not easy to compare given the lack of starts for Rinne, and also that he will have a full workload the first time in his career.

The deciding factor might be shutouts, as it will have more of an effect on the overall standings (i.e. one shutout could move me up a ranking point or two, whereas it may take a few wins to do that). However, shutouts are difficult to predict year to year.

Yeah it's a tough call, and you can argue either way.

Dobber Sports Genius

I would rate Rinne higher at this point. NSH is far surperior than CGY and much more organized (especially in the back), that I see him literally winning all these cats. Their skill level is most likely a wash-pick the guy with the better more defensively sound team.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    I would rate Rinne higher at this point. NSH is far surperior than CGY and much more organized (especially in the back), that I see him literally winning all these cats. Their skill level is most likely a wash-pick the guy with the better more defensively sound team.
    Agreed. I know I'm a bit biased cause I just picked him, but for those 5 categories Rinne should beat Kipper. Especially in shutouts where Rinne is coming off B2B 7 SO seasons compared to Kipper's B2B 4 SO.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Giant

Yeah, I think the other guys convered it pretty much and I would also pick Rinne before Kipper.

The Wolverine

It's unanimous in favour of Rinne. Thanks guys.